Class of 2014 - Kayton Samuels DT Lithonia GA | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Kayton Samuels DT Lithonia GA

Similar in stature to Crume. I wonder if this offer means we're out of the Rodney sweepstakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar in stature to Crume. I wonder if this offer means we're out of the Rodney sweepstakes.

according to a unnamed expert, they are unrelated. Can't see how they aren't somewhat related. Maybe this is Watsons ship, since he apparently is out??

I wonder if this offer means we're out of the Rodney sweepstakes.

Unfortunately this looks like writing on the wall, I think Rodney is going to WF, wants to stay closer to home. This guy could be a huge sleeper though!

maybe this offer is conditional in case rodney goes to wake

i like that comparison. don't think it matters with Rodney, he got the offer today, and Daoust visits Rodney tomorrow. We need a couple DT's. We were talking to this kid in the Summer. Plays at a high level of Georgia ball, he looks like a player to me.

i like that comparison. don't think it matters with Rodney, he got the offer today, and Daoust visits Rodney tomorrow. We need a couple DT's. We were talking to this kid in the Summer. Plays at a high level of Georgia ball, he looks like a player to me.

I agree, the looks good and quick for his size and also agree we can easily take both him and Zeek. I don't think they are related . Wake does worry me but this doesn't mean we are losing him. He visits on 1-31, we should be able to close him

Unfortunately this looks like writing on the wall, I think Rodney is going to WF, wants to stay closer to home. This guy could be a huge sleeper though!

If we offered Enoicy conditionally in the event Custis flipped, which he didn't, what makes you think we're offering this kid because Rodney isn't coming here. It may very well be a contingency plan just like Enoicy was. What we collectively don't know about what really is going on with recruiting could fill an Encyclopedia set.

If we offered Enoicy conditionally in the event Custis flipped, which he didn't, what makes you think we're offering this kid because Rodney isn't coming here. It may very well be a contingency plan just like Enoicy was. What we collectively don't know about what really is going on with recruiting could fill an Encyclopedia set.

We desperately need more than one DT in this class, whether from HS or JUCO. It just doesn't seem that Marcus Coleman is going to add enough weight to be able to play much and yes I know he was only a RS Freshman last year. He is listed at only 266 on the roster, probably will have to get to 285 to 290 at his height.

From twitter..Honor Roll Student. ...All-Region and All-County selection as a junior. ...Team captain as a junior.

Stud. The proverbial "diamond in the rough" at DT for us. Kid could turn out to be a steal but will need 2-3 years.

Not completely related to Zeek; staff wanted to take 2 DT's and they think this kid is worth it.

Very interesting prospect. I watched his film on Hudl. the first thing that stands out is the size of this kid. He is listed at 6'2" 290, but his frame isn't even close to being fully filled out yet which is not the case with some of these kids coming in. He has a huge trunk and good base to work with. He moves pretty well for a kid that size and is plenty athletic. He is a true 1 technique or nose in every sense of the word. He will be big enough and strong enough with some S and C to be able to occupy blockers, but moves decent enough to apply some pressure.

He appears to be relatively raw with regards to technique. He doesn't use his natural strength in his legs yet, which is normal at that level when you are bigger and stronger than everyone else. He can get by on pushing smaller kids out of the way. I don't foresee that as a major problem, because his lower body is friggin huge. With some coaching, he could be a very good NT for us. I don't really see him playing 3 tech that much ala Bromley. He has a lot more Zian Jones in him. Definitely a BCS level product that can contribute after a couple years.

Very interesting prospect. I watched his film on Hudl. the first thing that stands out is the size of this kid. He is listed at 6'2" 290, but his frame isn't even close to being fully filled out yet which is not the case with some of these kids coming in. He has a huge trunk and good base to work with. He moves pretty well for a kid that size and is plenty athletic. He is a true 1 technique or nose in every sense of the word. He will be big enough and strong enough with some S and C to be able to occupy blockers, but moves decent enough to apply some pressure.

He appears to be relatively raw with regards to technique. He doesn't use his natural strength in his legs yet, which is normal at that level when you are bigger and stronger than everyone else. He can get by on pushing smaller kids out of the way. I don't foresee that as a major problem, because his lower body is friggin huge. With some coaching, he could be a very good NT for us. I don't really see him playing 3 tech that much ala Bromley. He has a lot more Zian Jones in him. Definitely a BCS level product that can contribute after a couple years.
Sounds like he has excellent potential. Good quickness. Has the academics to boot. Besides his lack of polish/ rawness, and less than optimal size, I wonder what's kept the bigger programs away. I'm assuming he's relatively unknown, under the radar type prospect. I like what I see. Whether a hedge to Rodney or a compliment, we should get this kid in the fold. We need interior DL recruits for sure. I agree he's suited best for NT. Where do we see Williams and Rodney, with Bromley gone and Raymon on the shelf?

He is the perfect kid for us...bring him in, Redshirt him, work on his S+C and technique, become a rotational player RSFr year and then see if he can lock down a spot for 3 seasons.

The difference between years past and this year is in the past we had 20 kids like this one, diamond in the rough, needs some time to be ready, no bigtime offers. Now it is the exception and I have no problem bringing in a few kids like him. Give me 22 Ishmael's and 3 Samuel's each class and I won't cry.

Later offer from Boise State aint so bad though. :noidea:We've had some that I would consider much more so diamonds in the rough.

He is a true 1 technique or nose in every sense of the word. He will be big enough and strong enough with some S and C to be able to occupy blockers, but moves decent enough to apply some pressure.

Wasn't able to watch his tape with the posted link...but got me thinking. Both the current roster of DT guys (Crume, Sloan) and the prospects at DT (Rodney, and now Samuels) are all either natural 1's or seem better suited for the 1. That leaves WW and Raymon at the 3, and both those guys have some hurdles to clear to be legit options. Not sure about Trejo but seems he's backing up either way. That has to strengthen the case for at least one guy (if not 2) now at DE to slide inside to the 3. Lots of possible scenarios but I think it's more and more likely you see Robinson and/or Thompson work at the 3 this year.

Does anyone see Rodney as a 3 or Williams as a 1?

Wasn't able to watch his tape with the posted link...but got me thinking. Both the current roster of DT guys (Crume, Sloan) and the prospects at DT (Rodney, and now Samuels) are all either natural 1's or seem better suited for the 1. That leaves WW and Raymon at the 3, and both those guys have some hurdles to clear to be legit options. Not sure about Trejo but seems he's backing up either way. That has to strengthen the case for at least one guy (if not 2) now at DE to slide inside to the 3. Lots of possible scenarios but I think it's more and more likely you see Robinson and/or Thompson work at the 3 this year.

Does anyone see Rodney as a 3 or Williams as a 1?
what hurdle does wayne have to clear?

Yeah, a lot of NT types. Only Williams and Raymon stand out at the 3. I think the overall speculation is we're moving a DE over. Not Trejo though, he's just bulked up to respectable DE weight. My hunch is Thompson to the 3. He's now at 285lbs supposedly. He could evolve into a Bromley clone, excellent speed and size. Robinson, maybe, if he bulks up. Robinson's always been projected as a DT anyway. I'd rather see Simmons get a shot over Robinson at DE, and rotate Johnson and Welch. Trejo came in with high marks, he could surprise and break the 2-deep. We'll see in the spring.

Last edited:
what hurdle does wayne have to clear?
weight, conditioning. I think he's going to have to work pretty hard to get in great shape. That's kind of a dumb thing to say, I know all these guys work hard... Just seems like the issue with him going forward, more so than his ability or skill set.

Last edited:
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Zeke and Samuels aren't going to be instant impact kids even if they both come here. Wayne has either 3 to play 3 or 2 for 2. Zeke is a 3 tech, Samuels is a NT. They probably won't play the same position. Williams will be at least 2 years ahead of them, and he can play either position, but probably will be a beast of a NT.

Yeah, a lot of NT types. Only Williams and Raymon stand out the 3. I think the overall speculation is we're moving a DE over. Not Trejo though, he's just bulked up to respectable DE weight. My hunch is Thompson to the 3. He's now at 285lbs supposedly. He could evolve into a Bromley clone, excellent speed and size. Robinson, maybe, if he bulks up. Robinson's always been projected as a DT anyway. I'd rather see Simmons get a shot over Robinson at DE, and rotate Johnson and Welch. Trejo came in with high marks, he could surprise and break the 2-deep. We'll see in the spring.

How do we know Williams is a 3? He hasn't played in 2 years and is enormous. Just from that I think he better projects as a 1

I also can't see Robinson moving inside for his SR year. Preferably i'd like to see Sugar Bear move inside. I think his quickness could give interior Olineman all sorts of headaches. Personally I favor Simmons and Johnson over Welsh and Robinson

weight, conditioning. I think he's going to have to work pretty hard to get in great shape. That's kind of a dumb thing to say, I know all these guys work hard... Just seems like the issue with him going forward, more so than his ability or skill set.
But maybe he is in playing shape right now, you don't know that.

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Zeke and Samuels aren't going to be instant impact kids even if they both come here. Wayne has either 3 to play 3 or 2 for 2. Zeke is a 3 tech, Samuels is a NT. They probably won't play the same position. Williams will be at least 2 years ahead of them, and he can play either position, but probably will be a beast of a NT.
How do we know Williams is a 3? He hasn't played in 2 years and is enormous. Just from that I think he better projects as a 1

I also can't see Robinson moving inside for his SR year. Preferably i'd like to see Sugar Bear move inside. I think his quickness could give interior Olineman all sorts of headaches. Personally I favor Simmons and Johnson over Welsh and Robinson