Kaleb's turnovers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb's turnovers

imo put this in the other post.

I think Joseph is what his mind imagines him to be right now.
Name a nba point guard who shuns away from pressure, you wont find one

Gbinije last year invited pressure more then joseph, triche and cooney invite pressure more, Ennis loved pressure it was his best friend. Scoop invitied it more.

He will get better suited to the speed of the game over time, but just blowing by his man still won't make him a true pg,... ever. Kaleb won't be able to slow it down and set up many assist if he doesn't learn to invite the pressure some.

It could be best for him over time (maybe not the team), to be a combo leaning more towards sg he has a nice jumper developing and can pull up off the dribble. Maybe He would be able to pull up from three off the dribble right now with some stronger legs.

He will continue to turn it over as long as he is uncofortable being pressured, like hes inviting a shark to swim with him vs a dolphin right now. Southlerland used to do that with his dribble. Whenever Kaleb gets by his man he goes full speed and its not to get a transition basket.

Even his fast break screams sg, he goes right to the rim straight down the middle of the court not from the sides never draws the defender and dishes on a fast break, or attacks from the corners anticipating a physical foul at the rim.

Not a knock, hes going to get alot better, but if thats his vision of a pg then he is way off right now and doesn't realize it.

Last edited:
At this rate, he is afour year player. Cooney showed yesterday that he is a better handler of the ball,--crossover dribbling,passing, and zero T.O.'s yesterday !!
Cooney got away with being very predictable. A good coach would have enabled his pt guard to strip Cooney. he started always with a between the legs and once he stopped his penetration he backpedalled. the routine I preferred was having the guards pass to each other as they bring it up.

Cooney is like triches handle imo. He keeps the ball low, tends to get around his man alittle easier then triche did, invites the physicallity and pressure, uses his strength, and is in comfortably in control attacking the lane from further out and going left more then triche was.

If Cooney invites pressure better then Kaleb, maybe he should be bringing the ball up alittle more, and not just isolating in the halfcourt only.

Last edited:
I think I agree with those who say he is a bit overwhelmed at times. There is pressure being the PG at Syracuse and not everyone is up to the task right away. One would think that he will become more comfortable and that the game will "slow down" for him but this will likely be a gradual process over his 4 years.

He does not value the ball.
Coaches that punt on a manageable 4th down don't value ball.

Kaleb's problem isn't that he doesn't value the ball. He isn't trying to turn it over. It's that he either tries to do too much too fast, or when he does slow down he does it in a way that makes him vulnerable to everyone playing fast around him.

Joseph's scoring a little better than I expected, actually. Eight points, five assists and three boards... I really don't think he's that far. If he figures out the right pace to play I think he's going to be a positive.

Cooney is like triches handle imo. He keeps the ball low, tends to get around his man alittle easier then triche did, invites the physicallity and pressure, uses his strength, and is in comfortably in control attacking the lane from further out and going left more then triche was.

If Cooney invites pressure better then Kaleb, maybe he should be bringing the ball up alittle more, and not just isolating in the halfcourt only.

Similar build, similar handle, similar game. Trevor can be better than Triche. He's the better shooter.

Joseph will get there, but until then I'd like to see us play the Cooney and G together more, and put Roberson at the three.

If you can't out finesse teams, we may as well take advantage of our size for defense and rebounding.

Joseph will get there, but until then I'd like to see us play the Cooney and G together more, .

This is a tough call because I can absolutely see the development of Kaleb is a necessity for the rest of this year and next year. I do think he would benefit from watching for 3-4 minutes a half to get a different perspective. That said I want him playing 30+ a game and getting as much experience as possible.

At this rate, he is afour year player. Cooney showed yesterday that he is a better handler of the ball,--crossover dribbling,passing, and zero T.O.'s yesterday !!

And a fourth year junior...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom