Kaleb Joseph, Frank Howard, Chinonso Obokoh, who steps up? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph, Frank Howard, Chinonso Obokoh, who steps up?

I'm not moving the goal posts, the OP said "We need one of these guys to step up". I'm saying, "ah, no, we really don't".

When JB played Lydon early on at center he was sending us down a risky and exciting path. Now any minutes to Chino look pretty much non-consequential. Any minute given to Chino over Lydon at center seem wasted. We need Lydon to figure out the center position as quickly as humanly possible. Chino is potentially down to foul filling first half minutes - and even then it might be a teachable moment for Lydon against say a Colgate.

It would be nice to see a backup guard play better. Not IMO "needed" but nice to build on. But I doubt they would see much time regardless when you have two 5th year seniors, character, team guys, playing ahead of them.

The actual quote was: "Kaleb Joseph, Frank Howard, and Chinonso Obokoh. We need one of these guys to step up and contribute at a higher level."

That's far different than your "keys to this year's performance" interpretation expressed above. I agree in generaly with the rest of your post, but not the notion that having one of the backcourt guys capable of contributing in a reserve capacity won't have a positive impact.

The actual quote was: "Kaleb Joseph, Frank Howard, and Chinonso Obokoh. We need one of these guys to step up and contribute at a higher level."

That's far different than your "keys to this year's performance" interpretation expressed above. I agree in generaly with the rest of your post, but not the notion that having one of the backcourt guys capable of contributing in a reserve capacity won't have a positive impact.
I guess you think there is a big difference, I don't see it. I still disagree with the quote. We don't need any of those guys in any significant way this year.

I already discussed the irrelevance of Chino. Nice guy, good character, but not needed, we have gone in a different direction.

If KJ2 and FH don't improve it wouldn't matter much. It looks to me like the best of the bunch (whoever wins the backup role) is only going to get 5 or so early minutes. The 5th year seniors are going to get the big minutes in important games.

So why do you think it is needed that one of these guys step up?

I guess you think there is a big difference, I don't see it. I still disagree with the quote. We don't need any of those guys in any significant way this year.

I already discussed the irrelevance of Chino. Nice guy, good character, but not needed, we have gone in a different direction.

If KJ2 and FH don't improve it wouldn't matter much. It looks to me like the best of the bunch (whoever wins the backup role) is only going to get 5 or so early minutes. The 5th year seniors are going to get the big minutes in important games.

So why do you think it is needed that one of these guys step up?

1] To provide depth in a backcourt where we currently have ZERO bench contributions

2] To protect against the prospect of injury

3] To give the dynamic duo / 5th year seniors a brief blow to help them be more effective in big games

4] To give the coaching staff flexibility in the event that one of our key players is having an off game or plays poorly

5] Because having 5 shooters is better than having 4

6] To get one or both of those guys ready for next year

Seriously. Who has played 6 guys and truly made some noise? It doesn't happen. Having that 7th guy I think is still risky but it can be done, obviously. For this team it would be huge. I just can't see them sustaining the energy with all those minutes logged two months from now playing 6.

Seriously. Who has played 6 guys and truly made some noise? It doesn't happen. Having that 7th guy I think is still risky but it can be done, obviously. For this team it would be huge. I just can't see them sustaining the energy with all those minutes logged two months from now playing 6.

Duke. tOSU.
Even ND did decently last year with pretty much 6 guys.

Duke. tOSU.
Even ND did decently last year with pretty much 6 guys.

You're right about ND! Basically 6. Duke has been thin usually but have had at least 7 contributors. Last year Jefferson, Plumlee, and Allen were coming off the bench and that's even AFTER Sulaimon's departure. That's really positive. You are right about ND. I went back and checked.

it will be interesting to see hop develop all and jb return with dino ball. jb will kill tylers run when the pundits have him going top five

it will be interesting to see hop develop all and jb return with dino ball. jb will kill tylers run when the pundits have him going top five

If JB is half the coach we all think he is, he'll kill Tylers run long before that!

Howard is going to be the guy that we're begging to get more run all season. If JB could give him some rope, this would be our best chance to field a 7-man rotation. If after 2 years we're still waiting for the light bulb to go off for a player (e.g. KJ), there's a very good chance the filament is dead. KJ for whatever reason just doesn't have it at this level.[/QUOTE

Freshmen and ropes don't go together very well.

It's a pretty standard formula -- 5 starters, 1 frontcourt reserve, 1 backcourt reserve. Several of our players have the positional versatility to help mask the lack of depth, and can play in different combinations. But tht doesn't change that it would be optimal to have 1 bench guy guard / big to round out our rotation.

It's a pretty standard formula -- 5 starters, 1 frontcourt reserve, 1 backcourt reserve. Several of our players have the positional versatility to help mask the lack of depth, and can play in different combinations. But tht doesn't change that it would be optimal to have 1 bench guy guard / big to round out our rotation.

Starters
DC2
Roberson
Lydon
Silent G
Cooney

1 bench guard Mali Richardson
1 bench big Mali Richardson

Is it just me or did I just solve the whole thing!

I was about to respond to this post as ridiculous but then saw it was Igor.

and knew beyond a reasonable doubt, it was gospel.
First, I have begged you to get mental health. Second, do you watch any other teams besides Syracuse? Take Kentucky for example. If a draft was just made up of Duke, Kentucky and Tyler and LSU. Do you really believe Tyler would be top 5?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom