Kansas Hires Les Miles | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas Hires Les Miles

I was wrong. I'm still trying to figure out how they got him so cheap though. He's one of the lowest paid P5 coaches in the country.

Is it? Do you have the list ?

His inability to beat Alabama is what did him in.
More than that. As many here know, I married into LSU so watched every game of his closely. He had an unreal ability to play down to competition and get 1-2 What losses a year (we know about that) when they’re talent was far and away better. 2012/2013 had to be the end. 4 pro rbs including Jeremy hill. Obj and Jarvis Landry. Mettenberger at qb. Pros all over the ol and (of course) defense. The offensive system made every game a struggle.

Always thought it was interesting that Fulmer never got a gig after Tennessee. Same kind of resume as Miles.
Probably the off-the-field stuff he became infamous for, i.e. The Fullmer Cup, made him a no-go zone.

More than that. As many here know, I married into LSU so watched every game of his closely. He had an unreal ability to play down to competition and get 1-2 What losses a year (we know about that) when they’re talent was far and away better. 2012/2013 had to be the end. 4 pro rbs including Jeremy hill. Obj and Jarvis Landry. Mettenberger at qb. Pros all over the ol and (of course) defense. The offensive system made every game a struggle.

That's actually amazing... that team had Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue, Spencer Ware at RB and Odell and Landry at wideout. Those backs aren't pro bowl NFL players but they are still rostered NFL players.

Amazing talent.

He was 114-34 and went to 2 NC games and won 1. LSU, and all SEC teams, are jealous, envious and cravenly obsessed with Alabama's success. Miles would have gotten them back to the playoffs, without a doubt. Firing him was magnitudes of order worse than Syracuse firing PP. He is going to have a fantastic staff at Kansas and he is going to win big there, he is an all-time great coach.

He was 114-34 and went to 2 NC games and won 1. LSU, and all SEC teams, are jealous, envious and cravenly obsessed with Alabama's success. Miles would have gotten them back to the playoffs, without a doubt. Firing him was magnitudes of order worse than Syracuse firing PP. He is going to have a fantastic staff at Kansas and he is going to win big there, he is an all-time great coach.
Without a doubt? Alltime great coach? We’ll respectfully disagree. He was going backwards on the field and in recruiting. He WOULD NOT change his offensive philosophy. He lost alums. Everybody loves him as a human but he was done progressing on the field.

Without a doubt? Alltime great coach? We’ll respectfully disagree. He was going backwards on the field and in recruiting. He WOULD NOT change his offensive philosophy. He lost alums. Everybody loves him as a human but he was done progressing on the field.
I'm sure that's the POV from the maniac LSU boosters. When he has KU at the top of the Big12, and Eddie O is treading water in the SEC, LSU fans are going to cry.

I'm sure that's the POV from the maniac LSU boosters. When he has KU at the top of the Big12, and Eddie O is treading water in the SEC, LSU fans are going to cry.

I've already said I think Les will get KU to a bowl within 4 years and I think it's a good hire for them. But top of the Big 12 is a bit too optimistic

I've already said I think Les will get KU to a bowl within 4 years and I think it's a good hire for them. But top of the Big 12 is a bit too optimistic
He had double digit wins at LSU for 10 years, then went 8-5, 9-4 and was 2-2 and they fired him during the season. I'm sure he had a bunch of top shelf offensive talent in the recruiting pipeline and any 1 or 2 of those guys could have put them back in the championship. If he gets young Brilles, he is going to land a strong class, and Kansas wasn't all that bad this year. A few transfers and the Sooners and everyone else will be on notice. I am completely shocked they got him and at that price. Also, watch their season ticket sales go thru the roof, they are going to have a full stadium next year. That will pay his salary alone.

Last edited:
Les Miles was a 2 loss NC. That shouldn’t be forgotten. Now I think he wins in 2011 if he doesn’t have to play Alabama in a rematch which was a joke.

The guy had insane talent. He wasn’t overachieving. I think the fact his coaching matchup vs. Nick Saban was like Belichick vs. every other AFC East coach pushed LSU to move on. By hiring Orgeron as his replacement isn’t going to end any different. Saban vs. either is an epic mismatch.
For Kansas this is a home run as he did build up Oklahoma State but he isn’t a sure thing.

Last edited:
I thought it was strange for a high profile coach like Miles to take that kind of job, but it makes sense on a couple of levels.
  • He went through a meat grinder in the SEC / at LSU, with a fanbase that was overtly critical if he didn't get to the NC game despite him fielding a top 5 team seemingly every year. At Kansas, he won't face those kind of expectations

• Kansas is in a JUCO football hotbed area -- in fact, that's a big part of how KSU was able to sustain quality teams for so long. Miles probably figures that while Kansas is NOT a brand name, that he'll be able to attract lots of top flight talent there by beating out KSU at the JUCO pipeline

• Miles is 65 years old, there's probably only a handful of years left on his career, and he probably wants a new challenge [i.e., a rebuild] to write the final chapter. He's already accomplished far more than most coaches, so branching out in a different direction won't harm his legacy

• If he succeeds at Kansas, what an accomplishment that would be as he heads off into the sunset

I think he was a good hire for them. either you get a name like Miles or you go get a triple option guy that makes KU unique in the Big 12 and tough to play. As far as PP, he sure as hell should have been fired when he was, the mistake was who replaced him.

I think he was a good hire for them. either you get a name like Miles or you go get a triple option guy that makes KU unique in the Big 12 and tough to play. As far as PP, he sure as hell should have been fired when he was, the mistake was who replaced him.

As far as PP is concerned you're sure as hell dead wrong - the coaching wasn't the problem.

As far as PP is concerned you're sure as hell dead wrong - the coaching wasn't the problem.

Losing to Temple twice in three years, losing to Rutgers, lots of blowouts. I know the university didn’t do squat to support the program but it was time for a change. We were the only Big East team to lose to Rutgers or Temple between 2002-2004(not including when they played each other) and we did it three times. That was a disgrace

Losing to Temple twice in three years, losing to Rutgers, lots of blowouts. I know the university didn’t do squat to support the program but it was time for a change. We were the only Big East team to lose to Rutgers or Temple between 2002-2004(not including when they played each other) and we did it three times. That was a disgrace

In 2004 we won a share of the Big East Championship and went to a bowl game.

We beat BC, Pitt and nearly beat FSU that season.

And it was done with decrepit facilities and AstroTurf in the Dome.

That was hardly a "disgrace"

The "disgrace" was firing a coach who had won over 100 games and gone to nine bowl games in thirteen years

Your analysis that we "needed a change" is the same kind of ill-informed, emotional conclusion that prompted a stupid halftime decision in Orlando during the Champs Bowl.

Always thought it was interesting that Fulmer never got a gig after Tennessee. Same kind of resume as Miles.

He’s an arrogant s-o-b who thinks TN is Gods country and no where else can compare.

His inbred arrogance during the Schiano debacle at UT proves this point. Not to mention all the people he back doored to get the AD Title.

Another scum in the dirty game of SEC football.

The "disgrace" was firing a coach who had won over 100 games and gone to nine bowl games in thirteen years

Your analysis that we "needed a change" is the same kind of ill-informed, emotional conclusion that prompted a stupid halftime decision in Orlando during the Champs Bowl.

Wow a 6-5 Big East shared title in a garbage conference that no longer had Miami or Tech. Being the only team to lose to Rutgers and Temple during those three years, and doing that 3 times WAS a disgrace. I liked P but it was time to go, Gross made a horrible move with who replaced him, not by firing him. We can agree to disagree.

He’s an arrogant s-o-b who thinks TN is Gods country and no where else can compare.

His inbred arrogance during the Schiano debacle at UT proves this point. Not to mention all the people he back doored to get the AD Title.

Another scum in the dirty game of SEC football.

Wow corp...that is a lot of things to digest. I have no idea what goes on a UT but that sounds terrible if true...except for the inbreeding thing, I wouldn't call anyone that unless true.

They had it fixed but fired the fat guy because he yelled at the players too much.

I probably would have had a backup plan either way, that guy looked like he might keel over at any time.

Good move to lock up Miles just ahead of Colorado's opening, and getting ahead of Kansas State who needs to make a move soon. Doesn't sound like that's going to end well, with Snyder demanding his son be hired to succeed him.

It’s true - once that coach was hired at a school with nice new facilities he took them right to the top of their conference. Quickly proved it was only the facilities and field surface holding his teams back.

Home run hire for Kansas. Miles effectively got “Soliched” at LSU, or maybe Solich got “Milesed” considering Miles had a National title under his belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom