Just some thoughts.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just some thoughts..

Then they advocate for putting these guys in during walkon time when the other team has given up to salve their fragile ego's which would be much less valuable to their development than the practice games and is really an insult to them.
Okay Polly

Buddy shot 35% from 3 as a freshman and 37% as a soph and now has regressed to 30% as a junior. I can't find any rational reason for this, he must just have lost his ability and is now rather below average 3 point shooter. Just admit that it is a convenient tool at this point for you to attack coach Boeheim thru his son. So low.

DVR’d the game and just finished up.

Va Tech is a good matchup for us. No dominant big man and smallish guards. It was clear our game plan was to punish their small back court and attack with the bounce. We will beat this team 7 of 10.

We will have success against teams that can’t punish our smallish front court.

Marek drew what seemed like 10 fouls today. We had a somewhat friendly whistle in the first half especially.

Dear Buddy. No more 12 dribble back down iso fadeaway 12 footers please. It’s a horrible pct play. I know it was probably part of the game plan to post up their little guts, but it’s not what he can do.

Quincy is the most improved player in the league right? He’s climbing the pantheon of post players quickly. His footwork might be top five already. Wallace, Otis Hill, Hak are my top 3 here...Q might be 4...I’m sure I’m leaving a couple out.

Watch the difference in off the ball movement when Kadary is running the point. Players cut because they know they’ll get the ball EXACTLY where they can do the most with it. That kind of feel is rare.

Nice energy by Griffin early. Set the tone. He’s a good player, needs seasoning though.

Not having Sidibe really limits our upside. At some point we’re gonna run into a team with a post presence who will murder us.

I’d love to see 4-8 minutes per game with Kadary Griffin up top, with Q, Marek and Jesse. ...and press. Use up Jesse’s fouls trying to protect the rim.
I was yelling the same thing about Buddy at the TV. He hit his first couple and then just kept shooting them when they stopped falling.

As most kids are, AG is all about getting to the league. What he hast to realize is that scoring is just a small part of it. If he plays like he did yesterday with a nonstop motor, not taking bad shots and looking to go to the basket, he is a much better pro prospect as well as much more helpful to our team. He is a much better three point shooter off the pass then he is when he dribbles around or steps back. The three he hit off the Quincy pass is the perfect example of the three point shots he should be taking. And AG has an idea how to finish as demonstrated by a couple of the low post moves he made yesterday.
Likewise I hope JG3 learned from yesterday‘s game how big of a factor he can be without scoring. Make no mistake I still want him taking open shots. But he showed yesterday he can be a big part of our winning without scoring. He was excellent yesterday on both ends and unlike in other games he did not take any plays off effort wise.
I am not a Buddy hater. I want him taking good shots ever single time. But watching him back down his defender and take forever to throw up a fade away that he isn’t making is not the best offense for him or the team. To make it worse he rarely looks to pass when he backs a guy down so it really limits our offense. Buddy is an elite shooter when he shoots off the pass, particularly in transition. But he should not be shooting contested threes early in the shot clock and he should not be taking more shots per game then Quincy. Every single shot Quincy took yesterday whether he made it or not was a high percentage shot. Other than shoot there is nothing buddy can do better than Kadary so on the days when he doesn’t have it shooting Kadary needs to get some of his minutes just for the defensive upgrade alone.
People on this board love Kadary with good reason. I saw one guy get carried away yesterday and refer to him as a potential lottery pick. But it is obvious that when he is on the court it makes the other guys better and gets them better looks. You don’t Have to be a genius to see that he is the best top of the zone defender we have had in sometime and is clearly the best one we have now. He must play over 20 minutes a game.
Finally give JB and the staff some credit yesterday. Their offensive game plan was outstanding and on defense they recognized after the first 10 minutes that Virginia Tech could not score or would not score from the foul line and took away their best options.

Let's find stuff to bitch about after the team trashed the number 12 team in the country. This is semi-professional sports, not little league. The coaching staff does what they do to win games, not cater to players feelings.

We’re not talking about feelings, we’re talking about winning games. Kadary is our best guard and the minutes should reflect that.

Okay Polly
You don't like how coach Boeheim handles players during the heat of the game. Here's some news for you, those guys were well aware that that is what you get when you play for Syracuse, and I'm sure many of them were advised that is what they need if they want to play at the next level and make money playing ball. In addition, I have never heard an ex-player bad mouth Boeheim. In fact, they can't seem to leave him . Mookie Jones got more Boeheiming than anyone and he still is often at the Melo center. You know why this is? Because as they get older and mature, they look back at their teenage self and think, I should have listened to that old man.

As most kids are, AG is all about getting to the league. What he hast to realize is that scoring is just a small part of it. If he plays like he did yesterday with a nonstop motor, not taking bad shots and looking to go to the basket, he is a much better pro prospect as well as much more helpful to our team. He is a much better three point shooter off the pass then he is when he dribbles around or steps back. The three he hit off the Quincy pass is the perfect example of the three point shots he should be taking. And AG has an idea how to finish as demonstrated by a couple of the low post moves he made yesterday.
Likewise I hope JG3 learned from yesterday‘s game how big of a factor he can be without scoring. Make no mistake I still want him taking open shots. But he showed yesterday he can be a big part of our winning without scoring. He was excellent yesterday on both ends and unlike in other games he did not take any plays off effort wise.
I am not a Buddy hater. I want him taking good shots ever single time. But watching him back down his defender and take forever to throw up a fade away that he isn’t making is not the best offense for him or the team. To make it worse he rarely looks to pass when he backs a guy down so it really limits our offense. Buddy is an elite shooter when he shoots off the pass, particularly in transition. But he should not be shooting contested threes early in the shot clock and he should not be taking more shots per game then Quincy. Every single shot Quincy took yesterday whether he made it or not was a high percentage shot. Other than shoot there is nothing buddy can do better than Kadary so on the days when he doesn’t have it shooting Kadary needs to get some of his minutes just for the defensive upgrade alone.
People on this board love Kadary with good reason. I saw one guy get carried away yesterday and refer to him as a potential lottery pick. But it is obvious that when he is on the court it makes the other guys better and gets them better looks. You don’t Have to be a genius to see that he is the best top of the zone defender we have had in sometime and is clearly the best one we have now. He must play over 20 minutes a game.
Finally give JB and the staff some credit yesterday. Their offensive game plan was outstanding and on defense they recognized after the first 10 minutes that Virginia Tech could not score or would not score from the foul line and took away their best options.

How closely do you follow the NBA?

I can’t think of an SU player(since Carmelo) that left early that many on here weren’t saying “oh he’s not ready, oh he won’t get picked, etc.”

Absolutely nobody had Waiters or MCW marked as lottery picks the following year, midway through their freshmen season.

Kadary might be being effectively hidden from the fans by a limited role, but the scouts will be all over him IMO. Probably before we’re ready for them to be.

Last edited:
Except there has been so little practice time as well as lost games, your best guys have to get there legs and get into form.
Plus, many in here sound like parents of high school kids not playing. This is big boy sports. If you’re not playing, play better in practice.
If guys don't get their legs with 36-37 minutes of playing time, the extra 3-4 minutes won't do it.

You just said there has been little practice as a reason for the starters to get all of the minutes, yet you want the backups to prove themselves at practice. Huh?

This isn't about giving guys minutes because we feel sorry for them. It's about getting them used to live game action for when we'll need them because there will be a time when we do.

You don't like how coach Boeheim handles players during the heat of the game. Here's some news for you, those guys were well aware that that is what you get when you play for Syracuse, and I'm sure many of them were advised that is what they need if they want to play at the next level and make money playing ball. In addition, I have never heard an ex-player bad mouth Boeheim. In fact, they can't seem to leave him . Mookie Jones got more Boeheiming than anyone and he still is often at the Melo center. You know why this is? Because as they get older and mature, they look back at their teenage self and think, I should have listened to that old man.
I don’t believe this is true at all. I think JB has tightened his bench and changed what gets you pulled from the floor in the last few years. Defense used to the most important thing, followed by not making mental mistakes, and then offense. Now it seems he has realized the zone isn’t close to the defensive force it used to be so he values potential offense the most. Notice I said potential. Buddy, and to a lesser extent Marek, definitely have high offensive potential.

hard to argue after a big win, but up 20 with several minutes left and braswell and edwards couldn’t get any playing time to close the game out? Get them more comfortable, never know when you might need people. Marek always plays hard, maybe sub him out and get him some rest. He is smaller, he doesn’t need the extra bruising and hits the last couple mins. He played all 40 today.

Really happy with the big win. Just never really understand the lineups.

See? Not too hard! You keep at it and you’ll be able to find something that doesn’t satisfy you in just about any facet of life. Don’t get discouraged , you show a real knack for it!

See? Not too hard! You keep at it and you’ll be able to find something that doesn’t satisfy you in just about any facet of life. Don’t get discouraged , you show a real knack for it!

Your right, I should strive for mediocracy!!!!

So, the guy who had - by far - the worst shooting game, played Infinity minutes?

And the guy who had the best game, played the fewest?

That makes sense. :rolleyes:
I think I know the guy you are talking about who had the worst shooting stats in the game he went 3/13 from the floor and played 39 minutes in a blow out game did not get to the free throw line once he leads the team in mpg at 36 - and for the year FG% 38.2 3PT% 28.8 The coach must really like this kid.

We don't have an elite shooter on the team. We have a number of streaky shooters in my opinion, but not elite.

Except there has been so little practice time as well as lost games, your best guys have to get their legs and get into form.
Plus, many in here sound like parents of high school kids not playing. This is big boy sports. If you’re not playing, play better in practice.

How about if a player is not playing well during the game?

Some times I think it would be appropriate to put a new slogan on the back of the uniform - ACCOUNTABILITY. Seems like our squad lacks that concept when it comes to playing time at the guard position.

Buddy shot 35% from 3 as a freshman and 37% as a soph and now has regressed to 30% as a junior. I can't find any rational reason for this, he must just have lost his ability and is now rather below average 3 point shooter. Just admit that it is a convenient tool at this point for you to attack coach Boeheim thru his son. So low.
Personally, I don’t think the staff is running enough screening actions to get Buddy the space he needs to get off his shots. They need to run the stuff they did for Rautins. I believe Buddy has the potential to be an elite shooter and the team should work to get him open more. That said, he’s struggling right now, so he shouldn’t be playing as many minutes as he is. 30 would suffice in a game when his shots aren’t falling. JB has a blind spot when it comes to this issue. He’s one of the only coaches that will continue to ride certain guys even when they’re playing poorly and there’s better options (Kadary) available on the bench. Buddy isn’t above average enough in other areas (except passing) to deserve 38 minutes a game when he’s struggling to shoot the ball. The fans are often wrong in their criticisms of JB, but this is one area where they’re right.

Some times I think it would be appropriate to put a new slogan on the back of the uniform - ACCOUNTABILITY. Seems like our squad lacks that concept when it comes to playing time at the guard position.

It’s funny when I dare suggested that JB doesn’t play people based on if they were having a good game or not, I was all but questioned for my fandom yet it’s rather obviously after this last game

Personally, I don’t think the staff is running enough screening actions to get Buddy the space he needs to get off his shots. They need to run the stuff they did for Rautins. I believe Buddy has the potential to be an elite shooter and the team should work to get him open more. That said, he’s struggling right now, so he shouldn’t be playing as many minutes as he is. 30 would suffice in a game when his shots aren’t falling. JB has a blind spot when it comes to this issue. He’s one of the only coaches that will continue to ride certain guys even when they’re playing poorly and there’s better options (Kadary) available on the bench. Buddy isn’t above average enough in other areas (except passing) to deserve 38 minutes a game when he’s struggling to shoot the ball. The fans are often wrong in their criticisms of JB, but this is one area where they’re right.
It's hard to compare what this team can do to what we could do when Rautins was on the team, especially '09-'10. We had two legit low post guys, two guys that could facilitate, and Rautins may not have even been our most feared shooter with Wes Johnson. That team had great chemistry and knew how to play. Opponents really had to pick their poison against us. I wonder if the stuff we did for him then would be as effective now.

Last edited:
It's hard to compare what this team can do to what we could do when Rautins was on the team, especially '09-'10. We had two legit low post guys two guys that could facilitate and Rautins may not have even been our most feared shooter with Wes Johnson. That team had great chemistry and knew jow to play. Opponents really had to pick their poison against us. I wonder if the stuff we did for him then would be as effective now.
Fair question.
But a big part of Andy Rautins' game was his role in the zone.
The defensive capabilities soared when he was on the floor.
He got his hands on a lot of passes.

No, it actually is. It’s also about the season and the next season
So, you agree with me. The discussion of playing time is not a discussion of what happened in the game.

Sometimes coaches let guys play through things because they know what will be accomplished at the end.
The things people piss and moan about after wins is amazing.

Otis! My man!

Makes me think back favorably to that KC Boeheim has never developed any players gem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom