Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies

I got to be honest the Griff vs Buddy vs Newton end of game deal is inconsequential to me. I didn’t think anyone was playing well. You can argue any of the 3 in any direction to me.

the story to me is Kadary needs to play more so we arent down to Northeastern.

if he plays from the beginning of the game, we are up comfortably imo.
and I can back my opinion by pointing to the plus/minus
...and I’ll follow that up by pointing out he has the BEST Box Plus Minus On the team, even ahead of Q. Buddy is currently negative. Just facts here.

also top 3 PERs are Q, Kadary, and Newton

Yup. And bigs tend to have higher PER’s than guards. That he is that high up is impressive. His PER, TS%, O and D ratings...all that stuff is way better than Joe’s. Their minutes and roles should basically be flip flopped for the most part. The exceptions might be if the other team is in a zone, or if Joe is just having one of those nights where he’s on fire from 3.

Yup. And bigs tend to have higher PER’s than guards. That he is that high up is impressive. His PER, TS%, O and D ratings...all that stuff is way better than Joe’s. Their minutes and roles should basically be flip flopped for the most part. The exceptions might be if the other team is in a zone, or if Joe is just having one of those nights where he’s on fire from 3.

im even fine if we want to start Joe and Buddy and see if they are on. because if they are, we probably beat anybody. But it has to come earlier in the first half and not for a 4 minute pop in.

im even fine if we want to start Joe and Buddy and see if they are on. because if they are, we probably beat anybody. But it has to come earlier in the first half and not for a 4 minute pop in.

If he’s not starting I’d like him in by the 12 minute mark or so, and in for the rest of the half or at least most of it, in most cases.

JB talked about some of this in his presser. It seems to be a combination Of Qs physical strength/speed/aggression, having Marek at the high post (to drag the 5 up), and the movement they get out of their motion offense to create opportunities for Q to get position inside. Q is killing defenses so far with his ability to move, get position, and his pure aggression inside.

He would be far less effective, I think, in a back to the basket, post up style offense like some are suggesting.

It will be interesting to see how the better defenses we face adjust to Q. I would guess that teams are going to start to double down immediately with weakside help. This will open up looks for the shooters. I expect to see Buddy sliding to the weakside wing out of the motion offense when the ball enters the low blocks. This will be tough to defend.
Great post. Love the third paragraph

Reactions: 007
18 mins isn’t enough

One thing that I noticed from a few early games is that Kadary seemed to be out of shape. He gave up on plays and was clearly winded at times. Maybe JB is limiting his minutes until he gets into shape?

Is JB still doing his show? You could send a question in. May or may not get answered how you want but still good to throw it out there.
I should totally do that SWC style. Lay out great context and everything.

"Coach, I recall that back when Otis Hill was our starting center our offense would begin each game by feeding the ball to him in the post, and because he was such a good offensive player on the interior, it almost always resulted in an easy basket to start the game. Since then we've had other great interior scorers like Arinze Onuaku and Rakeem Christmas, especially as a senior, but lately it seems like we don't prioritize back to the basket touches anymore. It looks like Quincy Guerrier could be the next in our line of guys that can do damage posting up. When the offense is struggling, do we not look to feed the post to try and get easy buckets, or does it just seems like that because the defense takes that play away from our play call?"

Last edited:
It's so, so weird to me when the offense is stalling why we don't look to the post.

It's what we've done for years (or 'not done' to be more precise). When's the last time this program made a concerted effort to develop a post game? Christmas's senior year? Seems like if we don't have a dominant center (Rakeem, Onuaku) or mayyyyybe a really good PF, we don't bother with an inside game.

It's what we've done for years (or 'not done' to be more precise). When's the last time this program made a concerted effort to develop a post game? Christmas's senior year? Seems like if we don't have a dominant center (Rakeem, Onuaku) or mayyyyybe a really good PF, we don't bother with an inside game.
I have been saying this for years. To mostly deaf ears on here.
How our “guard” assistants can’t teach the guards to actually pass inside is just infuriating. The iso crap doesn’t work unless you have NBA talent.

I submit that JB may not know for sure, and cite the surprise that has been Woody Newton's on court performance as evidence.
JB doesn't see these kids in person during recruiting evaluations. He doesn't run the practices. How sure can he really be?

Meh

The one time that Jim really had the wrong lineup and took too long to fix it was 16-17 when we wasted the nonconference starting Frank, and playing White at the 2.

That team hit its stride and played reasonably well in the ACC, once the best lineup got figured out. That was a tougher one than normal though because we were bringing in two grad transfers and I believe White didn’t even get here until September.

This year also has its challenges with the lack of a summer for the program, late start, COVID shutdown, etc.

Developing and finding roles might be tougher this year due to that.

Really seems we generally play better with Kadary in there.

One thing that I noticed from a few early games is that Kadary seemed to be out of shape. He gave up on plays and was clearly winded at times. Maybe JB is limiting his minutes until he gets into shape?

Kinda like he did with Fab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom