Justin Pugh in mix for Giants starting RT job | Syracusefan.com

Justin Pugh in mix for Giants starting RT job

good lord i most certainly hope the #1 draft pick is the mix to start or get considerable playing time.

If Pugh's slot is surrounded by signings, I'm not sure he will have much leverage for that extra year guarantee. And I don't follow things like this, but Nassib hasn't signed yet? How many other 4th round picks haven't signed? Or is it a trickle-down thing - 1st round, 2nd, 3rd, etc.?

Actually more often than not its a trickle up effect. The late round guys sign quickly because they don't have much leverage and whatever the team puts in front of them they sign. The higher that you are picked the more entitled they feel they are to more money and the more teams want them to agree to an additional year. So more negotiating takes place.

That said with the rookie wage scale, there isn't much negotiating to do and I don't believe the entire NFL has had a single holdout since its implementation. Now granted its only been a year or two, but it still hasn't happened yet. Tat said with so many unsigned guys league wide, it looks to happen this year as camps seem to be all starting in the next 10-15 days.

Among the Giant's key moves this is noted

Where they got better: The offensive line. You can thank Syracuse’s Justin Pugh for that, after the Giants nabbed him with the 19th overall pick in the 2013 draft. Eli Manning took a mere 19 sacks last season, but this O-line still needed a shot in the arm. Pugh could slot in at either guard or tackle, though he worked as a right tackle during minicamp and OTAs. New York might keep him there, given that David Diehl struggled so mightily there, when he was healthy. Pugh also could challenge LG Kevin Boothe. Either way, the Giants upgraded their depth and flexibility with that draft choice.

Chris Burke SI NFL

Blog

Pugh & Nassib in position battles