Just Got a Call from My NBA Scout Friend... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just Got a Call from My NBA Scout Friend...

I disagree. Obviously Brandon will not be a superstar, maybe not even an NBA starter, but he should be able to make a roster and eventually a rotation.

Shumpert and Nichols both good, but not great shots, and both of them had very limited overall games with weak handles for a three - not a good NBA formula. Gerry simply lacked size & athleticism. If he was 6'4" with slightly better athleticism he may well have been an NBA star, but unfortuantely he wasn't.

By contrast Brandon does everything well as you point out, though nothing great. I was very impressed with his cool and his handle in breaking the Ville press. His biggest strength is his strength. As he learns to use his body to bully he will become most consistent. There is no reason he shouldn't develop into a solid backup NBA PG who can play a little two.

Nichols was a great shooter. Led the Big East is scoring.

to congratulate me on the W. He had watched the game on the tube.

We chatted for a few minutes. He was very impressed w MCW's play at the end. Said he had him in his Top Six and maybe moving him up a couple of notches after yesterday's game. We both compared MCW to Rondo (when he first came out) with similar skills & shortcomings.

He talked about Brandon & he said he could make a nice early to mid second round pick for somebody.

Haven't you heard? We should be VERY concerned if MCW turns out to be anything like Rondo..

:confused: :bat:

Thanks for the second hand info on how our players might project into the NBA and other pro leagues. I know this is part of the equation, but it should be apparent that only the very best players have a shot at the pros. (a tiny percentage of hundreds of amazing young athletes go on to play for pay) In fact, the college BB game is a remarkable stage in itself, and much more than a farm system for the NBA. Very seldom does a pro game have the flow (velocity) and intensity of the SU-Louisville game. Using the professional measuring stick to savor the remarkable performances in yesterday's game is patronizing and undermines the emotional grip of collegiate competition. A study of the photography from yesterday's game reveals the intensity of the struggle. No knock on the pro game or those who think the NBA is the zenith of the sport, but let's never deny or cease to appreciate the magnificent reality of the college game.
to congratulate me on the W. He had watched the game on the tube.

We chatted for a few minutes. He was very impressed w MCW's play at the end. Said he had him in his Top Six and maybe moving him up a couple of notches after yesterday's game. We both compared MCW to Rondo (when he first came out) with similar skills & shortcomings.

He talked about Brandon & he said he could make a nice early to mid second round pick for somebody.

I think he does everything well FOR A COLLEGE PLAYER. Relative to the NBA, I think he's a below average ball handler, athlete, passer, average shooter, and possibly a good defender.
That really IS the point.
It's a HUGE jump from college to the NBA.
Just look at many Syracuse stars of years past: terrific college players but not able to make it in the NBA.

Triche does seem to have an NBA-level body & NBA-level strength.

This is such a cruddy draft class I wouldn't be shocked to see Triche move into the late first round. Maybe CJ too?

Obviously Brandon will not be a superstar, maybe not even an NBA starter, but he should be able to make a roster and eventually a rotation.

Yeah, but how many SU alumns are current rotation players in the NBA right now? His chances aren't all that great...without the elite skill.

I assume you're not trying to argue that Triche is a good shooter in the NBA based on basically one half of a college game, right?

When he makes it in the NBA then I will reply to that.

But I am baffled by your reply as I said nothing about the NBA,only L'ville game

Brandon should get a good look at the NBA - he's pretty solid overall - could be quicker and taller for a 2 guard but he does a lot of things well - best pro prospect we have is Grant and then MCW (they are locks) - Southerland has a shot (if Bonner can play so an he) - RAK and Coleman have good chances too if they progress - Coleman really would need to move over PF though

When he makes it in the NBA then I will reply to that.

But I am baffled by your reply as I said nothing about the NBA,only L'ville game

It seemed like you were implying that because Triche had a great first half, he must be a great shooter as an NBA prospect. Am I wrong?

And define "making it". Like, getting consistent minutes? Or just making a team?

that surprises me considering he had trouble handling the defensive pressure and we had to have Triche bring the ball up the court.

Agreed. He had a rough first half, which I had assumed would turn off scouts. The things at which he failed would be important to an NBA team, and the manner in which he came back in the second half seemed less predictive of NBA-level success.

It was great to see how much he 'battled' back and did not shrink from the moment. That stuff bodes well, but I'm still concerned about the first half crumbling — those early issues are why I wish he would stay another year, to better prepare himself. That said, if he leaves, I'm going to be happy with Ennis+Cooney+Buss+[Guh]benjie next year.

It seemed like you were implying that because Triche had a great first half, he must be a great shooter as an NBA prospect. Am I wrong?

And define "making it". Like, getting consistent minutes? Or just making a team?
at this point you are just looking for a pissing match

Brandon should get a good look at the NBA - he's pretty solid overall - could be quicker and taller for a 2 guard but he does a lot of things well - best pro prospect we have is Grant and then MCW (they are locks) - Southerland has a shot (if Bonner can play so an he) - RAK and Coleman have good chances too if they progress - Coleman really would need to move over PF though

Why not everyone? Our top 8 will all be nba rotation guys

If Triche was an NBA-level player, he would already be in the NBA.

I'm glad we're excited about Grant but let's pump the brakes a little bit on that one folks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If Triche was an NBA-level player, he would already be in the NBA.

Why? Plenty of seniors get drafted.

I'm glad we're excited about Grant but let's pump the brakes a little bit on that one folks.

You don't see it? I think he's got potential written all over him. That's what the NBA looks for, not actual basketball fundamentals and skill.

I think we get another year out of Grant, but that's it.

Why? Plenty of seniors get drafted.

For guards especially, I just feel that if you have the talent to make an NBA roster, scouts usually identify it after your sophomore year or so. How often do 4-year guards get drafted and then stick around the league?

For guards especially, I just feel that if you have the talent to make an NBA roster, scouts usually identify it after your sophomore year or so. How often do 4-year guards get drafted and then stick around the league?

Last 2 drafts 40 seniors have been taken. 14 were guards.

You don't see it? I think he's got potential written all over him. That's what the NBA looks for, not actual basketball fundamentals and skill.

I think we get another year out of Grant, but that's it.
We're over rating our own guy. A lot.

I see lots potential. I also see unbelievable pedigree. What I don't see is sure fire NBA. Those types of players ooze talent. As unprepared as Fab Melo was as a freshman it was obvious what he could be. Same with Waiters, he just got there a lot faster than I thought.

Grant has barely shown anything so far, but he'll show more as he plays more. I'll hold off on worrying about him being early entry NBA until he does. FWIW I think he's better than Fair was as a freshman and people used to be all about Thickburger's draft potential.

I know Triche is a senior and MCW is a sophomore but Triche is only 8months older than MCW both were born in 1991. Triche and MCW are the age of a typical junior. My biggest concern with Triche in the pros is he doesn't run pick and role very well, and most teams run a ton of pick and roles.

We're over rating our own guy. A lot.

I see lots potential. I also see unbelievable pedigree. What I don't see is sure fire NBA. Those types of players ooze talent. As unprepared as Fab Melo was as a freshman it was obvious what he could be. Same with Waiters, he just got there a lot faster than I thought.

Grant has barely shown anything so far, but he'll show more as he plays more. I'll hold off on worrying about him being early entry NBA until he does. FWIW I think he's better than Fair was as a freshman and people used to be all about Thickburger's draft potential.

grant is probably our most surefire since melo/dion. hes a shooting star and will be out of here before we know it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom