Just gotta go 9-7 rest of way | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just gotta go 9-7 rest of way

Someone who is less lazy than me, how many wins over tournament teams do the last 4 in generally have? my guess is 2-3?

Someone who is less lazy than me, how many wins over tournament teams do the last 4 in generally have? my guess is 2-3?

If we go 11-7 in conference, then we will have those 2-3 wins over tournament caliber teams. They might not be top 10-caliber wins, but they would be wins over tourney teams.

As much as most around here seem to scoff at it, the Iowa win will pay some dividends. They are definitely a tourney team right now. Yes, we will probably need to add one or two more (wins over tourney teams) to that.

If we go 11-7 in conference, then we will have those 2-3 wins over tournament caliber teams. They might not be top 10-caliber wins, but they would be wins over tourney teams.

That's probably the most likely outcome if we get to 11, but if you look at the list in the OP

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

It's possible, if not likely, that none of those teams make the tournament. (Granted, a lot can change between now and the end of the year)
But its more likely than not that if we end up getting to 11, we probably lose one or two of the road games on that list and then counter it with a win against a good team that isn't on the list.

Man, that Nova game could really sting on selection sunday.

Pomeroy has us going 8-8 the rest of the way (yes, he predicts 11-7 but game by game, it's 8-8 with Pitt getting the edge in a coin-flip game at the Pete).

take the 8 that Pomeroy sees going our way and take at least one of the three big home games (Duke, Ville, UVA) and we're in.

but I think we'll do better than that.

If you want to compare us this season to a team that was similar to us this year all you have to do is look at last year's Pitt team. They beat two tourney teams during the regular season, and then a third UNC in the ACC tournament. They finished 11-7 in Conference and were a 9 seed. Yes i know their out of conference record was 10-1, but they didn't play anyone other than Stanford or Cincy. They went 1-1 in those games.

Pomeroy has us going 8-8 the rest of the way (yes, he predicts 11-7 but game by game, it's 8-8 with Pitt getting the edge in a coin-flip game at the Pete).

take the 8 that Pomeroy sees going our way and take at least one of the three big home games (Duke, Ville, UVA) and we're in.

but I think we'll do better than that.

I think we would get in with that (assuming nothing else about the bubble). But you've got a win against a team thats likely a top 2 seed in the tournament. Even at home, that will carry some weight. And Iowa is a pretty good team.

That loss to Cal isn't looking great though.

I'm pretty sure we'll get in with an 18-0 conference record.

Jesus.jpg

I'm probably going to eat these words in the future, but I like our chances against L'ville. Okay, 'like' is probably too strong, but I think we can beat them. Their offense is almost as bad as ours and both teams play great defense, them moreso than us. If we play well (A game, not necessarily A+ game), we could pull it off.

I really hope you're right...but I have a feeling we will have like 40 turnovers that game.

I really hope you're right...but I have a feeling we will have like 40 turnovers that game.

You are always going to turn the ball over a bit against Louisville, but one of our biggest weaknesses against them in the past was Pitino's ability to put multiple shooters on the floor and overload the zone on one side. This year they don't have the ability to do that. They actually have a worse field goal and three point percentage than us.

The problem is going to be the guard opposite Cooney. Cooney's not a flashy ballhandler, but he doesn't often get ripped in the open court. If G is more decisive with his passing, his height will really help. We just need Patterson or Joseph not to crap their pants.

You are always going to turn the ball over a bit against Louisville, but one of our biggest weaknesses against them in the past was Pitino's ability to put multiple shooters on the floor and overload the zone on one side. This year they don't have the ability to do that. They actually have a worse field goal and three point percentage than us.

No, Louisville has always beaten us by having their guards close their eyes and throw something at the rim. Then, they send everybody to rebound the brick and put it back in with the foul. After that, they hand check and punch the ballhandler all the way down the court and kick our big man in the nuts as he tries to shoot... no foul calls though.

No, Louisville has always beaten us by having their guards close their eyes and throw something at the rim. Then, they send everybody to rebound the brick and put it back in with the foul. After that, they hand check and punch the ballhandler all the way down the court and kick our big man in the nuts as he tries to shoot... no foul calls though.
I can hear the call now: "Christmas gets the ball on the left block, turns toward the basket . . . and Onuaku stabs him in the chest with a salad fork! . . . AND THEY CALL THE FOUL ON CHRISTMAS!"

this is pretty much on point

I hope they don't consider it, but if we are it with sanctions that don't include a tournament ban, maybe we won't get the benefit of the doubt.

We'll have at least 1 What loss and at least 1 win vs. a team we didn't think we'd beat. That Nova loss was an absolute killer.

I hope they don't consider it, but if we are it with sanctions that don't include a tournament ban, maybe we won't get the benefit of the doubt.
Not a chance. Syracuse is a still a huge name that puts butts in the seats and draws TV ratings; and money is still the #1 factor.

Not a chance. Syracuse is a still a huge name that puts butts in the seats and draws TV ratings; and money is still the #1 factor.
that doesn't mesh with the fact that we have hada couple of major snubs

One thing the committee has shown (in my view anyway) with respect to bubble teams:

They sometimes have a power conference bias vs small conference, but don't bias big name P5 or B6 vs lesser name P5 or B6.

We may have a leg up on someone like Old Dominion, but our name means nothing vs a Stanford, Georgia, Kansas St, or Minnesota.

that doesn't mesh with the fact that we have hada couple of major snubs

We have only had one major snub -- 2007. 2008 not so much in my view

Last edited:
Think we match up well with ND and UNC. We can take UVA/Louisville at the dome too if we play well. I think we'll take at least one of those four games (and maybe 2 or 3). But I think that will be tempered with by us losing a game or two to a BC/WF/Clemson-type team. Duke is the only conference team who I think completely out-classes us this year. (not feeling great about the game at NC St. either - but more for intangible reasons than player-for-player match ups).

When it all evens out though I'd expect us to have 19-21 wins going into the ACCT.

I keep thinking that Buss is a streak shooter and in some game this year (hopefully more than one) he's going to just defy the scouting reports and go bonkers from deep (I can see Roy Williams scratching his head, "Shucks, it says he's supposed to miss open jumpers.")

11-7 is most likely going to mean a pretty ugly record in the last 10 games (one of them being the ACCT game). This feels like NC State last year. Gonna go to the wire.

11-7 acc record should put us in lock status. big win last nite, going 10-6 rest of way would be tough. even if we lose every game against "better" teams, theres still 9 wins there for us

florida st home
wake forest home
at clemson
boston college x2
miami home
virginia tech home
pitt home
at pitt or at nc state

now they probably wont win every one of those games, so theyll probably have to beat 1 of the top teams, but at least we have a little margin for error now. i fully expect us to beat at least one of duke/lville/uva at the dome.

I can't see SU getting in with this resume unless they do well in the ACCT. The selection committee has shown that they put a premium on 'quality' wins, and if SU goes into selection sunday with Iowa as its best win, I can't see that as being very impressive. SU will need to beat a Virginia or Louisville or Duke to get consideration at 11-7 in league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom