Just some thoughts.. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Just some thoughts..

Yes. I believe he will regress to the mean and shoot better the rest of the season. I don't get the takes where 10 games outweigh 65 others. Doesn't make sense to me.
As Alsacs has said numerous times, if Griffin becomes the scoring threat that Eli was, and alleviates the pressure on Buddy being the primary scoring threat from outside, then there is a strong possibility that Buddy improves his numbers. Having to face the other team's best wing defender is clearly taking something away from Buddy's game.

Alternately, if we tried feeding Q or Marek the ball every possession, so Buddy can benefit from some inside out passing for easy shots, that would help as well.

JG is actually shooting 35% from 3, which is surprising to me. That's a quality # at this level. Both players are very capable of making catch and shoot threes. That should always be the look.

I think Girard is a classic case of being a better shooter than his stats. He takes at least one shot a game he has no business taking.

I agree we don't have an elite shooter per se, but the only high volume guy we had that really shot a high percentage was Rautins. It tells me JB doesn't scheme looks well and he's also ok with terrible shot selection unlike a lot of coaches. If some of our guys just cut down on the bad looks they would help their percentage tremendously. I also agree Guerrier should be the focal point of the offense. I just chimed in to maybe get people to stop replying to Couscuse as they are just feeding him garbage. But I guess that's more than can be expected.
I'll stop now. It's just too easy sometimes.

I think Girard is a classic case of being a better shooter than his stats. He takes at least one shot a game he has no business taking.
JG has an incredible scoring "range". Six games </= 6pts (low of 2, twice), five games >/= 17pts (17-23).

This is an incomplete thought. Feel free to flesh our your rationalization a bit further so you actually make a point here Polly.
This is message board/discussion English, not compositional English. And you knew my point anyways.

He is a catch and shoot guy.
When he gets the ball in a position to catch and shoot he does well.
When he has to dribble it up and jack shots it hurts his stats.
We have shooters who are good who shoot a lot of shots that aren’t good.

He is a catch and shoot guy.
When he gets the ball in a position to catch and shoot he does well.
When he has to dribble it up and jack shots it hurts his stats.
We have shooters who are good who shoot a lot of shots that aren’t good.

Agree. I also think Griffin backs up the case about JB being ok with terrible shot selection. He's gone from a 42% 3 point shooter to a 35% shooter just by switching schools.

Agree. I also think Griffin backs up the case about JB being ok with terrible shot selection. He's gone from a 42% 3 point shooter to a 35% shooter just by switching schools.
Andrew White was the perfect Syracuse ISO player. He took a lot of bad shots and just made an insane amount of them.
Shot over 50% from 2 and 40% from 3 here but man he took a lot of bad shots.

I’ve read most of this thread, but not all. I am sure it’s been mentioned, but one of the main things holding Kadary back is conditioning. He probably maxes out at 25 minutes right now, no matter what part of the game. So, at this point, put him in at the 8 minute mark of each half and ride with it.

Agree. He was only playing 18 minutes per game at Illinois so I'm sure he was more careful about trying to avoid things that might get him yanked.

He was never the focus of the offense so he was more likely getting open shots most of the time.. Also more likely he was playing more minutes against the other teams lesser guys as well.

I was on board with Kadary starting from the get go and I believe you could play all 3 guards around 25-30 minutes., but you are changing the narrative now. Girard is actually our best shooter in ACC play. He's at 43%. His numbers were so god awful in the OOC that his numbers look worse than they have been recently.

And we saw 2 years ago Buddy shot 40% in ACC play. So regression to the mean tells me that he's probably going to shoot better as the season goes on? This isn't the first season he's started shooting this bad. it seems to usually get better as the season goes on? I get this doesn't fpllow the board narrative , but 35% shooting from 3 for a Syracuse guard is very good considering the crappy shooting we have got from guards in the past. Frank Howard. Battle. Cooney. MCW etc.. JB just isn't a coach who's good at getting good lucks for shooters.

I have no idea where you're going with this.

One, JGIII is taking less shots in conference play, which is what we all wanted. He's being smarter and has a better awareness. It's great, because it's clear he's a two that can play the one in spot minutes.

Re Buddy, yes, he shot 40% in conference play two years ago when he played less minutes and shot less and wasn't jacking up shots like he was Kobe. I'm all for that change and agree that he would increase his %s if that's the case. If you can convince JB to have him play 16mpg and take 6 shots a game, we're aligned. But we all know that's not the case.

And we can't critique Buddy because our other guards didn't shoot well in the past so that makes it ok because it's all on JB?

JGIII has had COVID, has had shooting issues, and has taken steps to improve his efficiency.

Buddy has had COVID, has shooting issues, and is still jacking shots like he's a star.

Maybe Buddy turns it around, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's our most inefficient player that has a green light for whatever reason. You want to blame JB for that and say there's a pattern there, fine by me.

I have no idea where you're going with this.

One, JGIII is taking less shots in conference play, which is what we all wanted. He's being smarter and has a better awareness. It's great, because it's clear he's a two that can play the one in spot minutes.

Re Buddy, yes, he shot 40% in conference play two years ago when he played less minutes and shot less and wasn't jacking up shots like he was Kobe. I'm all for that change and agree that he would increase his %s if that's the case. If you can convince JB to have him play 16mpg and take 6 shots a game, we're aligned. But we all know that's not the case.

And we can't critique Buddy because our other guards didn't shoot well in the past so that makes it ok because it's all on JB?

JGIII has had COVID, has had shooting issues, and has taken steps to improve his efficiency.

Buddy has had COVID, has shooting issues, and is still jacking shots like he's a star.

Maybe Buddy turns it around, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's our most inefficient player that has a green light for whatever reason. You want to blame JB for that and say there's a pattern there, fine by me.

I said 65 games outweigh 10 this season. It’s weird to me that people think the ten to start this season mean more when we’ve seen him start slow the past two seasons. If you don’t agree fine.

I think overall our shooters look worse than they actually are over our history because JB isn’t really strict when it comes to penalizing players for shot selection and it’s not unique to Buddy. You can go back to Donte Greene when people complained about this.

I said 65 games outweigh 10 this season. It’s weird to me that people think the ten to start this season mean more when we’ve seen him start slow the past two seasons. If you don’t agree fine.

I think overall our shooters look worse than they actually are over our history because JB isn’t really strict when it comes to penalizing players for shot selection and it’s not unique to Buddy. You can go back to Donte Greene when people complained about this.

I think the 10 games vs 65 is fair. But that's oversimplifying the scenarios in which Buddy is shooting. I think we'd all agree Buddy, for whatever reason - his own assertiveness or JB's coaching or both, is shooting in a volume like the star now, imo, the previous two years he was smarter with his shots. Especially when he was really restricted in minutes and shots per game his first year.

I think JB is selective in whom he penalizes for shot selection and I'll leave it at that because god knows that's a can of worms on this board.

To be fair to Donte, he *had* to shoot. That team needed him to jack up those shots because we had no other options. I hated it as much as anyone, but that's where we were.

I've given up on JB starting Kadary this year. I think Buddy is going to continue to shoot a high volume and be in the low 30s for 3PT%s. Is what it is.

I want to be clear, I don't think JGIII or Buddy are bad players. I just 1) think JGIII is a two that needs to play alongside Kadary to catch and shoot and 2) I think Buddy, again whether its his own doing or JB, is basically Victor Page-ing us with his volume shooting.

Your point would be a little more well received by the DWB contingent if you sprinkled in a little more gratuitous couscuse bashing.

I think the 10 games vs 65 is fair. But that's oversimplifying the scenarios in which Buddy is shooting. I think we'd all agree Buddy, for whatever reason - his own assertiveness or JB's coaching or both, is shooting in a volume like the star now, imo, the previous two years he was smarter with his shots. Especially when he was really restricted in minutes and shots per game his first year.

I think JB is selective in whom he penalizes for shot selection and I'll leave it at that because god knows that's a can of worms on this board.

To be fair to Donte, he *had* to shoot. That team needed him to jack up those shots because we had no other options. I hated it as much as anyone, but that's where we were.

I've given up on JB starting Kadary this year. I think Buddy is going to continue to shoot a high volume and be in the low 30s for 3PT%s. Is what it is.

I want to be clear, I don't think JGIII or Buddy are bad players. I just 1) think JGIII is a two that needs to play alongside Kadary to catch and shoot and 2) I think Buddy, again whether its his own doing or JB, is basically Victor Page-ing us with his volume shooting.

I think we are pretty much in agreement. I do think some of the in and outs he’s had will even out, but our guys are never going to shoot 40% unless JB makes a fundamental decision to change our approach on offense and that’s not going to happen.

I think we are pretty much in agreement. I do think some of the in and outs he’s had will even out, but our guys are never going to shoot 40% unless JB makes a fundamental decision to change our approach on offense and that’s not going to happen.

BTW, I have a working theory that next year our starting lineup may be: Kadary, JGIII, Buddy, Benny and TBD center. Q, Marek, AG all leave.

I'd love to see us go five out on offense and see what Kadary could do in terms of setting that crew up for open looks.

Anyway, that's for another day. Let's beat UVA tonight.

Shooting 35 percent from the three ... is the same as shooting 52.5 percent from the two. Think about it. Simple math.

thx for the math update. Are you aware that there are currently 116 NCAA D-1 teams that AVERAGE better than 35% from beyond the arc. Think about it. 35% is not very impressive. In fact it's woefully mediocre.

I was on board with Kadary starting from the get go and I believe you could play all 3 guards around 25-30 minutes., but you are changing the narrative now. Girard is actually our best shooter in ACC play. He's at 43%. His numbers were so god awful in the OOC that his numbers look worse than they have been recently.

And we saw 2 years ago Buddy shot 40% in ACC play. So regression to the mean tells me that he's probably going to shoot better as the season goes on? This isn't the first season he's started shooting this bad. it seems to usually get better as the season goes on? I get this doesn't fpllow the board narrative , but 35% shooting from 3 for a Syracuse guard is very good considering the crappy shooting we have got from guards in the past. Frank Howard. Battle. Cooney. MCW etc.. JB just isn't a coach who's good at getting good lucks for shooters.

As we know from the NCAA tournament committee, all the games count. As I indicated in a post right above here-There are 116 teams that average better than 35% from three. If you play lousy D, don't rebound and don't penetrate to create for others then neither of these two guards need to be playing massive minutes. It's that simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom