Just got back from the show... | Syracusefan.com

Just got back from the show...

SWC75

Bored Historian
...after a little shopping.

Everyone was great to me. Bud, who's a nice guy, whatever you think of his column, showed me around and kind of led me through the show. Josh Murray joked that I'll be after his job but I have no idea what all those buttons are for. I did encounter the "Goz" and he was very nice as well. I didn't see Mike Lindsay so i was unable to to comply with some poster's request regarding Mike. But that's just as well.

Jarhead Jim did call in and was very complimentary. We also had Dan, who wants Shafer fired and thinks anyoine is an idiot who doesn't agree with him. Then we went for him to Chuck in Manlius, the most polite caller in the history of talk radio, who always apologizes for taking up people's time, etc. It was quite a contrast.

I didn't take notes but but I recall saying that, although i wasn't ready to fire Shafer, the games over the week showed that "defense" first teams don't make it in college football anymore. Even Alabama and TCU, who were noted for their defense, are geared to outscore people. Defense is still important but the scores are becoming basketball scores. I compared it to the 1940's in basketball, when it went from a 40-30 type of game to an 80-70 type game and the 40-30 coaches either had to adjust or they eventually lost their jobs.

I also asked Bud if he's ever gotten around to asking Michael Carter-Williams the question I suggested last year: Was there ever a point during the 76's 26 game losing streak, which was concurrent with SU's 25 game winning streak, when he wished, even for a moment, that he was back at Syracuse. He hadn't had the opportunity because he doesn't have much contact anymore with NBA players, although he knows MCW does talk to Mike Waters and Donna Ditota occasionally. I joked that we now know why Mike left Syracuse: he didn't want to talk to Bud Poliquin any more.

I used that to segue into the the quesition(s) I've already posted that I will ask Jim Boeheim tonight about players being able to come back to school after the draft if they don't like their draft position or even coming back to school after their pro career has faltered to get their degree and play for their college team. But was concerned in the first instance that the NBA would have lost their draft choice for that year but then admitted: why would we care?" The ineligibility is a college rule, not an NBA rule. He was concerned it might damage the relationship between the NCAA and the NBA. I wondered how losing so much talent to the league might have damaged that relationship already. he was intrigued by the second part of it, saying he'd never thought of that before. He'll have to think about it.

Kyle Turley of the Rams sent Bud a series of tweets about this story:
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...impossible_road_to_get_into.html#incart_river

Bud's position is that the tiny number of athletes who "make it" in pro sports should be emphasized to tell young people that they need to broaden their horizons and begin building a life for themselves through education and not expect sport to be the answer to their problems or desires. he's clealry right about that. I added that with the shortness of the careers and the tendency of even successful athletes to wind up broke, even if you are among the small percentage that "make it", you need to have something to fallback on: even if you save your money, you need something else to get interested in, even passionate about, as you once were with sport. You're going to be less that halfway through your life and you need to figure out who you are going to be in the other half.

Then there's Bud's guest tomorrow, an expert on the physical cost of football, 9concussions, etc.) who advocates the sport be banned. That should be interesting.

Sounds like an awesome experience.

How did Bud introduce you and what did it feel like being on live radio?

Finally, is "Dan" code for 75% of the football board?

I wondered if 'Dan' :mad: was somebody from around here. :eek:

I missed the show..damnit!

I have heard you on the coach's (coaches?) call in show a couple of times and I think you've got a great radio voice. Local sports radio could use a guy like you.

I listened in from Chicago. I thought you were great! My favorite part of the show was you calling out the caller for being rude.
I hope they decide to have you as a regular guest. I would tune in for an hour each week to hear you lead a discussion on Syracuse sports history.

That's an interesting notion regarding getting drafted, but coming back to school. They can do that in baseball, can't they?

Additionally, wasn't Larry Bird drafted by the Celtics his junior year, and then he went back and played his senior year before actually going pro?

Honestly, what would be wrong with something like that happening nowadays?

That's an interesting notion regarding getting drafted, but coming back to school. They can do that in baseball, can't they?

Additionally, wasn't Larry Bird drafted by the Celtics his junior year, and then he went back and played his senior year before actually going pro?

Honestly, what would be wrong with something like that happening nowadays?

See JB's reply on "The Jim Boeheim Show"

I agree with you, by the way. Interesting that it was actually suggested by the NCAA at one point.

Last edited:
Steve, if you could somehow put together some type of online radio show which would air once a week and people could call in and it could be heard over the internet... you would have a huge following from this forum alone. I for one would not miss a show!

For the past several years your number crunching, statistical tidbits and outliers punctuated with your signature anecdotes has been something that I look forward to seeing and taking as fodder for thought throughout the basketball season. What you bring is not only interesting and thought provoking, it is also very unique in many ways and I think it's important that you realize there are members here who value your contributions greatly. I'm certainly in that number!

Thank you for all that you bring here...and now over the air as well. You are truly deserving of being heard over the radio more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom