Kaleb Joseph emerging as a team leader | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph emerging as a team leader

RF2044

Living Legend
Had a story relayed to me by someone who sat very close behind the Syracuse bench for the Carleton game. When the team was down early in the second half and started to make a run, there was a timeout situation and the team came to the bench.

After JB addressed the team, Joseph got really vocal on the sidelines, telling his teammates that they needed to be more active defensively. He then turned his attention to our senior center and challenged Rak for about 30 seconds of the timeout. Paraphrasing: You're better than this, we need you to be better than this. I'm going to get you the ball inside, and you've got to finish. We can't win if you don't step it up.

Next time down the court, Joseph pounds the ball inside to Rak. Rak gets double teamed and kicks it back out. Joseph resets and immediately dumps the ball down again. Rak makes a move and scores. And as we all know, Rak went on to have a much more effective second half en route to possibly the best scoring 20 minutes of his SU career.

I love it when point guards take on a leadership role, since they're orchestrating the action for our team out there. For the record, Joseph wasn't being overly emotional [per the description I got] when he was confronting his teammates, he was trying to get them amped up. It's good that he's got the personality to do that even as a frosh. Bodes well for this team, which clearly needs some leadership.

Last edited:
I am really still a bit shocked at how complete Joseph's offensive game looked Sunday.
-He hit pull up jumpers
-He finished with both hands at the rim
-He made a catch and shoot 3pter
-He looked great making his free throws
-He had a rebound short turn around put back
-He attacked in transition
-He dribbles the ball like its attached to him with either hand
-Apparently he is an emerging leader.

Its entirely possible that he is the best player on this team. We won't know that for quite a few games but if he gets it on defense, gets guys the ball where they want it and can continue to score his own as needed it will be hard to argue.

Last edited:
I am really still a bit shocked at how complete Joseph's offensive game looked Sunday.
-He hit pull up jumpers

Its entirely possible that he is the best player on this team. We won't know that for quite a few games but if he gets it in defense, gets guys the ball where they want it and can continue to score his own as needed it will be hard to argue.

I made a post prior to Sunday's game suggesting that the thing I was most interested in seeing was how Joseph performed, and the kid had a magnificent debut. Really excited to see if he can sustain this level of play--not that he needs to score 19 ppg on 7-9 shooting, but whether he'll continue to be a difference maker, despite some ups and downs. Having a great PG is such an advantage at the collegiate level.

Not sure if he's the "best" player on the team [which is entirely possible], but he's clearly the most important, IMO.

Far too early to tell, but I see a lot of similarities to Sherman Douglas in his game. Here's hoping he's half the player.

Last edited:
-He hit pull up jumpers

Its entirely possible that he is the best player on this team. We won't know that for quite a few games but if he gets it on defense, gets guys the ball where they want it and can continue to score his own as needed it will be hard to argue.

I can't wait to see him toast Quinn Cook and Marcus Paige this year.

I made a post prior to Sunday's game suggesting that the thing I was most interested in seeing was how Joseph performed. Not sure if he's the "best" player on the team [which is entirely possible], but he's clearly the most important, IMO.

Far too early to tell, but I see a lot of similarities to Sherman Douglas in his game. Here's hoping he's half the player.

He looks to have some of Sherm's competitive fire to me. I don't think we will see an SU team with Kaleb as the lead guard that goes down without a fight. He's impressed me a lot to this point but its very early in his career and for this seasons team.

Easy now. I would be thrilled to have him play at their level.

You know, normally I'd agree, but why not?

I mean I can go to the football board two weeks ago and see that AJ Long is all of a sudden the real deal after playing just OK in a loss against Florida State and all of a sudden hes going to be the savior of the football program. What's happened since? We have stunk as usual.

Kaleb plays like a mad man in I know an exhibition game, albeit a similar game we could have against a good mid-major and people are saying we should be cautious about his performance this year. It really doesn't make sense to me.

I guess what I am saying is we are overly optimistic about football and overly pessimistic about basketball, when reality should tell us to be the complete opposite.

You know, normally I'd agree, but why not?

I mean I can go to the football board two weeks ago and see that AJ Long is all of a sudden the real deal after playing just OK in a loss against Florida State and all of a sudden hes going to be the savior of the football program. What's happened since? We have stunk as usual.

Kaleb plays like a mad man in I know an exhibition game, albeit a similar game we could have against a good mid-major and people are saying we should be cautious about his performance this year. It really doesn't make sense to me.

I guess what I am saying is we are overly optimistic about football and overly pessimistic about basketball, when reality should tell us to be the complete opposite.

Very interesting post and I feel that its pretty true although I don't spend much time on the fball side. If anything history tells us our basketball team will be very good pretty much every year.

I mentioned this in an earlier post I made, but some players have the "alpha dog" personality and leadership traits and others don't. And it can be debated, but perhaps in some others it can be taught. Clearly carmelo was an alpha dog. Gerry was. CJ and Kris Joseph were skilled and good players but probably not leaders. although it is VERY early, our new KJ appears to have these traits.

Along with the personality and leadership traits, not all have the skills to go along with their leadership capability either. I think KJ has both. Now it is up to the coaching team to nurture both his leadership and his skills to bring out what's best for the team.

jordoo said:
He looks to have some of Sherm's competitive fire to me. I don't think we will see an SU team with Kaleb as the lead guard that goes down without a fight. He's impressed me a lot to this point but its very early in his career and for this seasons team.

He seems very Shermesque from a leadership standpoint and general understanding of how to lead a team and establish the inside game to open up everything else.

He seems very Shermesque from a leadership standpoint and general understanding of how to lead a team and establish the inside game to open up everything else.

And I don't make that comparison lightly. Sherman Douglas is my all-time favorite player, and the best point guard to ever don the Syracuse uniform. One of the program greats, with preternatural lead guard capabilities the likes of which we haven't seen from any other player.

It is unfair to compare a frosh who just played his first game to one of the greatest players in program history--especially the one that redefined the PG position at Syracuse. But I see a lot of similarities between the way The General played and how Joseph seems to play.

We could be in for a treat.

Earlier this year when I saw this video:
I was really impressed by Kaleb and his charismatic personality was evidenced throughout the video. I immediately took a liking to him and was reminded of both Pearl and Sherm. Seeing him play that opening game was fantastic and it solidified my feeling that we are really going to love this kid. I'm thinking that him stepping into the shoes left by Ennis is the best thing that could happen right now.

As much as I liked Tyler and was amazed by the poise and control he exhibited on the floor, I found myself longing for the wide open transition game that we have been treated to in the past. Last years team was virtually painful to watch on offense... The long scoring droughts had me pulling my hair out in frustration. I think that is all about to change now on account of Kjoe.

Really excited to watch this kid blossom this coming season.

we've really been on a roll with point guards lately. By my count, Kaleb will be the 6th different starting point guard in the last 7 years:
2008-09 Flynn
2009-10 Triche (the nominal PG, although Andy was probably the lead guard)
2010-11 Scoop
2011-12 Scoop
2012-13 MCW
2013-14 Ennis
2014-15 Joseph

big shoes to fill for KJ: all 5 preceding him have led the last 6 editions to protected seeds; that's 3 first round selections, including 2 lotteries and a ROY . . . plus Scoop had as good a senior year as any SU point not named Douglas.

all that, and it seems like there is not going to be much of a drop off in talent level, if any

#blessed

we've really been on a roll with point guards lately. By my count, Kaleb will be the 6th different starting point guard in the last 7 years:
2008-09 Flynn
2009-10 Triche (the nominal PG, although Andy was probably the lead guard)
2010-11 Scoop
2011-12 Scoop
2012-13 MCW
2013-14 Ennis
2014-15 Joseph

big shoes to fill for KJ: all 5 preceding him have led the last 6 editions to protected seeds; that's 3 first round selections, including 2 lotteries and a ROY . . . plus Scoop had as good a senior year as any SU point not named Douglas.

all that, and it seems like there is not going to be much of a drop off in talent level, if any

#blessed

Its wild to see listed like that. Agreed Andy was more or less the lead guard on the 09 squad. Scoop really was excellent as a senior with the exception of his strange decline in FT shooting.

Looks like Pearl plays like Sherm is a great combo!

Paraphrasing: You're better than this, we need you to be better than this. I'm going to get you the ball inside, and you've got to finish. We can't win if you don't step it up.
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

It's great KJ came out as a flash in the 1st exhibition game and showed great traits that we all hope carry thru this season and beyond. But perhaps we should temper the expectations a bit. After all, it is his 1st exhibition game as a freshman. There will surely be What games and decisions (but the same can be said about upper classmen too). Love what it sounds like he is about and what he can do (wonder what his teammates think of his motivating speaches), but don't want a faster starter to disappoint and be a slower finisher.

What is the story on "he gone?" I know it's a reference to guys leaving early but did someone in sports/ basketball actually say, "he gone" at some point?

Great. Thanks, guys! All this talk of how great Kaleb looked in our first exhibition has convinced me to pull the trigger on the $6.95 to watch it on OAA, as much as I hate that service. Is the quality any better than it was a couple of years ago? One of the main reasons why I stopped subscribing was that I got tired of opening my wallet to watch a bunch of blurry blobs of pixels moving around instead of basketball players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom