Kanye West - “Ye” | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Kanye West - “Ye”

Yeah, Kanye is weak for my liking. Always has been overrated in my opinion. Came to my college years ago. Right down the street from me, a 10 minute walk and still didn’t go. Not worth my time, word around campus was his set sucked anyway. Not sure his live appearances got any better thereafter but to each their own. Clearly he speaks to some, and he has some gems. It’s all subjective, and his popularity is off the charts.

In fairness Kanye was never real hip hop, more commercial than raw underground. So there’s that. He is what he is. There are some moments of well-thought artistry.

Caught Wu in Raleigh back in June. They killed it. Incredible how much energy they still bring. They don’t act old up on stage, that’s for sure. Pretty sure Method Man is Benjamin Button. Dude never looked better, physically or on the mic. And that includes the Blackout Tour back in ‘99.

Love some Jedi Mind Tricks. Blood Runs Cold is one of my all time favorites, if only for that Vinnie Paz third verse line and me being an old school WWF mark: “Vinne Paz got more hoes than Jim Duggan.” I mean, brilliant with a classic reference. Comes in at about the 2:20 point:

This thread has been great. Some good contributions. Life is too fast to keep up with the hip hop scene. Credit to you guys dropping good links here and keeping me up to date with what is relevant. OrangeDW bringing heat, longislandcuse for introducing me to NF, and all you other hooligans throwing it down here. Well done. Keep the thread alive.

Yeah, I’ve listened to way more hip hop this year than I have in a long time, and I attribute this to 3 things:

1.Getting into Griselda. It’s like they’ve got their own fresh twist on a familiar old sound. And they’re from Upstate NY, and they’ve put out so much music and are slowly making a name for themselves. It’s exciting to witness their come up.

2. My favorite group ever Little Brother reunited. They came out in the early 2000s and were a complete breathe of fresh air and were basically that group I could relate to every step of the way from college and early adulthood to late 20s. Then they broke up. Now they’re back and as a grown man I can relate to their new album just as much as I used to relate to their earlier stuff. It’s like I grew up with them. Their new album had me not only revisiting their old stuff, but their solos and their whole crew they came up with called the Justus League(some great rappers in that crew, namely Median and L.E.G.A.C.Y, as well as producers Khrysis and 9th Wonder).

3. My old favorite producers Pete Rock and DJ Premier(plus the Beatminerz on that Black Moon album) have put out some incredible beats and songs. It’s like they’re just as good as they ever were and there’s a lane for the vets like them again.

Yeah, I’ve listened to way more hip hop this year than I have in a long time, and I attribute this to 3 things:

1.Getting into Griselda. It’s like they’ve got their own fresh twist on a familiar old sound. And they’re from Upstate NY, and they’ve put out so much music and are slowly making a name for themselves. It’s exciting to witness their come up.

2. My favorite group ever Little Brother reunited. They came out in the early 2000s and were a complete breathe of fresh air and were basically that group I could relate to every step of the way from college and early adulthood to late 20s. Then they broke up. Now they’re back and as a grown man I can relate to their new album just as much as I used to relate to their earlier stuff. It’s like I grew up with them. Their new album had me not only revisiting their old stuff, but their solos and their whole crew they came up with called the Justus League(some great rappers in that crew, namely Median and L.E.G.A.C.Y, as well as producers Khrysis and 9th Wonder).

3. My old favorite producers Pete Rock and DJ Premier(plus the Beatminerz on that Black Moon album) have put out some incredible beats and songs. It’s like they’re just as good as they ever were and there’s a lane for the vets like them again.
‘preciate it, within the next week going to unpack what you laid out right here.

I feel so far out of the hip hop loop these days. May check out one of those you mentioned when I take my dog out for the final time later.

‘preciate it, within the next week going to unpack what you laid out right here.

I feel so far out of the hip hop loop these days. May check out one of those you mentioned when I take my dog out for the final time later.

Ive been out of the loop many times the last decade. Feel locked into at least a segment of it now. Should add that Little Brother (and the whole Justus League back in the day) is from NC. They kinda made their own lane there, which I’m a fan of.

Yeah, Kanye is weak for my liking. Always has been overrated in my opinion. Came to my college years ago. Right down the street from me, a 10 minute walk and still didn’t go. Not worth my time, word around campus was his set sucked anyway. Not sure his live appearances got any better thereafter but to each their own. Clearly he speaks to some, and he has some gems. It’s all subjective, and his popularity is off the charts.

In fairness Kanye was never real hip hop, more commercial than raw underground. So there’s that. He is what he is. There are some moments of well-thought artistry.

Caught Wu in Raleigh back in June. They killed it. Incredible how much energy they still bring. They don’t act old up on stage, that’s for sure. Pretty sure Method Man is Benjamin Button. Dude never looked better, physically or on the mic. And that includes the Blackout Tour back in ‘99.

Love some Jedi Mind Tricks. Blood Runs Cold is one of my all time favorites, if only for that Vinnie Paz third verse line and me being an old school WWF mark: “Vinne Paz got more hoes than Jim Duggan.” I mean, brilliant with a classic reference. Comes in at about the 2:20 point:

This thread has been great. Some good contributions. Life is too fast to keep up with the hip hop scene. Credit to you guys dropping good links here and keeping me up to date with what is relevant. OrangeDW bringing heat, longislandcuse for introducing me to NF, and all you other hooligans throwing it down here. Well done. Keep the thread alive.
No doubt, as I believe we talked about earlier in the thread, Kanye's first couple albums were very good to me, after that no way, totally changed and fell off a cliff. Yeah Method Man was the only one that didn't show up in either Denver show, I heard he was filming a movie or something? ODB's son playing him on stage was very inspiring, and he was a carbon copy look alike, including that wild spiked hair on one of his album covers. I have no idea how I never remembered Jedi Mind Tricks, but I didn't. I do remember hearing the name Vinnie Paz though. I didn't really like them at this show though. Immortal Technique had DJ Static from the Bronx, he did a solo side show thing that was really good. Oh yeah Benny, Conway, and Freddy Gibbs has a show this Wednesday out here. I'm gonna see if I can make it happen.

No doubt, as I believe we talked about earlier in the thread, Kanye's first couple albums were very good to me, after that no way, totally changed and fell off a cliff. Yeah Method Man was the only one that didn't show up in either Denver show, I heard he was filming a movie or something? ODB's son playing him on stage was very inspiring, and he was a carbon copy look alike, including that wild spiked hair on one of his album covers. I have no idea how I never remembered Jedi Mind Tricks, but I didn't. I do remember hearing the name Vinnie Paz though. I didn't really like them at this show though. Immortal Technique had DJ Static from the Bronx, he did a solo side show thing that was really good. Oh yeah Benny, Conway, and Freddy Gibbs has a show this Wednesday out here. I'm gonna see if I can make it happen.
ODB’s son taking the mic was uncanny. Great part of the show.

Meth must have had his reasons to not be there. Too bad he wasn’t... he still brings it.

Love it. Grimy and rugged, with some crafty lyrics.

Great find, and appreciate the share.

Grimy and rugged with some crafty lyrics - pretty much describes that whole crew’s movement. Benny The Butcher - “Rubber Bands and Weight” and “‘97 Hov” would make a great starting point for individual songs to check out IMO.

Speaking of Gibbs, I’ve gotta give that Bandana album with Madlib more time. Only listened once and liked it, but it got lost in the shuffle of me having so many albums I was into at the time. The “Piñata” album he did with Madlib 4-5 years ago is a borderline classic IMO.

So...Griselda performed on The Tonight Show.

Mind blowing that this happened! Black Thought rapped on Benny’s Crowns for Kings song, so gotta assume The Roots had something to do with this?

I bet Fallon thought they were talking about construction when they mentioned bricks. That audience must’ve been so baffled, lol.

So...Griselda performed on The Tonight Show.

Mind blowing that this happened! Black Thought rapped on Benny’s Crowns for Kings song, so gotta assume The Roots had something to do with this?

I bet Fallon thought they were talking about construction when they mentioned bricks. That audience must’ve been so baffled, lol.

Hahahaha, crazy.

Black Thought......so smooth. That 10 min freestyle he does/did a couple years ago w/ Flunk Flex, still blows my mind.

Hahahaha, crazy.

Black Thought...so smooth. That 10 min freestyle he does/did a couple years ago w/ Flunk Flex, still blows my mind.

I just watched it again......mind blown again. I never saw the Sway one with he and Meth till today. That's pretty good stuff too!

I should take 10 minutes out of my life each week to watch that ****.

Anyway, the one with Meth:

I just watched it again...mind blown again. I never saw the Sway one with he and Meth till today. That's pretty good stuff too!

I should take 10 minutes out of my life each week to watch that ****.

Anyway, the one with Meth:

It’s amazing that he’s sharper than ever over 25 years into his career and approaching age 50. That just doesn’t happen.

Alright at some point I’m going to stop posting about new rap(and especially Griselda) in the Kanye thread but...one more time? Also, Conway>>>Kanye.

When Conway’s in his zone, he’s something else.
Also...Boldy James and Alchemist - The Price of Tea.

This is my new album I’m into. Anything produced by Alchemist is worth a listen, and I’m now a fan of Boldy James who Id previously never heard of.

Yeah we need a legit real hip hop thread.

Until then... heard Jay Electronically is dropping a full album. Like, 10 years after the first rumors. If it’s half as good as Exhibit C it will be straight dope.

Until then... heard Jay Electronically is dropping a full album. Like, 10 years after the first rumors. If it’s half as good as Exhibit C it will be straight dope.

Yes - I wouldve been extremely excited for this 10 years ago! Now - I’m still in “I’ll believe it when it actually comes out” mode. And if it does, I’ll hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Lately I’ve gotten into Add-2 - a Chicago rapper.

He put out an album in ‘19 that I haven’t heard yet, but I’ve been playing the albums he did in ‘13 and ‘15 a lot. Got into him because he worked heavily on those albums with two producers that I’ve really liked for almost 20 years now: Khrysis and 9th Wonder(outta Winston Salem, NC!), and I was kinda backtracking looking for good stuff from them that I’d missed. REALLY like what I’ve heard from Add-2, who I’d never heard of before recently.

Speaking of Kanye...he took a picture with Griselda. These guys are everywhere this year.

The Jay Electronica album is here...

I bought it on iTunes - partly to make sure that it’s real. Gonna give it a listen at some point today.

The Jay Electronica album is here...

I bought it on iTunes - partly to make sure that it’s real. Gonna give it a listen at some point today.
Definitely drop your thoughts into this thread after you listen.

I also bought Jadakiss’s new album, Rapsody’s “Eve” album that came out late summer, and an old underground album - L.E.G.A.C.Y. ‘s “Project Mayhem” that i probably had 75% of the songs from on a hard drive somewhere 15 years ago but felt like hearing the whole thing all together.

This is my social distancing music care package since I figure I ain’t going anywhere all weekend and there’s no sports to watch.

Enjoyed the album on first listen! It’s short - would’ve liked another song or two.

It has some of those slow, meandering, drumless tracks which isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but I typically like them - and it’s nothing new for Jay.

As a “Pete Rock and CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient is the best album ever” guy, I really liked “Shiny Suit Theory” which uses the same sample as “I Got a Love” from the above album. I believe this
song has actually been around for awhile(title sounds familiar) but I believe everything else was recently recorded.

Jay-Z is all over this album - and he’s far more likable and relatable than I’ve ever heard him. Surprised me. Album closer is really heartfelt. Lots of the album is, actually. There’s strong rapping throughout from both Jay’s and I enjoyed the music - it certainly doesn’t sound like the other music that’s out there but to me it sounds like what I would expect a Jay Electronica album to sound like. Glad the album dropped, will definitely give it further listens.

Enjoyed the album on first listen! It’s short - would’ve liked another song or two.

It has some of those slow, meandering, drumless tracks which isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but I typically like them - and it’s nothing new for Jay.

As a “Pete Rock and CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient is the best album ever” guy, I really liked “Shiny Suit Theory” which uses the same sample as “I Got a Love” from the above album. I believe this
song has actually been around for awhile(title sounds familiar) but I believe everything else was recently recorded.

Jay-Z is all over this album - and he’s far more likable and relatable than I’ve ever heard him. Surprised me. Album closer is really heartfelt. Lots of the album is, actually. There’s strong rapping throughout from both Jay’s and I enjoyed the music - it certainly doesn’t sound like the other music that’s out there but to me it sounds like what I would expect a Jay Electronica album to sound like. Glad the album dropped, will definitely give it further listens.
Thanks... looks like I’ll have some time soon to check it out.

As it relates to Exhibit C... anything that sounds like that or is this totally different?

Thanks... looks like I’ll have some time soon to check it out.

As it relates to Exhibit C... anything that sounds like that or is this totally different?

I’d say there’s some soulful sounding songs that WOULD sound kinda like Exhibit C if they had drums that knocked like that. But they don’t, lol. I don’t think Exhibit C would sound out of place on this album if that makes sense, but at the same time this is a slower album with less knock.

Sonic choices are consistent throughout though and IMO fit the lyrics and songs well. Songwriting is really sharp IMO. I could see this being an album that some get really into and absolutely love while others decide it’s not for them.

If anyone has been wondering what Onyx has been up to these days (and quite honestly if you made it to page 7 of this thread I’d say those odds are a bit better than average), here is a drop w/ Lords of the Underground.

So I’d already been listening to more new rap music than I’d listened to in like a decade...before all this nonsense. Now? I’m listening to everything.

Conway the Machine and The Alchemist just put out an EP and it’s ridiculous. And they apparently found Cormega and put him on a song and it’s great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom