Just gotta go 9-7 rest of way | Syracusefan.com

Just gotta go 9-7 rest of way

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
11-7 acc record should put us in lock status. big win last nite, going 10-6 rest of way would be tough. even if we lose every game against "better" teams, theres still 9 wins there for us

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

now they probably wont win every one of those games, so theyll probably have to beat 1 of the top teams, but at least we have a little margin for error now. i fully expect us to beat at least one of duke/lville/uva at the dome.

how do we match up against unc? Maybe we can give them a run for their money. Lville and duke will be very tough for us they play pressure(ville) and perimeter defense(Duke), and lousiville is strong inside.

how do we match up against unc? Maybe we can give them a run for their money. Lville and duke will be very tough for us they play pressure(ville) and perimeter defense(Duke), and lousiville is strong inside.

Carolina is another team that can't shoot. I like our chances with them. Louisville would be next on the list of the teams you mentioned. They can't shoot either this year. It's really a common theme. The Duke and Virginia games will be hardest to win IMO.

11-7 acc record should put us in lock status. big win last nite, going 10-6 rest of way would be tough. even if we lose every game against "better" teams, theres still 9 wins there for us

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

now they probably wont win every one of those games, so theyll probably have to beat 1 of the top teams, but at least we have a little margin for error now. i fully expect us to beat at least one of duke/lville/uva at the dome.

i agree with this. no chance they leave an 11-7 team out from the ACC. Zero. that would also put us at 20-11 prior to the ACCT. If we win 20 games this regular season, it will be a very very nice feat by the team.

I'm probably going to eat these words in the future, but I like our chances against L'ville. Okay, 'like' is probably too strong, but I think we can beat them. Their offense is almost as bad as ours and both teams play great defense, them moreso than us. If we play well (A game, not necessarily A+ game), we could pull it off.

i agree with this. no chance they leave an 11-7 team out from the ACC. Zero. that would also put us at 20-11 prior to the ACCT. If we win 20 games this regular season, it will be a very very nice feat by the team.

I think the top 6 ACC teams will always be a lock for the NCAAT going forward. 11-7 should put us in the top 6.

gotta start wondering when we get some consideration for the top 25 again...

i think at least 2 more wins in a row. minimum. maybe if we run the table Sunday and next week...

And the NCAA would never leave a 10-6 BE team with a 20 win season out either ... until 2006-07. Don't bet the house, you may end up on the street.

If we go 11-7 but just beat up on the bad teams on the schedule, I really don't know. You gotta beat tournament teams to get in, I think.

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

No that would not be a lock...certainly not if we lost in the first round of the ACC, and even if we won the first round of the ACC.

20-11 entering the ACC

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

#50 in the RPI
Projected 2-7 vs Top 50 (Iowa + somebody in the ACC)
6-9 vs top 100

It's not an out either, but square on the bubble.

Conference record (in an unbalanced conference schedule) is irrelevant and they have proved it with certain picks over the last few years. 11-7 with not much success against tourney teams (combined with no success against tourney teams in the OOC) is not much.

I'm not saying its out either (its up in the air), but using terms like lock, and no chance is not correct.

SBU72 said:
And the NCAA would never leave a 10-6 BE team with a 20 win season out either ... until 2006-07. Don't bet the house, you may end up on the street.
The field is larger now. That team would have made a 68 team tournament.

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

CorduroyG, I respect your optimism, but I don't think 11-7 is anywhere in the stratosphere of being a "lock." I would define lock as being an 8-9 seed or higher. If we go 11-7 we'll be in that 10-12 seed range with a million other bubble teams.

No that would not be a lock...certainly not if we lost in the first round of the ACC, and even if we won the first round of the ACC.

20-11 entering the ACC

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

#50 in the RPI
Projected 2-7 vs Top 50 (Iowa + somebody in the ACC)
6-9 vs top 100

It's not an out either, but square on the bubble.

I can't say that this scenario merits a bid. Would anyone?

They left out an 11-7 ACC team in 2013 - Virginia.

the bubble will stink again this year, 11-7 will get us in.

if we need to go 12-6 to get in then we're most likely not getting in.

By the way this team is playing right now this is very much a one game at a time situation. This team needs to show incremental growth game in and game out going forward. Execution, chemestry and the mental errors that occured during the second half against VTech, all the way through the GTech game, was disturbingly bad. We barely came out with W's (on the road) against two teams are safely in bottom half of the ACC. Im hoping its just a small swoon and nothing more, but if significant improvement does not occur it will be very hard to count on us winning the games we "should" win.

I can't say that this scenario merits a bid. Would anyone?

Since it has been to 68, the bottom slots are generally weak. Your picking amongst resumes with holes, so I think the above could get in... it all depends. It certainly looks weak I agree, but it could get us into Dayton.

We get hurt by being in a top heavy ACC this year, and having a lack of moderate tourney level teams in the ACC (especially at home) to boost our top 50 wins.

Compare it to a team like Providence -- they get Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, St, John's, Xavier and Butler all at home. That makes it alot easier than us to get top 50 wins... and maybe the committee will see through it. At the same time if we get compared to a team from the Big East on Selection Sunday, our 0-2 record against them also hurts.

I don't know. Normally yes. But, if our resume 11-7 in ACC with squeaker wins against bad ACC teams, bad vs Top 50/100 record, losses to all the better teams, and nothing to show for in non-conf then we aren't getting in nor should we. We would be a disaster of an eye test as well with committee members being sent all over to do precisely this.

By the way this team is playing right now this is very much a one game at a time situation. This team needs to show incremental growth game in and game out going forward. Execution, chemestry and the mental errors that occured during the second half against VTech, all the way through the GTech game, was disturbingly bad. We barely came out with W's (on the road) against two teams are safely in bottom half of the ACC. Im hoping its just a small swoon and nothing more, but if significant improvement does not occur it will be very hard to count on us winning the games we "should" win.

true. however georgia tech did take notre dame to 2 ots in south bend, so its not like they arent capable of winning some games. 2nd half of va tech was bad but we did bump the lead back to 10 with 3 minutes left, i consider those last 3 minutes a fluke. we missed a bunch of fts and va tech hit a few long 3's they had no business making.

I'm not saying no... but not saying yes either.

Including the ACC Tourney Wins,

I have 22 wins as our magic number because to get from 21 to 22 would mean another top win.
21 as the 50/50 number.. that could range up or down a bit based on mix of wins.
20 as not too likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom