Kaleb Joseph | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb Joseph

Kaleb Joseph yesterday: 7 assists, 1 turnover. Last five games: 24 assists, 6 turnovers.
I'm encouraged by those stats and how he did a better job protecting the ball. However, I don't mean to take a jab at Kaleb (because he is progressing nicely and I really love what he brings to the table (court) especially as a freshman BUT stats don't tell the whole picture. Where are the points? What is the impact of our PG not being the one that is really in control of the offense? Lately, G has been more of the PG than Kaleb so he has been able to reduce turnovers because others have been bringing up the ball and running the offense quite a lot for him. Last night he played more PG than other nights which was definitely nice to see. Nonetheless, your comparison is a bit ridiculous... come on now, talk about comparing a small sample size (last night's game) to a much larger sample size (five).

What I don't like is that he isn't taking a confident shot the last few games like he did earlier in the season. When he drives, he is no threat other than to make an assist. He passes the ball, way too often, without any real intent other than to get it out of his hands. Where did the havoc he said he would pose once Boeheim gave him the green light to drive to the basket more and to be aggressive? I would really like to see that because he has shown that he can finish quite well at the rim.

What I do like is that he is progressing (thanks in large part to Boeheim). This is flat out good coaching. Boeheim is now making sure he puts Kaleb in opportunities to succeed. The more he does this, the more latitude he will be given. I love his fire and will. I love the fact that when Boeheim talks to him after making a mistake, you can tell he is really listening and trying to get better. From what I know about this young man, I love his attitude and willingness to work on his game. I see him probably making the biggest jump from start of the season to end than anyone else on the team (maybe even in the conference). That all being said, I think we need a little perspective which is the intent of my post for what it's worth because much of the improvement that you posted was helped greatly by the position that he was put into (part-time point guard) - and that's fine as he gains more confidence because I strongly believe he will!

It seems like KJ was very comfortable shooting the ball before he got yanked and wasn't out back in after shooting a open three early in the shot clock and JB mentioned in the press conference that he needs to realize that he isn't a three point shooter.

Ever since then he hasn't shot the ball at all, even wide open, the couple of times he did he didn't look like the same shooter at all.

I actually agree with both of you. The training wheels do need to be removed (but not all at once and in every situation). Kaleb needs to be encouraged MUCH more to drive to the basket (with intent) as well as taking some of those mid-range jumpers that he was making earlier in the season. I also want to see him be trusted more with the ball because that's the only way for him to really learn and get better (much like what we saw yesterday). He was still getting a lot of help from Cooney and G, but not to the extent that we saw in the previous handful of games. I think the training wheels can come off but it can be done in a more calculated and patient manner - kind of like slowing getting into a pool when it's ice cold.

I believe we (Boeheim) needs to put him in the right spots so that he can be successful and gain confidence (because he is just a freshman after all playing a position that he hasn't quite grasped). I also believe this will be done slowly and with patience so that eventually the training wheels will completely disappear. If we just jerk the training wheels off completely right now, we are setting him up for failure which we have already seen glimpses of what that looks like in earlier games.

I think Boeheim is doing a great job with Kaleb. Starting the season, he gave him full responsibility at the PG position and a lot of freedom to play his game (within the system). After struggling, Boeheim finally stepped in to provide him with help. Moving forward, Boeheim knows better than anyone that we need more from him so I believe we will see that reflected in his play on the court.
SU has historically used someone other than the PG to beat back court pressure. Think Owens, Wallace, Burgan. JB has looked for an advantage at any position 1-3 (and sometimes 4) to advance the ball to the front court. This also give the PG a few mini blows during the course of a game.

SoBeCuse said:
I still don't know what Kaleb is doing half of the time out there. He just dribbles around without a purpose mostly or picks up his dribble way too soon. Or looks to just get rid of the ball. Agreed that he needs to look for his offense more or continue to drive. He had two nice assists off of drives to Rak for that left handed tomahawk and to Silent G for a corner three. I don't think he should be treated as a freshman anymore. Good win though. Trevor was HUGE. We maybe lose if he doesn't go off. Fingers crossed for CMac that it isn't serious!

He's doing exactly what the coaches want him to. That's why his TO's are down. And we are winning.

I think Kaleb has made huge strides since the beginning of the season when he was turning the ball over with regularity. His offense is lagging but he is playing the toughest position for a freshman to transition into. If he can continue to keep the turnovers down and dish out a few assists a game and hit an occasional jumper; that appears all we can realistically expect at this point.

"BUT stats don't tell the whole picture. Where are the points?"

Last I checked, that is a stat. ;)

SU has historically used someone other than the PG to beat back court pressure. Think Owens, Wallace, Burgan. JB has looked for an advantage at any position 1-3 (and sometimes 4) to advance the ball to the front court. This also give the PG a few mini blows during the course of a game.

I've been watching a little SU basketball over 25+ years and seem to know fairly well what they historically do. What Boeheim has been doing with Kaleb lately (less against FSU which was nice to see) was an intervention. There is a big difference between what you stated and what has been happening lately with Kaleb. Boeheim hasn't been looking for an advantage at a position or give Kaleb mini blows. He simply wants to negate turnovers and it has worked!

I've been watching a little SU basketball over 25+ years and seem to know fairly well what they historically do. What Boeheim has been doing with Kaleb lately (less against FSU which was nice to see) was an intervention. There is a big difference between what you stated and what has been happening lately with Kaleb. Boeheim hasn't been looking for an advantage at a position or give Kaleb mini blows. He simply wants to negate turnovers and it has worked!
I debated responding, but finally gave in and decided to be a wiseass.

I see your 25 years and raise you 25 more (that'd be 1965--hence, "longtimefan").

While the coach has been treating Joseph gingerly over the past few games, he has also historically utilized non-PG's to defeat backcourt pressure. He is employing that tactic again this season.

I debated responding, but finally gave in and decided to be a wiseass.

I see your 25 years and raise you 25 more (that'd be 1965--hence, "longtimefan").

While the coach has been treating Joseph gingerly over the past few games, he has also historically utilized non-PG's to defeat backcourt pressure. He is employing that tactic again this season.

Ah ha... that explains it - you're not just a wise-ass but an old-ass. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom