Kansas PG Naadir Tharpe transfering | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kansas PG Naadir Tharpe transfering

There will be no transfers into Syracuse unless they are one-and-done. Do the math. We currently have verbals from 3 players for 2015 (with another one supposedly on the way shortly). We will only have 4 scholarships available for that season...and the fact that we are still supposedly recruiting one more means that someone currently on the team (not Rak) will not be with the team after next season. There is no room for anyone else, unless you'd like to ditch one of the recruits.
Tharpe just finished his Junior year he only has 1 year of eligibility. So it would be fine especially since we would likely fight for the waiver if he commited to SU.
Also, we have 3 2015 recruits and only 10 scholarship players for 2014-2015, but Rak Christmas will be a Senior next year which means we have another scholarship available for 2015-2016 season and could take any take anybody for 2014-2015 as a transfer to sit out if we wanted to do so.

First, re: distance for acceptable transfer waivers under the NCAA's arbitrary rules, see Luke Recker. He went from IU to Zona to Iowa to be closer to home after his wreck. Iowa City is 400 miles away.

Second, lol at the thought of Gbinjie or Cooney providing anything more than spot duty at the PG position. Call it for what it's worth: JAB is a riverboat gambler when it comes to playing time and injuries.
Poppy is right on the money with both of these statements. We only have 1 PG on the roster for next season and he hasn't played a college minute. If we can get a 2nd PG who can play we should be exploring all possible ways to lessen pressure on Joseph. Worcester to Syracuse isn't that far. If you left at 7AM you would be at the other place by 12pm which isn't that bad and honestly would be earlier, but I am being cautious.

Cuse1055 said:
I would like to see this happen but I don't think it will. Really hoping G and/or Buss can handle the point for at least 5-7 minutes a game.

Buss is not a point guard. Mike G will play some backup point, but expect Joseph to play 35 minutes a game.

Buss is not a point guard. Mike G will play some backup point, but expect Joseph to play 35 minutes a game.
If we are expecting Joseph to play 35mpg we will struggle in some games. Expecting Joseph to be as good as Ennis is totally unfair to the kid. We need to have a guard who can play 10-20 minutes at PG in case Joseph struggles or has foul trouble. G is not a PG and putting that on him is asking for a NIT season next year unless Joseph is ready.

Alsacs said:
If we are expecting Joseph to play 35mpg we will struggle in some games. Expecting Joseph to be as good as Ennis is totally unfair to the kid. We need to have a guard who can play 10-20 minutes at PG in case Joseph struggles or has foul trouble. G is not a PG and putting that on him is asking for a NIT season next year unless Joseph is ready.

I think G will need to play a bit at small forward as well because of our lack of experience at the forward spots, so he might not be available to play much backup point.

Hopefully BJ will be ready to play some backup SF.

Which is why I believe this staff should pursue anybody who could be a fit for our problem at backup PG. I believe with only 10 scholarship players no matter what the coaching staff is saying publicly would like to find another option at PG for next year. Preferably it would be a 1 year guy just not to clog a scholarship long term, but the people who think we are fine with just Joseph are NOT realizing how rare the Tyler Ennis type freshman PGs really are. Ennis didn't turn the ball over and was ice water in the clutch for most of the season. I don't expect Joseph to be that good as a freshman.

Here is the Syracuse depth chart
PG- Kaleb Joseph
SG- Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije, Ron Patterson
SF- Tyler Roberson, Michael Gbinije, B.J. Johnson
PF- Chris McCollough,
C- Rak Christmas, Dejuan Coleman, Chino Obokoh

That is it. I am scared we lack any quality depth at PG and PF.

Alsacs said:
Which is why I believe this staff should pursue anybody who could be a fit for our problem at backup PG. I believe with only 10 scholarship players no matter what the coaching staff is saying publicly would like to find another option at PG for next year. Preferably it would be a 1 year guy just not to clog a scholarship long term, but the people who think we are fine with just Joseph are NOT realizing how rare the Tyler Ennis type freshman PGs really are. Ennis didn't turn the ball over and was ice water in the clutch for most of the season. I don't expect Joseph to be that good as a freshman. Here is the Syracuse depth chart PG- Kaleb Joseph SG- Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije, Ron Patterson SF- Tyler Roberson, Michael Gbinije, B.J. Johnson PF- Chris McCollough, C- Rak Christmas, Dejuan Coleman, Chino Obokoh That is it. I am scared we lack any quality depth at PG and PF.

I'm with you, but I get the sense the staff isn't listening.

Tharpe just finished his Junior year he only has 1 year of eligibility. So it would be fine especially since we would likely fight for the waiver if he commited to SU.
Also, we have 3 2015 recruits and only 10 scholarship players for 2014-2015, but Rak Christmas will be a Senior next year which means we have another scholarship available for 2015-2016 season and could take any take anybody for 2014-2015 as a transfer to sit out if we wanted to do so.
Tharpe would be a great get. Started for KU last season and despite noted short comings in his game took a team to a regular season conference title. Secondly his eligibility is up after the season so he doesn't take away the 1 available scholarship opening left to add a 4th player to the 2015 class. IMO that is the only way the staff will add a player for next season. If they take anyone with more than 1 year of eligibility they would not have a slot for either Bryant or Diagne...so they won't do anything that jeopardizes that. They must add a big to the 2015 class (they will have only Obokoh and DC2 on roster and who know if DC2 can ever play effectively again given his knee problems).

Which is why I believe this staff should pursue anybody who could be a fit for our problem at backup PG. I believe with only 10 scholarship players no matter what the coaching staff is saying publicly would like to find another option at PG for next year. Preferably it would be a 1 year guy just not to clog a scholarship long term, but the people who think we are fine with just Joseph are NOT realizing how rare the Tyler Ennis type freshman PGs really are. Ennis didn't turn the ball over and was ice water in the clutch for most of the season. I don't expect Joseph to be that good as a freshman.

Here is the Syracuse depth chart
PG- Kaleb Joseph
SG- Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije, Ron Patterson
SF- Tyler Roberson, Michael Gbinije, B.J. Johnson
PF- Chris McCollough,
C- Rak Christmas, Dejuan Coleman, Chino Obokoh

That is it. I am scared we lack any quality depth at PG and PF.

There is no need to be concerned about lack of quality depth at PF, with McCullough and Roberson both capable of starting there, and with Rak potentially also getting minutes there [depending on what happens with Coleman].

PG is a different story.