Keeping up with the guards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Keeping up with the guards

Yeah, I agree with your point about the motivation for SWC to post this, to be informative.

But I read this and it's nothing but an indictment on our coaches.
Every program swings and misses on recruits. It's unavoidable and baked into the process.

I'll use a baseball analogy. For years, from a recruiting standpoint, SU was a major market program. Like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. we could miss on a kid, but had the resources to overcome it, because there was always someone better waiting in the wings. These days it feels like we're a smaller market MLB team -- the margin is thinner, because when we miss it's more harmful, there often isn't anyone better who can step in.

In the case of the guard position, we are fortunate to have Kadary and Buddy now -- although a couple years ago the miss on Carey was fairly catastrophic.

We have this argument on the football board all the time. Yes, 3 star kids can develop into all-conference players, no doubt. But it's hard to build a consistent winner with 3 star kids in a P5 conference. Give me a slew of 5 stars, and even if some flame out, enough will hit that the team will be very good.

Bottom line, SU's hoops recruiting needs to get better and deeper.

Every program swings and misses on recruits. It's unavoidable and baked into the process.

I'll use a baseball analogy. For years, from a recruiting standpoint, SU was a major market program. Like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. we could miss on a kid, but had the resources to overcome it, because there was always someone better waiting in the wings. These days it feels like we're a smaller market MLB team -- the margin is thinner, because when we miss it's more harmful, there often isn't anyone better who can step in.

In the case of the guard position, we are fortunate to have Kadary and Buddy now -- although a couple years ago the miss on Carey was fairly catastrophic.

We have this argument on the football board all the time. Yes, 3 star kids can develop into all-conference players, no doubt. But it's hard to build a consistent winner with 3 star kids in a P5 conference. Give me a slew of 5 stars, and even if some flame out, enough will hit that the team will be very good.

Bottom line, SU's hoops recruiting needs to get better and deeper.

Here's the only difference, imo, a big market or small market team can't really do anything about their market, right (of course a team can re-locate, but for the sake of this point, let's assume they are staying put).

The Yankees are in NYC. They have that benefit versus the smaller market teams you are using. There is no choice there. It is fixed.

We have degraded into a small market team, using your analogy, because of our own actions (or inaction).

So, I agree with your overall point, but it's not only that our recruiting needs to get better because of our slim margins for error, but we need to be built back up to the equivalent of a large market team.

And that is different how at Providence? He is playing less there than here. Fine if he wanted to leave for that reason, I get it. But he made a bad decision by going to the Friars it seems.
Because he’ll probably start sooner than he would at cuse.

Here's the only difference, imo, a big market or small market team can't really do anything about their market, right (of course a team can re-locate, but for the sake of this point, let's assume they are staying put).

The Yankees are in NYC. They have that benefit versus the smaller market teams you are using. There is no choice there. It is fixed.

We have degraded into a small market team, using your analogy, because of our own actions (or inaction).

So, I agree with your overall point, but it's not only that our recruiting needs to get better because of our slim margins for error, but we need to be built back up to the equivalent of a large market team.
We have become the Mets before Cohen bought them.
A big market team operating on a small market mindset.

If he was "exactly right," maybe he wouldn't have recruited them and occupied roster space with them and wasted resources on them. Maybe it's more accurate to say that he was wrong about them before being right about them. But, you're also suggesting that they would have had better careers if they had just stuck it out with Syracuse? Would we be better if we had either Brycen or Jalen... and no Kadary?
Kadary had already signed by the time Jalen and Brycen decided to transfer.

Also, they were both consensus top 100 recruits. I don’t know why they’ve struggled so far in their college careers. But those were not mistaken evaluations by the staff. Lots of experts actually thought Jalen was underrated coming in.

Agree. For hoops it's entirely under our control. Not so for football.

Kadary had already signed by the time Jalen and Brycen decided to transfer.

Also, they were both consensus top 100 recruits. I don’t know why they’ve struggled so far in their college careers. But those were not mistaken evaluations by the staff. Lots of experts actually thought Jalen was underrated coming in.

If you are going to criticize JB and the staff for recruiting Carey, Goodine and Washington, you have to praise them for recruiting, Girard, Boeheim and Richmond, who are clearly better.

If you are going to criticize JB and the staff for recruiting Carey, Goodine and Washington, you have to praise them for recruiting, Girard, Boeheim and Richmond, who are clearly better.
The point wasn’t to criticize the staff for ’mistakes.’ It was to correct the record toward objectivity, as the previous claim was that they ‘got it right‘ when they cut ties, but ignored that it was just as fair to say they got it wrong in establishing those ties.

Same applies with Girard and Boeheim. Can’t really praise the staff for those recruits, since they have contributed to league .500 teams and bubbles. “Clearly better” still isn’t good enough. And recruiting Boeheim... not so difficult! JB coulda done that in his pajamas.

Last edited:
Strange. After getting extended mins in one game this year, 25 mins 9 pts, Goodine is getting some good run tonight in their BET game. Had 7 pts, 4 rebs at halftime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom