Just a couple things I noticed on the rewatch… | Syracusefan.com

Just a couple things I noticed on the rewatch…

Jake

Mod
Really funny moment was Meeks cleaning his catching gloves on Fran’s shirt. There was no reaction from Fran. Like it was no big deal. Just seemed to tell me how comfortable the players are with Fran and he doesn’t big boy them. It’s a delicate balance to walk though.

On that clutch 3rd down throw to Meeks where McCord sidestepped a blitzer, LQA absolutely slobberknockers the other blitzer to the ground. An absolute de-cleater. I’m guilty of being somewhat frustrated watching Allen run the ball, but he brings the detail and intangibles to the position that you expect from veteran players. We need to appreciate how he plays the game.

We bag on Duce (rightfully so sometimes), but he chased down that Receiver in the 4th and we held them to a FG before the onside. If he doesn’t, it’s a 3 point game with 3+ minutes on the clock. I’m not sure they need to onside at that point.

The 4th down TD throw to Meeks was mccord’s 2nd read. He looked to OG first. Absolutely sick throw because he really was off balance and just aimed the throw into that tight window.

Meeks attacks the ball - love that about him.

Last edited:
Really funny moment was Meeks cleaning his catching gloves on Fran’s shirt. There was no reaction from Fran. Like it was no big deal. Just seemed to tell me how comfortable the players are with Fran and he doesn’t big boy them. It’s a delicate balance to walk though.

On that clutch 3rd down throw to Meeks where McCord sidestepped a blitzer, LQA absolutely slobberknockers the other blitzer to the ground. An absolute de-cleater. I’m guilty of being somewhat frustrated watching Allen run the ball, but he brings the detail and intangibles to the position that you expect from veteran players. We need to appreciate how he plays the game.

We bag on Duce (rightfully so sometimes), but he chased down that Receiver in the 4th and we held them to a FG before the onside. If he doesn’t, it’s a 3 point game with 3+ minutes on the clock. I’m not sure they need to onside at that point.

The 4th down TD throw to Meeks was mccord’s 2nd read. He looked to OG first. Absolutely sick throw because he really was off balance and just aimed the throw into that tight window.

All great points especially the one about deuce.

some other interesting plays/opportunities, where we definitely left some meat on the bone and NC State capitalized.

First a little 180 pound receiver, ear holed Diggs on the long pass TD play, which kept him from being able to pursue down the line of scrimmage. Should’ve been an illegal blind side block. (Not sure if it was downfield too.)

When we had first down at the 10 yard line or so, they had 10 in the box against our running formation, and one contain outside of the box. Our fullback cleared that guy out, and if Willis immediately takes it outside, he walks into the end zone. Instead, he runs right into the pile. Better awareness of the formation is something he will learn.

later, on the fourth down crossing route to Meeks, all of our receivers wind up running left, and the right side of the field is empty. If we run an out rather than a cross, or laquint releases, it’s an easy touchdown. Hard to nitpick those things, but they were there.

Curious as to your issues with Laquint.

I just don’t think he has great vision for running back. He does all of the other things extremely well. He’s tough, he’s physical, he receives the ball. Well, he protects well. I just don’t think he has great open field vision to see holes. But he gets positive yardage all the time.

I just don’t think he has great vision for running back. He does all of the other things extremely well. He’s tough, he’s physical, he receives the ball. Well, he protects well. I just don’t think he has great open field vision to see holes. But he gets positive yardage all the time.
It's a lack of speed. Hits holes late

I think this last game Fran's head coach persona on the sidelines has quickly evolved into what it's gonna be. After a long run under Captain Placid, it's fun to see the energy.
I read that as Captain Flacid. Both work well.

I could not agree with this post anymore than I do.

The more I watch LeQuint, the more I think that he has some very leaguey qualities as a third down back. It is a niche role in a saturated market, so no idea if he sticks, but I will be very surprised if a team or two doesn't at least give him a chance. 31 receptions six games into the season is absurd from a running back.

People were frustrated with Dontae Strickland too but, just like LQA, he’s a winner who does everything you need him to.

In the re-watch, it was refreshing to see Wohlabaugh get a few snaps on OL. In particular, he had a nice block on the TD to Umari Hatcher.

Also, maybe a weird comment, but Marcellus Barnes and Marlowe Wax looked good on the side line. Celebrating big moments - etc. Nice to see them moving around.

Agree on Duce. He has had some big chase downs - the NC State game, and then I believe also the Ohio game. He hustles all over.

I don't believe we've mentioned Alijah Clarke's name on here a bunch - and I take it as a good thing. He has been making plays and has had good coverage. He hasn't hit a home run ball, but no news is good news.

Also, I know its tough to not think like this, but considering the limited amount of action from Justus Ross Simmons, its frustrating to burn a red shirt this season on it.

Also, I know its tough to not think like this, but considering the limited amount of action from Justus Ross Simmons, its frustrating to burn a red shirt this season on it.
I don’t think he’s even been targeted by McCord. He has been getting some reps.

He’s a little slow to the hole to, which I’m nitpicking but it can add up, His lack of vision is what limits him though and the plays where he has a great run and instead of looking for more yards he just puts his shoulder down and tries to run over the defender. All and all though he’s above average and does everything else well.

Imagine Tucker on this team! Or I should say 2021 or 2024 Tucker.

Maybe not all the time though.
The Crow Movie GIF

The play where he got into the open, and about 12 yards downfield, the defender dove towards his knees, instead of hurdling the person, or he could have literally stepped on and over the guy, he went out of his way to get really low and collide with the defender.

He came up holding his shoulder & left the game. But, continued playing later. He could have gotten 10 more yards easily.

But, like you say, just nitpicking.

Last edited:

The more I watch LeQuint, the more I think that he has some very leaguey qualities as a third down back. It is a niche role in a saturated market, so no idea if he sticks, but I will be very surprised if a team or two doesn't at least give him a chance. 31 receptions six games into the season is absurd from a running back.
It's the fact he gets to the 1st down marker on 3rd downs and catches anything near him.
Every NFL team would love to have him for 3rd downs.

He’s a little slow to the hole to, which I’m nitpicking but it can add up, His lack of vision is what limits him though and the plays where he has a great run and instead of looking for more yards he just puts his shoulder down and tries to run over the defender. All and all though he’s above average and does everything else well.
Agreed. He actually looks for contact in the open field vs avoiding it. Kid is a FB in a TB body

LeQuint seems to be a quarter step slow, couple that with his average vision and the result is all these ankle tackles. Hes so close to being elite and he just might get there. Also think he needs a little patience, instead of seeking contact maybe a little hesitation before a lightening burst to the sideline.
Ill take him on my NFL team as 3rd down back/STs and a future leader with potential.

Hes gonna get his chance and he gives off heavy Zaire Franklin vibes...In that he is #UnCuttable.
Hes got IT just like Zaires got IT.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom