Just got ESPN3 working on my TVs | Syracusefan.com

Just got ESPN3 working on my TVs

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
I finally have it setup in my house where I can watch ESPN3 on my TVs. For those who are interested and/or are shopping for TVs, here is what I have learned. Many Bothans died to bring you this information:

1. Panasonic TVs can connect to ESPN3 with their web browser but do not have the correct flash player in their most up-to-date software to directly play ESPN3 content.

2. Samsung TVs can directly play ESPN3 content through the web browser.

3. I connected my wife's MacBook to the Panny with a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter (cost approx $20) and have successfully gotten picture and sound on that TV. You do have to change a setting on the laptop to port sound through the MiniDP port and as I understand it, if your MacBook is older than about mid 2010 - it will not ship sound from this port, but newer ones will.

So I will be streaming this VT game tonight onto one 60" Plasma and 1 60" LED TV (need a hot backup in case one TV fails). WoooHoooo!!

Invested a spot on my Christmas list for Google Chromecast and using that for ESPN 3. I have a very strong WiFi signal and the playback has been smooth. I would think it's well worth the $35.

I have a Roku now - that is the way to go in my experience. Full WatchESPN app and the quality is tremendous and doesn't require connectiong a laptop, phone, etc everytime. Just a one time set-up.

Plus, beyond ESPN the thing has a bunch of content and is easy to use (both my 9 year old sone and 65 year old father-in-law have used it without me around to show them how).

i have a roku, tested the watchespn app a few days ago and it looked good, better not have any problems tonite!

I finally have it setup in my house where I can watch ESPN3 on my TVs. For those who are interested and/or are shopping for TVs, here is what I have learned. Many Bothans died to bring you this information:

1. Panasonic TVs can connect to ESPN3 with their web browser but do not have the correct flash player in their most up-to-date software to directly play ESPN3 content.

2. Samsung TVs can directly play ESPN3 content through the web browser.

3. I connected my wife's MacBook to the Panny with a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter (cost approx $20) and have successfully gotten picture and sound on that TV. You do have to change a setting on the laptop to port sound through the MiniDP port and as I understand it, if your MacBook is older than about mid 2010 - it will not ship sound from this port, but newer ones will.

So I will be streaming this VT game tonight onto one 60" Plasma and 1 60" LED TV (need a hot backup in case one TV fails). WoooHoooo!!

Just curious Houston, what 60" Panny plasma do you own? For the record, I have new ZT60. It has the most amazing picture quality I have ever seen!

I just got a Roku yesterday. The only real issue I noticed is needing to borrow my father's Time Warner credentials to log in to WatchESPN since I have Directv/RCN internet which don't support the full app. I tested out the SU/EMU game from last week and the picture quality was excellent, much better than streaming ESPN3 from my laptop to the big screen.

I just got a Roku yesterday. The only real issue I noticed is needing to borrow my father's Time Warner credentials to log in to WatchESPN since I have Directv/RCN internet which don't support the full app. I tested out the SU/EMU game from last week and the picture quality was excellent, much better than streaming ESPN3 from my laptop to the big screen.
I got Apple TV before the season started and have to do the same borrowing cause my cable provider doesn't support the app as well. I agree the picture is great and way better then when I used to hook up the computer to the tv. Buying Apple TV has been one of the best decisions I have made in awhile.. Really enjoy being able to stream everything... Now if it wasn't for blackout lol, but the ACC site allows airplay so I got lucky on Saturday.

We currently use our Apple TV to stream the games on ESPN3 (which in my opinion are way too may) . Please note the quality of the stream is directly related to your internet speed.

Never had this many games on ESPN3 last year while in the Big East what gives ACC?

Just curious Houston, what 60" Panny plasma do you own? For the record, I have new ZT60. It has the most amazing picture quality I have ever seen!

I have the ST60. I couldn't afford the ZT! The PQ is awesome, but the room I had it in has 19 foot tall windows in it so the glare was a bit distracting. I moved it to another room and got the LED TV because of it's matte screen. That one is the Samsung F6300, it is also really good so far (only had it a day though). I like the menu system and app control better on the Panasonic, but the Samsung came with an IR blaster which is a nice extra feature since all my components are in a closet on the other side of the wall where the TV is mounted.

You don't need to "borrow" credentials for ESPN3 in most cases. ESPN3 is tied to your Internet Service Provider.

Use your ISP's credentials when you're on the road. You most likely won't need to enter them when watching from home (reverse DNS tends to be adequate). This is true for web access and WatchESPN usage. I did this when I had DirecTV as my Video Service Provider and AT&T as my Internet Service Provider.

Credentials from someone with a Video Service Provider that's in bed with ESPN will get you the regular ESPN channels in addition to ESPN3. You will likely already have access to those as part of your video service, unless you cut the cord and simply wish to steal video services.

In short, if you already have web access to ESPN3 then you don't need anything other than an AppleTV or Roku streaming device in order to get ESPN3 on your TV.

I just got an Apple TV for Christmas. It's great and I have watched a few games already. However my kids have discovered they can make videos on their touches and then play them in the tv so I now have to share it more with them.

I've had the Roku for a couple of years but have not been able to find ESPN3 on it. I usually watch it on the PC..

So many cable free 20 somethings out there are using parents and friends TWC, ATT, etc log ins... to watch ESPN

So many cable free 20 somethings out there are using parents and friends TWC, ATT, etc log ins... to watch ESPN
Thieves!

Roku keeps adding more "channels" too, by the way, for anyone still on the fence. It's recently added YouTube, PBS, A&E, and several more.

Yes, I'm now a full fledged Roku shill. And I'm okay with this.

Just called Roku because the "WatchESPN" app was not showing up in the menu. They say I have an older version Roku and WatchESPN is available only for Roku 2 and above. Guess I'll just have to watch ESPN3 on the PC like I've been doing until this Roku dies, then I'll get the upgrade...

Guess I'll just have to watch ESPN3 on the PC like I've been doing until this Roku dies, then I'll get the upgrade...
They go on sale from time to time. I bet you'll be able to find a Roku 2 for very low prices soon.

I've got my 56' bad boy hooked up to TWC and will be watching the game on Ch3.

Moontan said:
They go on sale from time to time. I bet you'll be able to find a Roku 2 for very low prices soon.

Ollie's had them on sale a few weeks ago

Just called Roku because the "WatchESPN" app was not showing up in the menu. They say I have an older version Roku and WatchESPN is available only for Roku 2 and above. Guess I'll just have to watch ESPN3 on the PC like I've been doing until this Roku dies, then I'll get the upgrade...
Move your old one to an extra bedroom...for $89 you can buy a Roku3. You can plug the included headphones into your remote and watch TV while your partner sleeps or reads. The Roku headphones are impervious to the female voice frequencies when they speak work commands and inane questions in the middle of the game.