Kalan Ellis no longer with the program | Syracusefan.com

Kalan Ellis no longer with the program

That's shocking considering he was a lock to get reps. I wonder what happened.

I definitely didn't think so and I'm betting the staff has other ideas as well.
We've had a lot of turnover on the line, which is good. Still, 2 years ago he started 9 games at guard. It's hard to think he wouldn't have seen the field.

Either way, the transfer portal is closed; it doesn't sound like this was his call.

He definitely wasnt one of the top guards. Injuries probably took a toll on his body. Hope he gets his SU degree and does well.
Exactly. It seems like he can’t get healthy or at least not healthy long enough to get in shape. It’s been going on for a while now. Probably best for us to move on at this point.

Thanks Kalan for your contributions, especially in 2021. Good luck at your next stop and hope you finish it out healthy and strong.

Last edited:
So... not in the portal?

He an injury casualty that will finish school?

Bigger isn’t always better on the O line, kid struggled to move at his weight. Not sure what contributed to that whether it be genetics or injuries but regardless hope he gets it worked out.

If you graduate do you need to portal anyway? They have their own set of rules and timelines.
Yes.
NO. That got changed. Grad transfers had to be in the portal by 5/1.

Everyone has to enter the portal in the time frame set in order to transfer. No exceptions. The only restrictions removed were having to sit a year and how many times you could transfer.

Interesting.

So a kid has to go into the portal before he knows if he graduates now.
The portal deadline for grad transfers was May 1.
I would hope someone would know if they are graduating or not by that point.

You can be one summer course short on May 1st, Maybe thats a different portal window?

Dealing with kids like I do, there are many where Hope is the key word on May 1st.

When Ellis originally committed, I was intrigued after watching film of him playing basketball. For a guy his size, he was surprisingly athletic and quick.

When he got here, I was excited about him seeing the field early, due to that combination of size / athleticism. Plus, west coast collegiate football has lots of examples of massive, super-strong Pacific Islanders making a big impact on both lines.

But when Ellis played, he was big -- but didn't seem to have the strength to match. He didn't open holes the way that you'd expect. And as time went on, he got bigger and heavier, and then just couldn't stay healthy.

Too bad.

But every open scholarship is an opportunity with this coaching staff. Best of luck to Ellis, I'm confident we can replace him with someone better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom