Class of 2014 - Kaleb Joseph..,, | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Kaleb Joseph..,,

Are you saying last year 12/13 or the previous season 11/12?

Last year it looked like a 9man rotation but it really wasn't. It was Brandon, MCW, CJ & James as much as possible in games that mattered (when James was eligible) then it was whatever worked @ the 5 woth Xmas and Keita because DC2 was out at the first whistle until he had surgury and was out for a bit. Cooney wasn't really a rotational player because he was played just for MCW and Brandon to catch their breath mostly. Jeremi was always in the rotatio but played more while James was out bousting his minute numbers.
I'd call last season a solid 7 man team with spot minutes from Cooney and the complimentary start for DC2.

The previous season we had a great 3 guard rotation Scoop, BRandon and Dion.
Kris and CJ were the main forwards with a bit of James and some big 4 minutes from Christmas.
Fab was the center but we had Baye and a Xmas to back him up.
Again more of a legit 7 man rotaion with two guys playing limited minutes.

Did anyone else watch the PS videos on yesterday's practice? Cooney looks like a tank.

We played a legit 9 man rotation in 2012, didn't we?

And what would the advantage of playing 7-8 guys for 20 minutes? I'd rather play our top guys, but supplement that with quality depth so that we don't have to play a number of them 36+ minutes per game. There have been several examples in recent years where we've played an expanded rotation, and it has enabled us to expend more energy defensively and have fresher legs at the end of games on offense.

BTW I agre play the best players 30-34 minutes as much as possible in games that are important. Sorry missed that in mylast response. I personally like the 3g 3f 2c rotaion the best for our system if we habe a 2/3 guy then you have more of a 7.4 guy rotation than an ideal 8 guy rotation but to me 9 may water things donw or it may wear the competition down its hard to say.

Right now, somewhere in a Syracuse area Hotel, I'm hoping Kaleb is talking to his Mom, confirming with each other that it was as great as they had envisioned. Kaleb looks to his Mom and says "I'll tell coach tomorrow that this is where I want to be." and they hug. Or... something like that lol.

Did anyone else watch the PS videos on yesterday's practice? Cooney looks like a tank.
Yeah. Saw Cooney, but I also saw what looked to be BJ, Buss and Ennis very active in the zone. All rotated pretty quickly, and also saw BJ handling the ball a little. His dad actually just mentioned it in another thread. Could be pretty scary to have a nearly 6'8 guy that can handle the ball and move around up top, defensively. This stuff always gets sorted out, but that we have some serious competition with the guards, I couldn't be more excited.

10min a game means nothing if you are barely playing in conference. Tell me who plays in meaningfull game sduing the conference strstch run, the confernece tourny and the NCAA tourney tand that is your rotation.

Right now, somewhere in a Syracuse area Hotel, I'm hoping Kaleb is talking to his Mom, confirming with each other that it was as great as they had envisioned. Kaleb looks to his Mom and says "I'll tell coach tomorrow that this is where I want to be." and they hug. Or... something like that lol.
tee - Copy (5).jpg

Are you saying last year 12/13 or the previous season 11/12?

Last year it looked like a 9man rotation but it really wasn't. It was Brandon, MCW, CJ & James as much as possible in games that mattered (when James was eligible) then it was whatever worked @ the 5 woth Xmas and Keita because DC2 was out at the first whistle until he had surgury and was out for a bit. Cooney wasn't really a rotational player because he was played just for MCW and Brandon to catch their breath mostly. Jeremi was always in the rotatio but played more while James was out bousting his minute numbers.
I'd call last season a solid 7 man team with spot minutes from Cooney and the complimentary start for DC2.

The previous season we had a great 3 guard rotation Scoop, BRandon and Dion.
Kris and CJ were the main forwards with a bit of James and some big 4 minutes from Christmas.
Fab was the center but we had Baye and a Xmas to back him up.
Again more of a legit 7 man rotaion with two guys playing limited minutes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear--I was talking about the 2011-2012 season.

Guards: Scoop, Triche, Dion
Forwards: Kris, CJ, Southerland, Rak
Centers: Fab, Keita

With MCW as the 10th man in what was primarily a 9-player rotation.

But even last year [2012-2013], while we ran primarily an 8 player rotation, it was 9 until Coleman got injured.

Guards: MCW, Triche, Cooney
Forwards: CJ, Southerland, Rak, Grant
Centers: Coleman, Keita

In both cases, we had players who were part of the "starting" rotation who got token minutes. Rak in 2012 / Coleman in 2013. But we've played 9 both years. That doesn't mean that every game all 9 players got 10+ minutes, but I don't agree with the notion that a guy playing 7 minutes [for example] isn't playing extensive minutes-that's approximately 18% of the game. 10 minutes just seems like an arbitrary line in the sand to me.

The larger point is, there was a time when things were death, taxes, and JB playing a 7 player rotation. Dating back to 2010, that hasn't been the case. We've had more talented rosters top to bottom than we have in any year with the exception of the 2000 season, when JB also employed an expanded rotation. And to JB's credit, he's adapted and taken advantage of having higher quality overall depth.

10min a game means nothing if you are barely playing in conference. Tell me who plays in meaningfull game sduing the conference strstch run, the confernece tourny and the NCAA tourney tand that is your rotation.
Please please please have a look at the two bottom guys we are referring to:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56996/year/2012/rakeem-christmas
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51341/year/2012/baye-keita

Both, in conference as you doubted and meaningful.
Please look in depth. Sure, not both every game, but they contributed in BE and both contested shots. That's what they are supposed to do at the 4-5, and both are somewhat limited offensively.

The likes of , Notre Dame, Cincy, Nova, Marquette, etc.

And obviously, their numbers (cough cough, Fab) went up in tourney...
cough. Fab.

Still, clearly needed in that situation.
:rolleyes:

Please please please have a look at the two bottom guys we are referring to:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56996/year/2012/rakeem-christmas
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51341/year/2012/baye-keita

Both, in conference as you doubted and meaningful.
Please look in depth. Sure, not both every game, but they contributed in BE and both contested shots. That's what they are supposed to do at the 4-5, and both are somewhat limited offensively.

The likes of , Notre Dame, Cincy, Nova, Marquette, etc.

When they are replacing Fab's minutes then he wasn't there which is one less in the rotation. I agree both contributed and thank god Rak had all those token starts and got minutes all season before Fab was inelligible. There is no doubt JB has expanded the rotation as we've had better overall depth.

And obviously, their numbers (cough cough, Fab) went up in tourney...
cough. Fab.

Still, clearly needed in that situation.
:rolleyes:

Also that stretch in the middle of BE play where Rak piled up minutes.

Also that stretch in the middle of BE play where Rak piled up minutes.
What I liked most, is that a year before this when both Fab and Keita came in, there was a very long stretch where Keita looked like the better player. At times, I was worried this meant Fab was not going to pan out.

Only to realize these past few years that Keita was always going to be a way better than ample defender. Love that guy.

What I liked most, is that a year before this when both Fab and Keita came in, there was a very long stretch where Keita looked like the better player. At times, I was worried this meant Fab was not going to pan out.

Only to realize these past few years that Keita was always going to be a way better than ample defender. Love that guy.

I think Baye adds some consistent offense to his excellent D this year. He showed signs late last year. I'm not talking about a post game bust some pick and roll, offensive rebounds and good FT shooting.

As to the rotations, I really think JB has expanded his thinking a little here. He used to subscribe to a maximum minutes for the best players philosophy. That is certainly a good strategy, but his experience with the Olympic team convinced him you can sub guys in and out with totally destroying rhythm.

Also, the place where our team has improved the most over the past 4 years or so has been in the quality of our second tier players. It has gone up dramatically, with this year probably seeing the highest talent level in that 8 - 12 range than we've had in decades.

The other thing that has improved markedly is our defense and this has corresponded to more liberal subbing patterns. JB has now seen that rested players (of all skill levels) play better defense than good players who feel they need to conserve energy on defense. Once that becomes a "culture" for the team, the level of D remains higher even when you can't sub as much in a particular game or stretch.

I think Baye adds some consistent offense to his excellent D this year. He showed signs late last year. I'm not talking about a post game bust some pick and roll, offensive rebounds and good FT shooting.
And the motor. Ah, the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom