Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies

So much to read and so many thoughts and suggestions.....at least we won. I honestly think JB was struggling to get the best five on the floor but he is totally supportive of the players that helped him get through last year. He recognizes that Kadary is the better ball handler, better defender but he is a freshman. He likes what Woody has done over the past four games but he is also a freshman. Griffin has scored and rebounded well for most of the first five games, Buddy can light it up on a moments notice but has missed 3 games and a lot of floor time due to the second 14 day quarantine. Joe was his PG for nearly the entire year last year, is a deadly free throw shooter and can hit long 3 pointers. Quincy and Dolezaj were staying in the game period.

What it all boiled down to was who is not going to play when you put Kadary into the game, which he did, someone said, for the last 13+ minutes? My thoughts as shared with many if not most others is that Buddy and Griffin should have shared the last 13+ minutes as Kadary played. For some reason JB decided to go major minutes with Buddy. We will never know why but let's hope JB will also learn more about his game finishers with this recent experience. We are still early in the season, this was a tough game because we played so lousy, with no disrespect to Northeastern who played nearly half of the game without their PG. I sure hope AG just had a bad game and will come out ready to play on Saturday. I just don't agree that this was watching JB's worst tendencies. We had a tough game with a pumped up opponent and several players either off or not ready to play. We are still a work in progress trying to blend incoming skilled players with veterans from last years that gave us their all.

Joe was good. He absolutely was one of the reasons we won.

5-16 shooting and 2-9 from 3 isnt going to get a very good or great from me though.
needs to be more efficient

looked “better” than it was because of how bad others looked. Buddy & Griffin were terrible to nonexistent. Marek was mediocre or less at best.

We were LUCKY to win that game. 11% from 3 and 31% from 2....ugh that was ugly.

I mean, we won. It could be worse.

There's just stuff that makes no sense.

What does Joe do that makes him so indispensable that he can't come off the floor? I don't get it.

Why are perimeter players allowed to shoot themselves into a rhythm by taking overly deep and/or early in the possession and/or off balance shots, while we have a super efficient dude in Guerrier that can get good shots and go to the line whenever we want, and we completely ignore him on the block?

Why do we tolerate consistently poor defense at the top of the zone and treat the player that singlehandedly solves the problem like an option of last recourse?

How come it's an accident when we get a backup 5 in the game?

I know. JB has a magic slide rule. It just seems like we could make things so much easier for ourselves.
Couldn’t have said it better, man...
I know Joe had a good amt of points, but my lord, his 30 ft 3s and poor decision making is frustrating. Defense is poor as well, although smart guys in here will come back and say he had 6 steals tonight. If JB wasn’t so loyal to Joe and wanted what’s best for the team, he’d start KR and bring JG off bench as instant offense.
And never giving Edwards a chance is sad. He actually looks pretty damn solid when he comes in now. And he is HUGE. Looks to have put on weight. God forbid we give him a chance. It’s more fun to complain about our lack of size inside and just say our young bigs aren’t ready.

again, great post. Spot on.

looked “better” than it was because of how bad others looked. Buddy & Griffin were terrible to nonexistent. Marek was mediocre or less at best.

We were LUCKY to win that game. 11% from 3 and 31% from 2...ugh that was ugly.

This is what happens when you keep playing cold shooters instead of giving them a break.

Boeheim used to do the same with GMac. How many times do you forgive a 3-14 game because he hits the "winning shot".

Maybe if you sat the guy for a few minutes, he might have made a few more before the very end, and we wouldn't have needed that "winning shot".

What made the other guy appear more interested? The running off-balance airball? Gimme the rebounds.
Seriously? Take a look at his body language and his total lack of attention while JB is talking to team during timeout.Missing shots is one thing, but this cat was in la la land out there.

I mean, we won. It could be worse.

There's just stuff that makes no sense.

What does Joe do that makes him so indispensable that he can't come off the floor? I don't get it.

Why are perimeter players allowed to shoot themselves into a rhythm by taking overly deep and/or early in the possession and/or off balance shots, while we have a super efficient dude in Guerrier that can get good shots and go to the line whenever we want, and we completely ignore him on the block?

Why do we tolerate consistently poor defense at the top of the zone and treat the player that singlehandedly solves the problem like an option of last recourse?

How come it's an accident when we get a backup 5 in the game?

I know. JB has a magic slide rule. It just seems like we could make things so much easier for ourselves.

I agree with all of this. I love Joe's six steals but he gets too much time on the court. I also agree with making things more difficult on us not at least trying to feed the ball to Q.

I got to be honest the Griff vs Buddy vs Newton end of game deal is inconsequential to me. I didn’t think anyone was playing well. You can argue any of the 3 in any direction to me.

the story to me is Kadary needs to play more so we arent down to Northeastern.

if he plays from the beginning of the game, we are up comfortably imo.
and I can back my opinion by pointing to the plus/minus
...and I’ll follow that up by pointing out he has the BEST Box Plus Minus On the team, even ahead of Q. Buddy is currently negative. Just facts here.

also top 3 PERs are Q, Kadary, and Newton

I got to be honest the Griff vs Buddy vs Newton end of game deal is inconsequential to me. I didn’t think anyone was playing well. You can argue any of the 3 in any direction to me.

the story to me is Kadary needs to play more so we arent down to Northeastern.

if he plays from the beginning of the game, we are up comfortably imo.
and I can back my opinion by pointing to the plus/minus
...and I’ll follow that up by pointing out he has the BEST Box Plus Minus On the team, even ahead of Q. Buddy is currently negative. Just facts here.

also top 3 PERs are Q, Kadary, and Newton

Part of Guerrier's efficiency comes from the fact that we don't use his game as much as we could.

He's so efficient though, that there's room for his usage to go up, with the expectation that his efficiency will drop some, that net we're probably much, much better off doing that than having less efficient players maintain their current usage.

TL;DR - Give Guerrier the rock dammit

Part of Guerrier's efficiency comes from the fact that we don't use his game as much as we could.

He's so efficient though, that there's room for his usage to go up, with the expectation that his efficiency will drop some, that net we're probably much, much better off doing that than having less efficient players maintain their current usage.

Qs usage% at this point is concerning at a minimum. If it doesn’t improve in the next couple of game, it’s absolutely fair to question a couple things at play here

Querrier should be our go to guy when we need a bucket. It’s pretty easy to see. Just give the ball to him at the elbow and let him work. It will open up things for other players going forward.
It's so, so weird to me when the offense is stalling why we don't look to the post. Chances are good, especially when you have a guy like Guerrier there, that it's likely you're going to get a good shot inside or get fouled, or create the opportunity to swing the ball for a better perimeter look.

But like, nah, it's cool, let's have a dude shooting 1-8 or whatever huck up something from outside so they can get in rhythm instead.

Qs usage% at this point is concerning at a minimum. If it doesn’t improve in the next couple of game, it’s absolutely fair to question a couple things at play here
Well, I unfairly question it now. ;)

It's so, so weird to me when the offense is stalling why we don't look to the post. Chances are good, especially when you have a guy like Guerrier there, that it's likely you're going to get a good shot inside or get fouled, or create the opportunity to swing the ball for a better perimeter look.

But like, nah, it's cool, let's have a dude shooting 1-8 or whatever huck up something from outside so they can get in rhythm instead.

Yeah. It was most noticeable in the Rutgers game. He was working, we had a lead at the end, and he never touched the ball the last 4 minutes.

What I like about Guerrier is he is making the bunnies he often missed last year. His rebounding has also improved. He just seems more intense, not sure if some of this was due to injury last year.

[/QUOTE]
If only JB understood the entire bench should be starting. Yeah 6 steals is definitely teh earmarks of a bad defender. Yet let Kadary get a steal and he is the "D" player of the year in the NCAA. Truly Kadary is a better defender but to ignore what Girard did with 6 steals is ridiculous at best adndshows lack of honestly at worst. To discredit those who have a math understanding and use the mindless defense that we are smart in a snide way when we point out what you wont or cant understand is middle school reasoning. It is lacking in honesty adn integrity unless you truly are middle school age fan.
Couldn’t have said it better, man...
I know Joe had a good amt of points, but my lord, his 30 ft 3s and poor decision making is frustrating. Defense is poor as well, although smart guys in here will come back and say he had 6 steals tonight. If JB wasn’t so loyal to Joe and wanted what’s best for the team, he’d start KR and bring JG off bench as instant offense.
And never giving Edwards a chance is sad. He actually looks pretty damn solid when he comes in now. And he is HUGE. Looks to have put on weight. God forbid we give him a chance. It’s more fun to complain about our lack of size inside and just say our young bigs aren’t ready.

again, great post. Spot on.
What makes this a spot on post? I have seen precious little from our other bigs to even pretend they should be given more minutes in a very close game. God forbid the crew that knows so much more than the guy who watches these guys in games and in practice realize how little they really know. Your snide little complaint about "smart guys" pointing out 6 steals is silly. Steals are a part of defense. Thought you might want to consider that. Unless of course another "spot on" anti-JB posters blinds you again.

What I like about Guerrier is he is making the bunnies he often missed last year. His rebounding has also improved. He just seems more intense, not sure if some of this was due to injury last year.
I'd imagine it's pretty likely a combo of playing healthier, along with some growth and maturation of his game at this level.

We went to the post with Marek a couple / few (?) times, he didn't convert. The looks were generally good yesterday but the execution was terrible.

Heck, AG had an open lane in the 2nd and instead fired up and clanked a 3.

Querrier should be our go to guy when we need a bucket. It’s pretty easy to see. Just give the ball to him at the elbow and let him work. It will open up things for other players going forward.

And - he’s not a black hole, so if somethings not there after a few moves, he’ll kick it back out to a shooter.

Q and/or Marek need a paint touch on every damn possession.

If Northeastern could do that against us, we should be able to do it against opponents too.

If only JB understood the entire bench should be starting. Yeah 6 steals is definitely teh earmarks of a bad defender. Yet let Kadary get a steal and he is the "D" player of the year in the NCAA. Truly Kadary is a better defender but to ignore what Girard did with 6 steals is ridiculous at best adndshows lack of honestly at worst. To discredit those who have a math understanding and use the mindless defense that we are smart in a snide way when we point out what you wont or cant understand is middle school reasoning. It is lacking in honesty adn integrity unless you truly are middle school age fan.

Glad you brought up math...as Kadarys steal % is double Joe’s and his Defensive plus minus is triple joe‘s

We went to the post with Marek a couple / few (?) times, he didn't convert. The looks were generally good yesterday but the execution was terrible.

Heck, AG had an open lane in the 2nd and instead fired up and clanked a 3.
I mean, I'm good with it if we go inside and don't convert. Keep at it.

I'd imagine it's pretty likely a combo of playing healthier, along with some growth and maturation of his game at this level.
JB talked about some of this in his presser. It seems to be a combination Of Qs physical strength/speed/aggression, having Marek at the high post (to drag the 5 up), and the movement they get out of their motion offense to create opportunities for Q to get position inside. Q is killing defenses so far with his ability to move, get position, and his pure aggression inside.

He would be far less effective, I think, in a back to the basket, post up style offense like some are suggesting.

It will be interesting to see how the better defenses we face adjust to Q. I would guess that teams are going to start to double down immediately with weakside help. This will open up looks for the shooters. I expect to see Buddy sliding to the weakside wing out of the motion offense when the ball enters the low blocks. This will be tough to defend.

He would be far less effective, I think, in a back to the basket, post up style offense like some are suggesting.
I would like to know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom