Just some numbers to chew on these past 4 seasons | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just some numbers to chew on these past 4 seasons

They broke the "no playing conference opponents" rule against the Big East that year, to get schools out. They had 2 match ups like ours. There was no need to do it, either. Pure bullshit, IMO.

Ummm, I think you are misremembering. We lost to Marquette in the round of 32 in 2011. That was the year the Big East sent 11 teams to the tourney. Once you're beyond 8 teams, the no teams from the same conference rule has to go bye-bye for the other rules to work out right. We wound up playing Marquette, although they had to upset Xavier to get to that game. Meanwhile UConn faced Cincy which was the only true planned on BE meeting.

Cheers,
Neil

Ummm, I think you are misremembering. We lost to Marquette in the round of 32 in 2011. That was the year the Big East sent 11 teams to the tourney. Once you're beyond 8 teams, the no teams from the same conference rule has to go bye-bye for the other rules to work out right. We wound up playing Marquette, although they had to upset Xavier to get to that game. Meanwhile UConn faced Cincy which was the only true planned on BE meeting.

Cheers,
Neil

But what they did was skip a round.

When 8 or less teams from a conference made the tournament the rule was they couldn't meet until the Elite Eight. When more than 8 made it from the same conference the rule should've been they can't meet until the Sweet Sixteen but instead they let them meet in the round of 32 which hurt the Big East and Syracuse.

But what they did was skip a round.

When 8 or less teams from a conference made the tournament the rule was they couldn't meet until the Elite Eight. When more than 8 made it from the same conference the rule should've been they can't meet until the Sweet Sixteen but instead they let them meet in the round of 32 which hurt the Big East and Syracuse.

I thought when they went to the protected pod system they could no longer guarantee the Elite 8 round and knocked it down to the Sweet 16 round. But maybe I am the one who is misremembering.

Anyway, 11 bids is just insane. Doubt the committee will have to deal with that problem much in the future.

Cheers,
Neil

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, I'm sorry but you're simply wrong. There are 16 pods of 4 teams each in the tournament. Each 4 team pod should not include 2 teams from the same conference. You can go all the way to 16 bids before you HAVE to place two conference mates against each other in the first two rounds. It's just math.

The numbers are nice but largely irrelevant in cbb...it just makes us Pittsuburgh.

That seeding screwed us. How many 3 seeds face the possibility of playing a team in the second round they lost to in the regular season?

Yeah, yeah, I know, we should have won, but that seeding has always stuck in my craw.
IIRC that was the year of the record 11 Big East bids? Bound to have about 3 BE teams in each region, curious how many combinations would have even been possible to have every lower# seed not face a conference team that beat them.

Looks like all our losses that year were to big east teams but Marquette was the ONLY team we lost to twice. Interesting indeed. Surprised I dont recall being angry about this. Appears that "Operation: erase all memory of 2011 season" was a resounding success.

edit: In fact, that region had TWO big east teams that we lost to in the regular season. Both much worse seeds than us too: #9 Villanova and #11 Marquette. hmm

You can go all the way to 16 bids before you HAVE to place two conference mates against each other in the first two rounds. It's just math.

The only thing I'd say is there are a ton of other bracketing rules they need to follow as well. It's possible (and I think we have looked it at before but i don't remember the details) but they were more willing to break that principle in order to maintain the other ones.

I would say NO. Although it didn't affect that year's team, it had to have affected our recruits. And look how many juggernaut classes we've been recruiting since then! I would say Carmelo Anthony has had the most positive impact of any college basketball player on his program since college basketball was invented!

Each team since the Melo Center opened has had players come back the next year and look completely different. In 2009-10 Scoop Jardine suddenly became a major contributor and Wes Johnson was a far better player than he had been at Iowa State. Rick Jackson really blossomed the next year. Fab Melo and Dion Waiters really turned their careers around last year. James Southerland became a key player this year. Of course players get better in college, (sometimes) but it seems to be happening often and in a dramatic fashion for us since the Melo Center opened.

Each team since the Melo Center opened has had players come back the next year and look completely different. In 2009-10 Scoop Jardine suddenly became a major contributor and Wes Johnson was a far better player than he had been at Iowa State. Rick Jackson really blossomed the next year. Fab Melo and Dion Waiters really turned their careers around last year. James Southerland became a key player this year. Of course players get better in college, (sometimes) but it seems to be happening often and in a dramatic fashion for us since the Melo Center opened.

As far as improving, a court is a court. You could find just as many guys that improved when they played every day at manley. Does the melo center help recruiting? Absolutely. Skills? Maybe a little.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I've been an SU fan since I decided to go there and a Patriot's fan since 1973.

I am no longer impressed by any regular season stat.

It's all about the playoffs and the dance.

I think regular seasons are probably a better measure of a team than single-elimination post seasons, where one bad game can end it.
Syracuse has one of the most successful basketball programs in the country. It seems strange to look at it as a litany of failure. JB has won the last game of the season only once in his career.

I prefer to break the season into four parts: the pre-season, (November and December), where you are just trying to see what kind of a team you have. Then you try to win the conference regular season. Then you try to with the BET. Then you see how far you can go in the NCAAs. To say that only the later period matters is too limiting.

As far as improving, a court is a court. You could find just as many guys that improved when they played every day at manley. Does the melo center help recruiting? Absolutely. Skills? Maybe a little.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I don't remember this many players showing such a dramatic improvement from season to season over such a short period of years.

That seeding screwed us. How many 3 seeds face the possibility of playing a team in the second round they lost to in the regular season?

Yeah, yeah, I know, we should have won, but that seeding has always stuck in my craw.

The committee screwed us. No reason to have a possible conference rematch in the second round.