Class of 2015 - Karl Towns | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Karl Towns

and if boeheim could land karl towns after cal spends years coaching him on the DR national team, that would be even more impressive.
Nerlo - I think you have it backwards. It is more impressive when the staff identifies a kid early, creates real ties, helps the kid develop. This not only shows skill for the staff identifying kids but also helps develop real relationships. The recruitment of people like DC2, MCW, and hopefully Tyler show the rewards of that type of strategy.

When a coach/school comes in late and swoops a kid, that is when legitimate suspicion of the methods come into play.

While UK has come late and taken a few of SUs recruits, it doesn't mean SU should abandon it's strategy. UK may still pay for what has transpired and Cal will just move on. SU would be wise to try and stay away from the bait.

Nerlo - I think you have it backwards. It is more impressive when the staff identifies a kid early, creates real ties, helps the kid develop. This not only shows skill for the staff identifying kids but also helps develop real relationships. The recruitment of people like DC2, MCW, and hopefully Tyler show the rewards of that type of strategy.

When a coach/school comes in late and swoops a kid, that is when legitimate suspicion of the methods come into play.

While UK has come late and taken a few of SUs recruits, it doesn't mean SU should abandon it's strategy. UK may still pay for what has transpired and Cal will just move on. SU would be wise to try and stay away from the bait.

you're right, but it can be frustrating when boeheim follows a kid for years only to lose him in the last few months. one thing i've learned over the past few years: jim boeheim would make for an excellent scout.

you're right, but it can be frustrating when boeheim follows a kid for years only to lose him in the last few months. one thing i've learned over the past few years: jim boeheim would make for an excellent scout.
Yes, and I do agree with you in that it would be kind of a nice change of pace to come in out of the blue on a big time recruit. It would kind of show that you are a selector school. One that someone gets the privilege of playing for.

Yes, and I do agree with you in that it would be kind of a nice change of pace to come in out of the blue on a big time recruit. It would kind of show that you are a selector school. One that someone gets the privilege of playing for.
Like Fab, Hak, Grant.. we were late on all those guys. Primacy vs. Recency.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Don't know what will happen with Towns, but don't think you are correct with some of the other names. Wiggins is either FSU bound or UK bound, don't think we are even playing in that one. Anthony Davis blew up very late. No one was on him before his Junior year and perhaps even until the summer before his senior year. JB was one of his first offers with OSU, I believe. UK's did come after ours, but we didn't have that long standing reputation or got scooped too badly on that one. Another possibility for your list could be Noah Vonlah, who we've been on forever, and is very highly regarded at this point. Sometimes the Inn fills up fast as well. There are all kinds of reasons a recruit doesn't come aboard. In Tyler Ennis case, we've been on him for a while, he is rising up the charts now, and we have a great chance of closing. I wonder if Cal will even be at UK in 2015?

Don't know what will happen with Towns, but don't think you are correct with some of the other names. Wiggins is either FSU bound or UK bound, don't think we are even playing in that one. Anthony Davis blew up very late. No one was on him before his Junior year and perhaps even until the summer before his senior year. JB was one of his first offers with OSU, I believe. UK's did come after ours, but we didn't have that long standing reputation or got scooped too badly on that one. Another possibility for your list could be Noah Vonlah, who we've been on forever, and is very highly regarded at this point. Sometimes the Inn fills up fast as well. There are all kinds of reasons a recruit doesn't come aboard. In Tyler Ennis case, we've been on him for a while, he is rising up the charts now, and we have a great chance of closing. I wonder if Cal will even be at UK in 2015?

Agree, wiggins is uk or fsu all the way...i think he reclassifies to 2013 so it will be interesting who uk makes their top target...wiggins, parker, or randle...they pretty much have the
Harrison twins in the bag, imo their 2013 class will be their best one yet...scary

Agree, wiggins is uk or fsu all the way...i think he reclassifies to 2013 so it will be interesting who uk makes their top target...wiggins, parker, or randle...they pretty much have the
Harrison twins in the bag, imo their 2013 class will be their best one yet...scary

both the harrison boys and wiggins have something in their corner that might hurt them: obsessive fathers. if wiggins is uk or fsu, then why even entertain other offers? for wiggins recruitment I get the feeling he is trying to keep his list short, to eliminate schools before they even try to recruit him, so when SU popped up on this list recently, that's a good sign.

even if we don't land wiggins, being in his top 3 choices would be good for the program. other hs kids will see that SU is a serious contender for the best players, and will possibly give SU a look based simply on that.

and my point about cal was that he has the ability to swoop in late a steal recruits. most high school kids want uk and cal to recruit them, whether or not they even consider uk their dream school, they feel they are really on the map once uk gets involved in their recruitment. so if SU could pull this off sometime in the near future, swoop in late and land a heavyweight recruit, it could mean that the orange are starting to earn blue blood-like respect and stature.

Like Fab, Hak, Grant.. we were late on all those guys. Primacy vs. Recency.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
You can add Rak to the list, that was a nice kick in the nuts to Georgetown when we swooped in and got him when they thought he was theirs.

maybe, but i heard from JD folks that dajuan made up his mind about coming to SU months before he announced. i'm pretty sure both cal and boeheim knew as well.

to think boeheim pulled a fast one on cal and stole DC is a bit much. dajuan has known boeheim since he was like 12 years old. DC goes to school with jimmy's son. now, if boeheim could manage to get the wigster, that would be impressive.

The A.D. at JD is my neighbor and Coleman had picked Orange long before Cal tried the full court press. By the middle of summer he had already chosen SU.

Young but wise phenom Karl Towns has Dirk Nowitzki's game

HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. — Karl Towns had been on the floor about two minutes when Dominican Republic coach John Calipari — indeed, that phrase still sounds a little curious — took the occasion of an opponent’s free-throw attempt to call his youngest player toward the bench.
Calipari wrapped his arm around Towns’ waist and said, almost bemused, “You’ve got six points. You’ve given up nine. You’ve got to rebound now.” Calipari was not exaggerating. He had the accounting exactly right.

I kinda feel bad for the kid now. He gave up his chance to one day play for the U.S. and that particular years "dream team" so that he could lose in the qualifying round as a 16 year old? I probably would have been excited and jumped at the chance to play in the Olympics too t that age, so you can't blame the kid. I think it was just a pretty selfish move by Calipari to exploit his naive and young mindset so he can try and gain an advantage in his recruitment. Next Olympics Towns will be 20 and probably (as he's projected now) have a chance to be on the Select Team then official team at age 24. Now he'll never have that opportunity.

I kinda feel bad for the kid now. He gave up his chance to one day play for the U.S. and that particular years "dream team" so that he could lose in the qualifying round as a 16 year old? I probably would have been excited and jumped at the chance to play in the Olympics too t that age, so you can't blame the kid. I think it was just a pretty selfish move by Calipari to exploit his naive and young mindset so he can try and gain an advantage in his recruitment. Next Olympics Towns will be 20 and probably (as he's projected now) have a chance to be on the Select Team then official team at age 24. Now he'll never have that opportunity.

Why can't Towns play for the US in 2016 or 2020? All he has to do is claim US citizenship between now and then. As an example, a lot of Kenyan and Ethiopian track athletes switch their citizenship all the time b/c they can't qualify for their own country's Olympic teams.

Why can't Towns play for the US in 2016 or 2020? All he has to do is claim US citizenship between now and then. As an example, a lot of Kenyan and Ethiopian track athletes switch their citizenship all the time b/c they can't qualify for their own country's Olympic teams.

I remember reading an article of how Roy Hibbert would've been asked to tryout for the Olympic team this year but couldn't because he played for the Jamaican national team when he was younger. Maybe I'm wrong but I took that as being you weren't allowed to represent two different countries in the Olympics.

I remember reading an article of how Roy Hibbert would've been asked to tryout for the Olympic team this year but couldn't because he played for the Jamaican national team when he was younger. Maybe I'm wrong but I took that as being you weren't allowed to represent two different countries in the Olympics.
Connecticut Cuse is right that Towns can claim a US citizenship and join the US team for the next Olympics if he chooses so. Being from Jamaican heritage, I follow the track and field scene frequently and there have been plenty of athletes who participated for Jamaica, and then switched to the USA, UK, or Canada. So I don't see things being an issue for Towns and Hibbert if they wanted to join the USA team for 2016.

Connecticut Cuse is right that Towns can claim a US citizenship and join the US team for the next Olympics if he chooses so. Being from Jamaican heritage, I follow the track and field scene frequently and there have been plenty of athletes who participated for Jamaica, and then switched to the USA, UK, or Canada. So I don't see things being an issue for Towns and Hibbert if they wanted to join the USA team for 2016.

There is a 3 year waiting period before he can switch back to competing for the U.S....which should be no problem for the 2016 Olympics and beyond. The following comes from the bylaw to Rule 42 of the Olympic Charter.

1. A competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time may represent
either one of them, as he may elect. However, after having represented one country in
the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional champion -
ships recognised by the relevant IF, he may not represent another country unless he
meets the conditions set forth in paragraph 2 below that apply to persons who have
changed their nationality or acquired a new nationality.
2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or
regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and
who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the
Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have
passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be
reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the
IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Andy Katz:

2. Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t usually need too many advantages, but it’s hard not to see him gaining one in the recruitment of No. 1 2015 player Karl Towns Jr., after coaching him on the Dominican Republic national team. Towns plays at St. Joseph High in Metuchen, N.J., but he had a chance to play under three of the Kentucky staffers with Orlando Antigua and Rod Strickland coaching alongside Calipari. Calipari went into the Dominican experience with the goal being to get to the Olympics and increase the basketball culture in the national program. But he might ultimately benefit most with one of the best players available in the coming years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...1058/3-point-shot-unlv-frosh-not-eligible-yet

Best of all time???? I'm going to have to call you... Biased.

Len Bias was better than MJ, he would have been a super super star. I still remember feeling numb when it was announced he was dead.

Len Bias was better than MJ, he would have been a super super star. I still remember feeling numb when it was announced he was dead.
Connie Hawkins was the best ever, after Earl Manigault.

I've read that he's a mommas boy who will probably stay close and a diehard Knicks fan. Both bonuses for Fuse. Hopefully.Briscoe and Bryant commit and get in his ear before Callipari buys his mom a ranch in Lexington and seats him cortside between Word Wide Wes and Spike Lee.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I am feeling numb from you saying Len Bias was better then the greatest player of all time.