Just a quick reminder as to why we need to pound Rutgers this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just a quick reminder as to why we need to pound Rutgers this year

Out of conference they beat North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio, Howard, Navy, and (in the bowl game) K-State. It's not a bad list, but lacked a signature OOC win you can really get excited about. Now you put a "State" after that Ohio team they beat and we can talk... Both their losses that year were in conference. In fact, Rutgers has never had fewer than two losses in any Big East season. It's a wonder how they were able to win all those conference championships that are filling up their imaginary trophy case.
Yeah, that is better than I would have guessed. That is a good season, hardly enough to claim dominance over the northeast.

Yeah, that is better than I would have guessed. That is a good season, hardly enough to claim dominance over the northeast.

It's worth noting that they followed up that epic "greatest season in college football history!" with an 8-5 campaign that featured wins over Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk St, Army, and (in the bowl game) Ball State. This season was inexplicably not rewarded with an end of the year ranking. In fact, 2006 remains the only time in the last 35 years they accomplished that feat (we did it 10 times in the last 25 years).

The higher they place their expectations and their perceptions of who they think they are, the greater the emotional fall-out will be when reality finally sinks in.

I say, let 'em dream about national championships on the not so distant horizon and the epic battle the B1G and SEC will eventually wage for the honor to add all that is RUTGERS and their rich history of football success.

Out of conference they beat North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio, Howard, Navy, and (in the bowl game) K-State. It's not a bad list, but lacked a signature OOC win you can really get excited about. Now you put a "State" after that Ohio team they beat and we can talk... Both their losses that year were in conference. In fact, Rutgers has never had fewer than two losses in any Big East season. It's a wonder how they were able to win all those conference championships that are filling up their imaginary trophy case.

It's not a bad list until you look at their records that season.

North Carolina was 3-9
Illinois was 2-10
Kansas State was 7-6

But...but... they hired a CBS Exec as their commissioner. He will lead them to the promised land...right? Right? Probably a bigger deal that the ACC currently has...right? Right? Probably as big a deal as the SEC has...right? Right? :rolleyes:

If a better TV deal was "in the bag" as some seem to feel, then why did they need to hire a TV guy to head the Conference? You don't call a plumber when there aren't any problems with your plumbing. This, if anything, is a strong indication that Revenue is their biggest problem. Because the guy's is going to suck at other critical parts of that job ... like having credibility with the University presidents and ADs.

Who knows what the future will hold. It's just that the NNBE walks like, smells like, and in so many other ways resembles C-USA. It's a grab-bag of left-over programs from conference expansion. And the history of C-USA and other efforts (Metro?) seems so clear.

If TV networks are driven by whatever forces to pay a huge amount for that then they are dumber than they look. If I'm a TV exec, I'm not staking my career on paying a lot of money for Louisville, or Cincinnati, or SMU or Houston and hoping the thing catches fire.

15th winningest football program.
Power in the 80's/90's.

Talk about stopping a thread in it's tracks.

I need a shower after reading that. Won't miss playing them one bit. Then again, I'm sure they think we'll be reminiscing about our noon match-ups with them when Miami, FSU, Clemson, and VT are rolling into the Dome.

It's not a bad list until you look at their records that season.

North Carolina was 3-9
Illinois was 2-10
Kansas State was 7-6
I believe a GRob coached SU team crushed that same Illinois squad to put that win in perspective

You have to love a program that has had one mediocre year in its history saying that SU has had only 10 good seasons (laughable). Obviously there have been far more than 10 years better than their BEST year. Could it be argued that Marrone's second year, just two years ago, was as good as Rutgers' best year?
Syracuse is #15 in all time wins for a FBS program. Ahead of schools like Florida, Texas A&M, Michigan St., Wisconsin, and Ole Miss.

But yea, we've only had 10 good seasons. :rolling:

Syracuse is #15 in all time wins for a FBS program. Ahead of schools like Florida, Texas A&M, Michigan St., Wisconsin, and Ole Miss.

But yea, we've only had 10 good seasons. :rolling:

Especially since college FB didn't start playing 12 games until about 10 years ago and 11 game seasons in the early 70s before that 8-9 and 10 game seasons were normal. Can't wait to leave that delusional fan base in the dust. BTW, the ACC's worst program has been to the Rose Bowl. Rutgers best bowl game was played in Houston on the NFL Netork.

I guess when you schedule Howard, Army, Kent State, and Tulane you can aim big.

Holy crap. I didn't think that was serious until I looked it up.

With regards to the quantity of derogatory nicknames that they have been able to fashion for Syracuse, quite cleverly I might add. When one's name (Rutgers), conjures up such images of failure and utter disgrace, why would we be inclined to mess with it?

Sissycuse and sarahdouche are my favorite.

As far as my favorite name for Rutgers, I have to go with Jersey State. But what came first, was Rutgers embarrassed to be associated with the State of New Jersey, or was New Jersey embarrassed to be associated with Rutgers?

I actually do like when UConn fans call us "Fruit U." I just think that's actually kind of clever and sort of funny, given the huge citrus crop in CNY and our anthromorphic orange mascot.

Rutgers is just another game. Prior to the Big East, we played them about 20 times, in about 100 years. We probably will not play them often after we head to the ACC. They were never a rival and most people outside of northern NJ realize that. In fact, most people outside of NJ realize that Rutgers has not had a perennial good team, let alone a championship caliber team.

I add one fact to all of the facts previously mentioned: Big East Championships: Syracuse: 4; Rutgers 0 Not too shabby for a "loser" school compared to a national "power" like Rutgers.

They should be embarrassed for themselves. They invented football and started playing it from day 1 and they still suck at it.

The worst part of kicking their @ss this year is that it will be in front of a newly remodeled empty stadium.

I don't know why a wasted time reading some of that. It isn't more than childish bickering.
child·ish/ˈCHīldiSH/

Adjective:
  1. Of, like, or appropriate to a child.
  2. Silly and immatur

They should be embarrassed for themselves. They invented football and started playing it from day 1 and they still suck at it.

The worst part of kicking their @ss this year is that it will be in front of a newly remodeled empty stadium.

wrong... they ar good at sucking

the only good thing that came out of jersey is an empty greyhound bus

Sat. 9/1
Rutgers @ Tulane

Sat. 9/8
Rutgers vs Howard

Sat. 9/15
Rutgers @ South Florida

Sat. 9/22
Rutgers @ Arkansas

Sat. 10/6
Rutgers vs Connecticut

Sat. 10/13
Rutgers vs Syracuse

Sat. 10/20
Rutgers @ Temple

Sat. 10/27
Rutgers vs Kent State

Sat. 11/10
Rutgers vs Army

Sat. 11/17
Rutgers @ Cincinnati

Sat. 11/24
Rutgers @ Pittsburgh

Thu. 11/29
Rutgers vs Louisville

if things go right, they could end up 2-5 to start the season. If things really go right, they will finish 2-3 with an overall record of 4-8 (0-7) :)