Class of 2017 - K Jeff Chan (HI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE PWO | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 K Jeff Chan (HI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE PWO

it gets it high but isnt he also using a kicking tee?

Sure looks like it.

He is using a kicking block. Lays flat on the ground and the top usually has grooves or dimples (usually squared off or will have angle cut on sides so the foot doesn't hit it. The tee would be used for kickoffs. They have similar functions except tees are designed to hold the football on their own while the blocks are flat on top and designed to raise it off the ground while the holder balances it.

High schools still allow this and colleges used to allow blocks but did away with them around the early '90s.

blocks.png

He is using a kicking block. Lays flat on the ground and the top usually has grooves or dimples (usually squared off or will have angle cut on sides so the foot doesn't hit it. The tee would be used for kickoffs. They have similar functions except tees are designed to hold the football on their own while the blocks are flat on top and designed to raise it off the ground while the holder balances it.

High schools still allow this and colleges used to allow blocks but did away with them around the early '90s.

View attachment 96547
Was that about the same time lollipop sticks were banned? ;)

Generally speaking, the bigger programs don't use scholarships on kickers, punters and dedicated longsnappers. I see both sides of the argument: making kickers and punters walk on and win the starting job and a scholarship has its merits. On the other hand, one of the reasons SU was able to get Hofrichter was that we offered him a scholarship. Tennessee wanted him as a walkon. If SU also wanted him to walk on, he'd probably be in Knoxville right now.

Good point. The select big boys can do that aa talented kids will take a shot at making the team without an initial scholarship to be part of something big. I would say there are 10 or so programs that can pull that off. Very ecominical schollie wise.

I think we need to get a board fundraiser going for his first year's tuition lol.

Another kid that can't get here soon enough.

What do you mean "get here"? He's currently on the team. Unless something is going over my head that I am missing..

What do you mean "get here"? He's currently on the team. Unless something is going over my head that I am missing..
You are correct. He is already on campus.
I think we need to get a board fundraiser going for his first year's tuition lol.

Another kid that can't get here soon enough.
Notice that he is practicing in the IPF? He is already on campus. And I was told that he was accepted to SU before he was recruited by the staff as a pwo. He was coming to SU regardless of playing football.

And maybe I confused you by posting his tweet. I just thought it was great to have a kid who can obviously kick a long distance fg.

I was thinking he was a 2018 kid for some reason.

Wow that is good from 60 plus easily.

They better offer him and another family member a full ride.

Haha i'm not sure if it would be good from 57 and a half since it hit the crossbar... but kid has a leg on him for sure

Still good as long as it goes over... same as if it hits the upright and still goes through.

Well right ... but it's not hitting the crossbar if it was a 60 yard kick is what I was referring to

Haha i'm not sure if it would be good from 57 and a half since it hit the crossbar... but kid has a leg on him for sure
I am a welder and have been for 30 years...oh well

how do we know it hit the cross bar? the net doesnt extend down to the bar it could have hit all the stuff behind it on the wall?

how do we know it hit the cross bar? the net doesnt extend down to the bar it could have hit all the stuff behind it on the wall?
I watched it again, hitting stop a few times, and I see it hit the crossbar.

I watched it again, hitting stop a few times, and I see it hit the crossbar.
Me too. I was looking to see if it hit the crossbar, or the hood atop the rollup door. On my phone its better definition than my monitor. I agree that it hits the crossbar. Still a good kick. Good height for such a long kick. Less likely to be blocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom