Keita... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Keita...

And that would be what exactly? He cant score and has like 2 rebounds in 3 games.

Let me ask you a question. In a game we have to win who would you rather have in there BMK or DC?

Gotta get Rak motivated, so maybe we should run some plays for him early (i don't know) - it's not like we're scoring anyway might as well try it on some early possessions. And no need to pull after EVERY mistake, he doesn't do that with Baye.
Did you see how Hopkins got in Xmas's face when JB had to sub DC in for Bayee? Hop took him aside and shook his finger at him. To me it looked like trying to get him reved up and reminding him that with DC in there instead of Bayee, he didn't have as much backup if he screwed up so he better not screw up. Saw how well that work as soon JB decided to go small. Not sure if it was because DC wasn't getting it done or JB thought they needed more fire power.

Let me ask you a question. In a game we have to win who would you rather have in there BMK or DC?

At this point DC, Keita simply cant rebound and has zero ability to score unless its an uncontested layup of a drive. Will DC give up some points, no doubt about it but in over all game DC simply offers more then Keita.

At this point DC, Keita simply cant rebound and has zero ability to score unless its an uncontested layup of a drive. Will DC give up some points, no doubt about it but in over all game DC simply offers more then Keita.

Boy I have to disagree with you there partner. Its now who offers more. Its who performs. I dont care about potential or what could happen. I care about what is happening and BMK is happening all over DC.

You mention BMK's inability to score. What have you seen that makes you think DC is a better option on the offensive end? Man he is lost out there and is softer than my fat stomach.

Boeheim coaches the players the way he thinks they will learn from what he does to them, each kid learns and reacts to different types of discipline and adding to that is how mature the kid is as well along with their potential and what Boeheim expects of the players. Baye has improved his hands and is a back up center and as much as I'd love for him to be a 8 point 6 rebound guy as a backup he will give the team a boost or play solid more often then not but he is what he is.

Coleman and Rak are starters and need to play as such. I do agree that Coleman imo was the right choice to play at the end of the Nova game but that's Jimmys call and as competitive as Boeheim is one of his flaws is his lack of patience with young guys like Coleman and Rak because he'd rather have a known quantity out there instead of living through the ups and downs of a young guy. But then again I don't see these kids in practice like Boeheim does and he knows what they are capable of and what they are not.

Boy I have to disagree with you there partner. Its now who offers more. Its who performs. I dont care about potential or what could happen. I care about what is happening and BMK is happening all over DC.

You mention BMK's inability to score. What have you seen that makes you think DC is a better option on the offensive end? Man he is lost out there and is softer than my fat stomach.

I love ya Marsh but Keita simply has an enormous leash from JB thats pretty much the difference between the two. Keita fouled out in 9 minutes saturday with zero points, zero rebounds, and pretty much zero everything. Coleman has at least shown he can get to the line, and when he had extended minutes against Nova at home he performed. Look im not trying to take a shot against Keita but go watch the Lville and Cincy second halfs, when Keita was in those teams were pretty much playing volleyball on the defensive glass, Keita cant rebound unless hes there by himself with no one around. He still cant handle the ball on any type of pass and is a foul machine. With DC you at least see flashes, Keita has allready started his mid season fade just like he did last year.

But, aren't those PBR muscles?? :rolleyes:

I love ya Marsh but Keita simply has an enormous leash from JB thats pretty much the difference between the two. Keita fouled out in 9 minutes saturday with zero points, zero rebounds, and pretty much zero everything. Coleman has at least shown he can get to the line, and when he had extended minutes against Nova at home he performed. Look im not trying to take a shot against Keita but go watch the Lville and Cincy second halfs, when Keita was in those teams were pretty much playing volleyball on the defensive glass, Keita cant rebound unless hes there by himself with no one around. He still cant handle the ball on any type of pass and is a foul machine. With DC you at least see flashes, Keita has allready started his mid season fade just like he did last year.

Yea I cant disagree with you there. I just dont trust DC in the game for an extended period of time. The Villanova game was tough because Yarou is a freaking monster on the glass.

I really thought we would see by now some type of offensive ability from DC. Defensively he is lost and I get that but I thought he would at least show something offensively. Especially on the offensive glass. You cant teach the size he has and he really doesnt use it to his full potential.

Good problem to have that we have 3 big men. I wish we could combine them all into one guy!

Can't like this enough. Keita is giving us nothing yet everytime I look he's in the game. Rak plays great for ten minutes, makes one defensive mistake and boom, in comes Keita. It makes no sense. Hopefully Southerland comes back and we can go with Rak at Center most the time, CJ/South/Grant combo at the 3/4 with Triche/MCW and spot minutes for Cooney. That leaves backup C minutes for someone and I would rather give them to a guy who is a disaster out there with upside than a guy who is a disaster out there who has reached his ceiling.

Yea I cant disagree with you there. I just dont trust DC in the game for an extended period of time. The Villanova game was tough because Yarou is a freaking monster on the glass.

I really thought we would see by now some type of offensive ability from DC. Defensively he is lost and I get that but I thought he would at least show something offensively. Especially on the offensive glass. You cant teach the size he has and he really doesnt use it to his full potential.

Good problem to have that we have 3 big men. I wish we could combine them all into one guy!

I agree with you regarding the fact that having 3 serviceable centers is a good thing, I certainly like having the abilty to bring Keita in and he does bring some attributes to the team. But I think with DC you have to give him some more minutes, like you said we havent seen much of an offensive game from him whihc is dissapointing but to be honest hes playing about 90 seconds a game in BE play, Larry Bird in his prime would struggle to show some offensive game in 90 seconds. We should be giving DC at least 8-10 minutes a game, his development could be critical to SU making any sort of deep tournament run if Southerland remains out for the rest of the year. We only have 4 scorers at this point, getting a 5th would be a huge help and I dont hold out much hope for Keita or Cooney at this point.

I agree with you regarding the fact that having 3 serviceable centers is a good thing, I certainly like having the abilty to bring Keita in and he does bring some attributes to the team. But I think with DC you have to give him some more minutes, like you said we havent seen much of an offensive game from him whihc is dissapointing but to be honest hes playing about 90 seconds a game in BE play, Larry Bird in his prime would struggle to show some offensive game in 90 seconds. We should be giving DC at least 8-10 minutes a game, his development could be critical to SU making any sort of deep tournament run if Southerland remains out for the rest of the year. We only have 4 scorers at this point, getting a 5th would be a huge help and I dont hold out much hope for Keita or Cooney at this point.

Until he starts proving himself on the defensive end it wont change. I dont like the quick hook at all but its something we have seen before and will continue to see.

Rak is the one that I would like to see get most of the minutes. No reason why he cant play 25-30 a game.

Rak is the one that I would like to see get most of the minutes. No reason why he cant play 25-30 a game.

This I have to agree with. We can debate BMK or Coleman, but Rak is clearly our best big guy. He played 40 minutes against Nova; but he played 29 combined the last 2 games. (With 1 foul total).

Gotta say, wouldn't mind having Noel out there right now... (cue a 10 page thread)

Until he starts proving himself on the defensive end it wont change. I dont like the quick hook at all but its something we have seen before and will continue to see.

Agree on Rak he should be playing the majority of the minutes period, what this team really needs is JS back, that would solve a lot of these issues.

I hate to combine two guys to support your point, but here goes:

This guy
arinze1.jpg

With this guy's defense
314604_crop_exact.jpg

Agree on Rak he should be playing the majority of the minutes period, what this team really needs is JS back, that would solve a lot of these issues.

Wouldn't that just take away minutes from Grant?

Wouldn't that just take away minutes from Grant?

Some but it would also allow JB to actually sit Fair for 5-8 minutes a game to give him a breather, those minutes would go to Grant. You could also run out a lineup of MCW, Triche, Fair, JS, and Grant and go small with JS playing Center, now obviously thats not a lineup you can play for extended minutes but against a team that doenst have a dominate inside presence ie Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul, etc that could work for a couple minutes.

Some but it would also allow JB to actually sit Fair for 5-8 minutes a game to give him a breather, those minutes would go to Grant. You could also run out a lineup of MCW, Triche, Fair, JS, and Grant and go small with JS playing Center, now obviously thats not a lineup you can play for extended minutes but against a team that doenst have a dominate inside presence ie Seton Hall, Providence, Depaul, etc that could work for a couple minutes.

CJ is playing way too many minutes. Southy would certainly help this problem if he comes back.

IMHO Coach B has never put a lot of emphasis in developing Keita. He just takes what he gets from him. The development focus on big men has always been on Fab, Rak and now Coleman. I always thought Keita would be here longer than Fab and some development time should be invested in him. His game is pretty much the same as it was his FR year.

By far the most frustrating thing this year for me is jbs short leash on rak and his long leash on keita. Its ridiculous, every player is gonna make mistakes, rak should be good enough to just relax and play instead of worrying about getting yanked after his first mistake.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see why Fair or Southerland (if he's back) isn't playing more guard. Personally I like CJ on the wing and this gets him out of the key spot...I like him there as well but it makes him a shooter with potential to drive and I want that. I still have to look at this as if JS is not coming back though.

I liked what Coleman did at the end of the Nova game, he was active and offered a big body but he is going through some JB growing pains right now. As for Rak...maybe it's a comb of things, his not being aggressive along with being option 5 which does get frustrating on offense when you work your ass off and the ball just keeps going up or MCW dribbles for an hour and a half.

DC2 cannot play defense in the zone. We cannot win a game giving up lay-ups and dunks. You can not hide the center in the zone it is the MOST important position in the defense, if a guard or a forward screw up it's a jump shot or you still have your center to defend the drive. If the center screws up it is a dunk or a lay-up, there is no rebound you are taking the ball out of the net. People miss jumpers you are not going to see too many misses from two feet.

Baye doesn't rebound but he puts a body on people and that person isn't getting the rebound either. If you look at the game Saturday we didn't get out rebounded until Grant and Baye fouled out, even so we were even for the game in second change points. Baye had 2 blocks and a steal in 9mins of play. DC2 has no blocks and one steal in CONFERENCE play. We don't run plays for Baye so I don't expect him to score we run a play for DC2 in the beginning of every game and he is still not scoring.

Rak is the guy who has to step it up his issues are focus and effort, right now doesn't bring it every night and we need him to bring it every night and we need James back then the sky is the limit.

Yeah, what Gabjon said. I think Baye is superior defensively to DC by a fairly wide margin, so I think those two should split minutes with Baye getting slightly more. I think DC could use a bit more run when possible, but I think at this point I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to force minutes for him because he just seems so limited.

I still think you tend to see Rak play the best when he's somewhat involved offensively, and it seems like he has a lot more talent down low than then we've seen. I think ultimately it would serve us well in JS's absence to work him in more. Even if getting him the ball in the post doesn't generate points, it might keep his motor running, and he's shown an ability to shoot a short face-up. The guards should make a more concerted effort to get the ball inside - I think it will pay dividends in the long run. And, as said before, our offense blows anyway without James, might as well give them some touches inside.

I do think Baye is serviceable for short stretches though, high energy guy, plays decent defense with a tendency to cheat too much though. Every once in awhile you'll get something positive offensively. I don't know...hopefully JS comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom