Just for S&G - today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just for S&G - today

Hope to meet you guys one day either way. Just had two rounds of successful interviews for same company so I hope it works out. I've been a lousy no goodnick this entire summer but took mini vaca in poconos.

Hope to meet you guys one day either way. Just had two rounds of successful interviews for same company so I hope it works out. I've been a lousy no goodnick this entire summer but took mini vaca in poconos.

Good luck!! Hope you get it!!

We laughed at Rutgers getting left behind and everything turned out well for them. Odds are UConn will move to a P5 conference before too terribly long as well.
Maybe, but their options have shrunk pretty far. Rutgers gives the B1G the NYC TV sets (if absolutely nothing else) so it seems unlikely they'd be a candidate there. They'd be a great fit for the ACC, but the only way that happens is if ND decides to go all in and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. The Big 12? Maybe... as an Eastern partner for WVU to get to 12 with cincy or BYU... but that's not exactly a layup either. And unless one of these DOES happen soon UConn athletics will shrivel into true mid-major status in the AAC. If that happens they're no longer the prettiest girl left in the bar when expansion does happen and likely are passed by for USF, UCF, and possibly many more that right now you might not expect but are in more desirables locations like Houston, Memphis, or East Carolina etc.

Maybe, but their options have shrunk pretty far. Rutgers gives the B1G the NYC TV sets (if absolutely nothing else) so it seems unlikely they'd be a candidate there. They'd be a great fit for the ACC, but the only way that happens is if ND decides to go all in and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. The Big 12? Maybe... as an Eastern partner for WVU to get to 12 with cincy or BYU... but that's not exactly a layup either. And unless one of these DOES happen soon UConn athletics will shrivel into true mid-major status in the AAC. If that happens they're no longer the prettiest girl left in the bar when expansion does happen and likely are passed by for USF, UCF, and possibly many more that right now you might not expect but are in more desirables locations like Houston, Memphis, or East Carolina etc.

All fair except assuming RU opens NYC on their own. If they can't carry the leverage to land BTN on tier 1 by themselves, UConn could be the continuation bet.

All fair except assuming RU opens NYC on their own. If they can't carry the leverage to land BTN on tier 1 by themselves, UConn could be the continuation bet.
Fair enough, I just doubt the B1G would invite that train wreck of Rutgers without some assurances that doing so would get them what they want. But... if not, that would certainly change things.

Does Gonzaga need their conference? Butler? Xavier? Yukon basketball is not about to become irrelevant. Their football program is far more vulnerable than basketball. If anything blocks their entry to a real conference it will be the deterioration of their football program. Their arrogance, which I won't miss, should take a well deserved hit.

Does Gonzaga need their conference? Butler? Xavier? Yukon basketball is not about to become irrelevant. Their football program is far more vulnerable than basketball. If anything blocks their entry to a real conference it will be the deterioration of their football program. Their arrogance, which I won't miss, should take a well deserved hit.
Gonzaga is a short term exception to the rule. They turned a couple well publicized Cinderella runs into an extended period of good recruiting. UConn might be able to hang onto the level of Butler or Xavier, but those are quality mid-majors, not teams you consider to be anywhere near an elite level. UConn may get a spot in the Big-5 conf's in the next few years, if they do they'll be fine. But say a decade goes by in the AAC... no big Mondays... no conf tourney anyone cares about... they WILL fade. Maybe not to nothing, as I said they could be a solid Xavier like mid-major. But they just as easily could become UMass. UMass was a power program in the mid-90's in the FF with Cal. Then he left and with no conf to boost them they fell right back to their current level.

Gonzaga is a short term exception to the rule. They turned a couple well publicized Cinderella runs into an extended period of good recruiting. UConn might be able to hang onto the level of Butler or Xavier, but those are quality mid-majors, not teams you consider to be anywhere near an elite level. UConn may get a spot in the Big-5 conf's in the next few years, if they do they'll be fine. But say a decade goes by in the AAC... no big Mondays... no conf tourney anyone cares about... they WILL fade. Maybe not to nothing, as I said they could be a solid Xavier like mid-major. But they just as easily could become UMass. UMass was a power program in the mid-90's in the FF with Cal. Then he left and with no conf to boost them they fell right back to their current level.

It comes down to Ollie and March. If we continue to outshine big-time programs like SU in March, we'll be fine.

I think we might have a NC run in us this year.

Gonzaga has been living off one great tourney run for 14 years. I would not hope to be that if I was a UCONN fan.

It comes down to Ollie and March. If we continue to outshine big-time programs like SU in March, we'll be fine.

I think we might have a NC run in us this year.
Short term you're fine. 2,3... maybe four years of continuing to recruit with the big programs. Kids for that long still remember Kemba etc and you still are in their minds as big time. In that time if you were to make another title run it'd give ya another 5 years or so (REALLY don't see this year, but worse teams have won). Or... you find a way into a power 5 like I described (or someway as of yet unforeseen) in which case the problem is, of course, solved. If however you're just a nice sweet sixteen team for the next 2-4 years, those kids who were 10 when Kemba won a title and have been watching SU and Duke on TV while UConn plays SMU with nobody watching will forget you exist. The clock is ticking. No pressure on your kids now, but they aren't just playing for themselves... its win and win big... or your athletics die forever. I always liked UConn until the attitude of a lot of their fans lately (not necessarily all). So part of me wants to say good luck... but part of me wants to see their a$$hat fans watch their team die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom