Just thinking... | Syracusefan.com

Just thinking...

CIL

All Conference
I know some posters are concerned about the move to the ACC, and I have read a few posts stating things along the lines of: "we won't be as competitive in the ACC" or "our athletic department is headed the way of BC", etc.

I do acknowledge that the level of football is a smidge higher than what we are currently playing in now, as the BE has nothing like FSU, Va Tech, or even a Clemson in this current lineup.

Now that that's out of the way, I want to maybe expand a bit on what my man DcCuse posted yesterday about the potential positives this move makes, both the obvious and subtle.

• Obviously brings in a lot more $$$, which can be used for updates and upgrades to current facilities for all sports.
  • Obviously grants us a seat at the big boys table for quite a while -- no more hybrid hoops/ fb bs.
  • Recruiting for FB is about to take a giant leap for Syracuse. Not only are we going to see more $$ flow into the athletic department for upgrades, but no longer do our potential recruits have to hear about how "poor the BE is for fb" or that we are a "mediocre program in the worst BCS conference". The ACC may not be the SEC, but perception wise from potential recruits, it's a huge boost.
  • Again, on the recruiting front, it not only solidifies our pipeline in FL and GA, it grows it. No more, "hey, we're at USF every other year." Access to talent rich states just got better.
  • For the time being (and it could be very brief), we can with any potential RU recruit about the future of that program. Not that Marrone would do so -- but it's nice to see the roles reversed. Greg.
  • Loving Pitt coming with us because I live there.
  • Drunk ladies in sundresses instead of drunk fuglies in muumuus.
  • The potential for the creation of a true Atlantic Coast Conference. We will never have PSU, however, grabbing 2 out of UCONN, RU, and WVU would be great. Hopefully UCONN and WVU come along at some point, although my gut tells me WVU's academics won't cut it.
  • Bourbon

I know some posters are concerned about the move to the ACC, and I have read a few posts stating things along the lines of: "we won't be as competitive in the ACC" or "our athletic department is headed the way of BC", etc.

I do acknowledge that the level of football is a smidge higher than what we are currently playing in now, as the BE has nothing like FSU, Va Tech, or even a Clemson in this current lineup.

Now that that's out of the way, I want to maybe expand a bit on what my man DcCuse posted yesterday about the potential positives this move makes, both the obvious and subtle.

• Obviously brings in a lot more $$$, which can be used for updates and upgrades to current facilities for all sports.
  • Obviously grants us a seat at the big boys table for quite a while -- no more hybrid hoops/ fb bs.
  • Recruiting for FB is about to take a giant leap for Syracuse. Not only are we going to see more $$ flow into the athletic department for upgrades, but no longer do our potential recruits have to hear about how "poor the BE is for fb" or that we are a "mediocre program in the worst BCS conference". The ACC may not be the SEC, but perception wise from potential recruits, it's a huge boost.
  • Again, on the recruiting front, it not only solidifies our pipeline in FL and GA, it grows it. No more, "hey, we're at USF every other year." Access to talent rich states just got better.
  • For the time being (and it could be very brief), we can **** with any potential RU recruit about the future of that program. Not that Marrone would do so -- but it's nice to see the roles reversed. Greg.
  • Drunk ladies in sundresses as drunk fuglies in muumuus.
  • The potential for the creation of a true Atlantic Coast Conference. We will never have PSU, however, grabbing 2 out of UCONN, RU, and WVU would be great. Hopefully UCONN and WVU come along at some point, although my gut tells me WVU's academics won't cut it.
  • Bourbon

We will be fine. There is nothing but upside for ALL athletic programs with this move.

The only school I will miss is WVU but they will land on their feet. Flock the Girls and the Conmen.

I would miss UConn but I do not know why everyone wants to see them in the ACC. How nice would it be if SU was one of two BCS football programs in the east?

I would miss UConn but I do not know why everyone wants to see them in the ACC. How nice would it be if SU was one of two BCS football programs in the east?

Last I checked, Pennsylvania is included in the east. So that would be 4, wouldn't it?

Cheers,
Neil

"Hey, we're at FSU every other year" sounds a lot better.

I think this might help attendance at the Dome as well. I'm not saying that attendance is just going to skyrocket but I see it increasing. The ACC has more matchups that many fans can get excited about. I always found it hard to get excited about playing UL, Cincy, and USF - I was just watching b/c it was Syracuse. But syracuse playing most of the teams in the ACC - those matchups make sense and I think more people will come to the dome to watch those games because they have more emotional attachment to watching SU play teams in the ACC.

Just IMO

• For the time being (and it could be very brief), we can **** with any potential RU recruit about the future of that program. Not that Marrone would do so -- but it's nice to see the roles reversed. Greg.
  • Bourbon

We've made an effort to recruit Florida, Georgia and even Tennessee (many offers to kids in that state), so this is really going to help us keep our foot in the door in those states (especially Georgia) and maybe allow us to pull even better kids out.

The money is going to be so much better for our athletic department. I would expect immediate capital improvement projects to start rolling - like the new indoor practice facility etc.

• Bourbon

+1

or Miami, or GA Tech...

Or Clemson... or NC State... or North Carolina... or Wake Forest... or Duke... these are all well south of the Mason Dixon Line.

If I had my choice, Penn State and WVU would both be on the menu for teams #15 and #16... I am 99% sure that would never happen, but it would really set up an outstanding football conference.

Sadly for much of our fan base, that's a huge negative right there. There's a big contingent that likes to ogle what Eddie Murphy called the "fat, hairy goonie goo goos."

Rest of the post is spot on. I am excited about access to the Tidewater, increased presence in DC/Baltimore, and of course Florida. Hopefully it helps and hopefully we can break off some recruits before Pitt muscles in and before Rutgers makes some sort of inevitable move either to join us or to claim last place in the Big 1X east division.

I think this might help attendance at the Dome as well. I'm not saying that attendance is just going to skyrocket but I see it increasing. The ACC has more matchups that many fans can get excited about. I always found it hard to get excited about playing UL, Cincy, and USF - I was just watching b/c it was Syracuse. But syracuse playing most of the teams in the ACC - those matchups make sense and I think more people will come to the dome to watch those games because they have more emotional attachment to watching SU play teams in the ACC.

Just IMO
i agree with you..for the casual fan, like you said they could probably care less about usf..but with fsu coming in thats a name people know about and will want to see.

Just IMO

You would think it would help football attendance, but BC's attendance actually went down. They were at just over 42K their last 2 years in the Big East, while their 2 best years in the ACC were 2007 and 2008 just slightly over 41K. The other years they averaged less than 40K.

Unless it's FSU or VT, don't expect a large contingent of ACC fans traveling to the Dome.

Cheers,
Neil

Just IMO

This will definitely help attendance... you figure matchups in the Dome for Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Clemson, Florida State, Maryland, and Duke (to a lesser degree)... those are much more interesting matchups as a group than USF, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCONN, Rutgers, TCU, or West Virginia. I can't imagine that UCONN or Rutgers would be in the discussion for the ACC... maybe UCONN, but I doubt that Boston College would support it. No way Rutgers adds enough athletically or academically to be considered.

You would think it would help football attendance, but BC's attendance actually went down. They were at just over 42K their last 2 years in the Big East, while their 2 best years in the ACC were 2007 and 2008 just slightly over 41K. The other years they averaged less than 40K.

Unless it's FSU or VT, don't expect a large contingent of ACC fans traveling to the Dome.

Cheers,
Neil

People whining that no quality opponents come to the Dome can't complain now. I agree that it may not work that way, but at least this EXCUSE for not attending the games will be diminished. The ACC lineup is much more appealing in football than the Big East lineup. Beyond that, I would love to see SU schedule a yearly non-conference games with a team from the Big 10 or SEC. Then a MAC level team, and if possible an FCS opponent. With the ACC at 14 teams, I don't know how many conference games SU will have in the schedule every year... it will likely be either 8 or 9 games. That limits the non-conference games SU can schedule...

Cheers,
Neil

I don't disagree with you that it may not matter what conference we're in, as far as attendance at the dome is concerned. I just know some people that instead of going to the dome once a year (if that), they are far more likely to go with the new ACC match-ups. Games against most of the BE people are really coming to just watch SU. Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.

you like them now?

I used to like Miami back in the 80's (during the renegade years).

Hated Miami during the BE years.

Liked Miami during the "I hope Miami sticks it to the ACC" years.

Now they're the enemy again.

Of course, we're not sure if FSU is staying in the ACC yet.

But that's the only potential negative, as far as I can see. I think WVU definitely belongs as well.

We'd actually be restoring rivalries that had been dormant once BC, Va. Tech, and Miami joined the ACC. It's not like we're joining a conference where we have no history nor rivals.

Just wondering, what happens to TCU in this scenario? And, for that matter, the Big East football schools?

I genuinely hate Texas and the original ACC annexation, which caused all this mayhem. Maybe it was coming, but collegiate athletics doesn't seem as if it should have followed the same laissez-faire approach as the American business model. These "amateur" sports were supposed to be pure and protected from corruption. While our move wasn't corrupt, the influence of money on college athletics has been corrupting.

• Bourbon
Can't argue with any of this. Looking forward to this new era for the SU Athletics program!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom