Kansas PG Naadir Tharpe transfering | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas PG Naadir Tharpe transfering

LOL Nobody expects all transfers to come here. This is a fanboard and all I am doing is discussing potential additions. However WE HAVE 1 PG on the roster and discussing Tharpe isn't ridiculous. He is going closer to home in Worcester, MA which is 4 hours away from Syracuse and he and SU could make a little bit of sense if both are interested. I don't think its Manifest Destiny for any transfer to come here, but the people who say why would transfer X come here to be a backup it ticks me off. As all transfers don't play 30 mpg wherever they go. We have only have Kaleb Joseph on the roster next year and he is going to be a freshman and isn't as highly rated as Tyler Ennis. There could be minutes available here if he decided to come to SU. As he wouldn't be behind 2 or 3 other guys. If we are going to be decent next year we will need steady PG play, but without a 2nd PG I will just pray we safely make the tournament next year.
Tharpe would have to sit out next season so he's no immediate help. By the time he's eligible the following season, Frank Howard arrives to provide PG depth. Besides, I can't see the staff using it's last remaining slot on him and having to forego Diagne/Bryant.

Tharpe would have to sit out next season so he's no immediate help. By the time he's eligible the following season, Frank Howard arrives to provide PG depth. Besides, I can't see the staff using it's last remaining slot on him and having to forego Diagne/Bryant.

He can appeal for a waiver to get closer to family and I would assume this is what he's going to try to do since his young daughter that lives there has some health problems.

He is from Worcester, MA which is 4 away from Syracuse. Providence, UConn, Boston College, UMass could all be players for Tharpe and he could get the family waiver to be eligible for next season. If he can't play next year I wouldn't be interested.

LOL Nobody expects all transfers to come here. This is a fanboard and all I am doing is discussing potential additions. However WE HAVE 1 PG on the roster and discussing Tharpe isn't ridiculous. He is going closer to home in Worcester, MA which is 4 hours away from Syracuse and he and SU could make a little bit of sense if both are interested. I don't think its Manifest Destiny for any transfer to come here, but the people who say why would transfer X come here to be a backup it ticks me off. As all transfers don't play 30 mpg wherever they go. We have only have Kaleb Joseph on the roster next year and he is going to be a freshman and isn't as highly rated as Tyler Ennis. There could be minutes available here if he decided to come to SU. As he wouldn't be behind 2 or 3 other guys. If we are going to be decent next year we will need steady PG play, but without a 2nd PG I will just pray we safely make the tournament next year.
He would be behind 2-3 guys because he'd be way behind the learning curve for our system, particularly the zone. Plus, we really don't know if he is any better than what we have. And that says nothing about the character issues that are a death knell for consideration in bringing someone in.

He would be behind 2-3 guys because he'd be way behind the learning curve for our system, particularly the zone. Plus, we really don't know if he is any better than what we have. And that says nothing about the character issues that are a death knell for consideration in bringing someone in.
LOL name 2 PGs on the roster right now who would be ahead of Tharpe. Joseph won't be on campus until August, and only Gbinije has played a minute at PG.

This makes me laugh. I mean if Tharpe were a SG yeah you could say 2-3 guys would be ahead of him. Cooney, Patterson, Johnson, ARE NOT PGs.

LOL name 2 PGs on the roster right now who would be ahead of Tharpe. Joseph won't be on campus until August, and only Gbinije has played a minute at PG.

This makes me laugh. I mean if Tharpe were a SG yeah you could say 2-3 guys would be ahead of him. Cooney, Patterson, Johnson, ARE NOT PGs.
Please tell me how you know that Tharpe is better than the people you mentioned? Right now in our system both G and TC would be better at PG. Both are competent ball handlers. True point guards, no. But as has been said many times; in JB's system guards are guards. Triche was more of a PG than SG, but that was not what he played in much of his career.

Please tell me how you know that Tharpe is better than the people you mentioned? Right now in our system both G and TC would be better at PG. Both are competent ball handlers. True point guards, no. But as has been said many times; in JB's system guards are guards. Triche was more of a PG than SG, but that was not what he played in much of his career.
TC has absolutely no handle at all. He needs to improve with the ball in his hand as his shooting/scoring has progressed from FR to SO yr, but not his handle did not. G is not a PG he filled a need last year as the backup PG because we only had 1 PG on the roster in Ennis and he played high 30mpg we don't know if Joseph will be as good as Ennis. Tharpe is a PG and we don't know if he is a fit for our system, but I think most everyone associated with SU basketball would like to have a 2nd PG on the roster.

TC has absolutely no handle at all. He needs to improve with the ball in his hand as his shooting/scoring has progressed from FR to SO yr, but not his handle did not. G is not a PG he filled a need last year as the backup PG because we only had 1 PG on the roster in Ennis and he played high 30mpg we don't know if Joseph will be as good as Ennis. Tharpe is a PG and we don't know if he is a fit for our system, but I think most everyone associated with SU basketball would like to have a 2nd PG on the roster.
According to the Twitter chat Hop had recently, the staff seems to be satisfied with the guards they have on the roster now. Give it a rest.

He can appeal for a waiver to get closer to family and I would assume this is what he's going to try to do since his young daughter that lives there has some health problems.

Is this certain? Thought that rule was changing, or does it still have to be approved?

According to the Twitter chat Hop had recently, the staff seems to be satisfied with the guards they have on the roster now. Give it a rest.
Give it a rest? I mean is this a fanboard or an echo chamber? I have no power all I do is bring up potential scenarios and don't think my opinions are ridiculous. If people disagree with me I don't care as what I say for the most part is all reasonable, and if people agree with me great. However, if only having 1 PG on the roster who is a unproven Fr and pondering adding honorable mention Big XII PG is crazy I recommend you just ignore me and my posts.

What do you expect Hopkins to say? No, we have no confidence in our guards for 2014-2015. We have 1 PG on the roster for the upcoming season and he isn't on campus till the summer, G is the backup PG, but he isn't a natural PG he was serviceable last year. I don't expect Joseph to be as good as Ennis that would be crazy and put too high expectations on him. If Joseph struggles who is to say G can play PG for 10-20 mpg next year. However, because you tell me to give it a rest I will just not bringing up a legitimate point and talk about how great sunshine and unicorns are in Syracuse Basketball land because Coach Hopkins said the staff is satisfied.

Is this certain? Thought that rule was changing, or does it still have to be approved?
The rule is being discussed to be scrapped by the NCAA. However, the hardship family waiver and graduate and transfer without sitting rules haven't be done away with yet.

You can't say that with certainty. Thaarpe is a good player and showed flashes of brilliance. There is a reason he was a top 100 player. Hard to say but the sample size is too small to automatically dismiss Thaarpe's potential impact vs a Cooney and Gbinijie. 'Competent' still gets the offense into plenty of trouble.

You can't say that with certainty. Thaarpe is a good player and showed flashes of brilliance. There is a reason he was a top 100 player. Hard to say but the sample size is too small to automatically dismiss Thaarpe's potential impact vs a Cooney and Gbinijie. 'Competent' still gets the offense into plenty of trouble.
How bad is Louisville's press going to destroy us if our only true PG is Kaleb Joseph a FR. I mean MCW and Triche struggled with the Louisville press and they were a future NBA ROY and 4 year player at SU.

Teams will press us if Joseph doesn't come out look really good with the ball because we have no other primary ball handlers. G did a good job in the small instances where Ennis sat. I like Joseph's potential, but expecting him to be ready like Ennis last year is unfair to the kid. If Tharpe got the hardship waiver to play closer to Worcester, MA at SU he would be a great 1 year solution to easy the pressure on Joseph. UConn, UMass, Providence, BC will all be in on this kid.

How bad is Louisville's press going to destroy us if our only true PG is Kaleb Joseph a FR. I mean MCW and Triche struggled with the Louisville press and they were a future NBA ROY and 4 year player at SU.

Teams will press us if Joseph doesn't come out look really good with the ball because we have no other primary ball handlers. G did a good job in the small instances where Ennis sat. I like Joseph's potential, but expecting him to be ready like Ennis last year is unfair to the kid. If Tharpe got the hardship waiver to play closer to Worcester, MA at SU he would be a great 1 year solution to easy the pressure on Joseph. UConn, UMass, Providence, BC will all be in on this kid.

I don't like the situation either. It is absolutely paramount that Patterson/Gbinijie improve with ballhandling so that Joseph and Cooney get more rest. I will blow a gasket if Joseph/Cooney are playing the same kind of minutes as Ennis/Cooney were. Boeheim admitted that was a mistake. Lets just hope that Boeheim doesn't have to revisit that quote again. That would be unfortunate on many levels.

The rule is being discussed to be scrapped by the NCAA. However, the hardship family waiver and graduate and transfer without sitting rules haven't be done away with yet.

Thanks. I would assume he gets the waiver, but probably only for a school closer to his home than Cuse.

Thanks. I would assume he gets the waiver, but probably only for a school closer to his home than Cuse.
I think Syracuse is close enough to Worcester to qualify. Being born and raised in the Northeast, but moving down to Charlotte 4 hours away is considered a day drive for North-easterners, but in most of the country 4 hours isn't far. Obviously, UConn, UMass, BC, Providence would have a lot easier argument, but Syracuse could get him the family waiver I believe if both sides were interested.

Depends on the case he makes for the waiver. If he's using the fact that his daughter has weekly appointments, then a 4 hr drive isn't feasible. If he's saying he needs to be within a close drive to family, then he'd have a chance. If I had to guess, I'll bet he ends up at UMass or PC.

His final 2 schools when he was recruited 3 years ago were PC and Kansas. So I agree PC looks like a good spot for him especially since they lost Bryce Cotton. However, if SU got involved and both sides were interested I am sure they would be able to get him the waiver.

If the kid is being honest with himself about his daughters needs, he'll go to Holy Cross.

I would like to see this happen but I don't think it will. Really hoping G and/or Buss can handle the point for at least 5-7 minutes a game.

I would like to see this happen but I don't think it will. Really hoping G and/or Buss can handle the point for at least 5-7 minutes a game.
If they can't (which I don't believe will be true) their talent level was severely overrated by the coaches.

There will be no transfers into Syracuse unless they are one-and-done. Do the math. We currently have verbals from 3 players for 2015 (with another one supposedly on the way shortly). We will only have 4 scholarships available for that season...and the fact that we are still supposedly recruiting one more means that someone currently on the team (not Rak) will not be with the team after next season. There is no room for anyone else, unless you'd like to ditch one of the recruits.

First, re: distance for acceptable transfer waivers under the NCAA's arbitrary rules, see Luke Recker. He went from IU to Zona to Iowa to be closer to home after his wreck. Iowa City is 400 miles away.

Second, lol at the thought of Gbinjie or Cooney providing anything more than spot duty at the PG position. Call it for what it's worth: JAB is a riverboat gambler when it comes to playing time and injuries.

First, re: distance for acceptable transfer waivers under the NCAA's arbitrary rules, see Luke Recker. He went from IU to Zona to Iowa to be closer to home after his wreck. Iowa City is 400 miles away.

Second, lol at the thought of Gbinjie or Cooney providing anything more than spot duty at the PG position. Call it for what it's worth: JAB is a riverboat gambler when it comes to playing time and injuries.

We did the same thing last year, and it didn't hurt us. I have never seen Joseph play, so I have no idea how good he is, but it seems like Thorpe isn't really the answer.

There will be no transfers into Syracuse unless they are one-and-done. Do the math. We currently have verbals from 3 players for 2015 (with another one supposedly on the way shortly). We will only have 4 scholarships available for that season...and the fact that we are still supposedly recruiting one more means that someone currently on the team (not Rak) will not be with the team after next season. There is no room for anyone else, unless you'd like to ditch one of the recruits.

Tharpe would be one and done if he got a waiver approved. Obviously that would be the only way we would be interested (if we are at all).