If we go w/ a combo guard | Syracusefan.com

If we go w/ a combo guard

Cusedad2X

Scout Team
I think if we go combo guard as opposed to a true PG, this is where we'll miss a guy like Q. Q's issues have been discussed at nauseum. However, he was an asset when Judah was being hounded in the backcourt. U could depend on Q to get the ball over half court. After he got there??? Well, that's a debate for another time. lol I for one, will miss Q.

I think if we go combo guard as opposed to a true PG, this is where we'll miss a guy like Q. Q's issues have been discussed at nauseum. However, he was an asset when Judah was being hounded in the backcourt. U could depend on Q to get the ball over half court. After he got there??? Well, that's a debate for another time. lol I for one, will miss Q.
Hopefully Westry is healthy, and will have all of Q’s good qualities and none of his bad ones.

Our PG needs to be able to run and play half court, shoot the three, defend and distribute, because of our current starting lineup.

We basically need a clone of CP3 and we’ll be good.

Donnie Freeman can dribble in space and get the ball over halfcourt.

Our season may ride on Westry's health.
im guessing if they inexplicably dont pick up a PG in the portal it is because westry has been healthy for some time now (and in that case he shouldve been playing this season, imo)

Our PG needs to be able to run and play half court, shoot the three, defend and distribute, because of our current starting lineup.

We basically need a clone of CP3 and we’ll be good.

Either Bell and JJ staying will vindicate themselves and there will be a crow buffet for many or the doomsday scenario will play out. Seems that’s where we are as a board at this point. Might as well grab a few drinks and just see what happens.

season 3 cheers GIF by Berlin Station

Westry is an NBA talent but having chronic injuries so young is not a good sign.
Let’s see the kid hit the court for more than a few minutes before we start talking NBA. If he can give 20 minutes of decent ball it’ll be good.

Let’s see the kid hit the court for more than a few minutes before we start talking NBA. If he can give 20 minutes of decent ball it’ll be good.

Yeah, I'm usually a glass half full kinda guy these days, but he hasn't played in basically 2 years. First from a leg surgery, second from a preseason "lower body injury" that kept him out an entire season.

Any positive contributions we get from him next year is upside, but nothing I would be counting on. At all.

I dont know many players who missed two seasons and came back and did as well as people think Westry will do here. Why wasn't he going to start even last season?

Yeah, I'm usually a glass half full kinda guy these days, but he hasn't played in basically 2 years. First from a leg surgery, second from a preseason "lower body injury" that kept him out an entire season.

Any positive contributions we get from him next year is upside, but nothing I would be counting on. At all.
100%

I’m curious if we see an unexpected late add at SF/G at some point this off season as a hint to where his health is at.

One thing is I don’t ever recall so much hush hush and unknowns around a players status here… to the point the moment we get news he will play I almost expect a “just kidding!” 20 minutes later.

Im not talking health specifics either just whether he is going to ever suit up or not kind of info.

Westry is an NBA talent but having chronic injuries so young is not a good sign.
We don't know if Westry had a chronic injury. We do know his one injury took a long time to heal.

He might be 100% and never get injured again.

Or he might never be right again. We'll see...

My bet is that Copeland saw that Westry was better than him, and healthy. That's why Copeland is playing somewhere else now.

We don't know if Westry had a chronic injury. We do know his one injury took a long time to heal.

He might be 100% and never get injured again.

Or he might never be right again. We'll see...

My bet is that Copeland saw that Westry was better than him, and healthy. That's why Copeland is playing somewhere else now.
Id bet against that, by all accounts Copeland wasn't the greatest guy with this mess of a team. There's plenty of roster room at positions Copeland can play and I haven't heard anything in regards to the program even wanting him back.

This. He’s basically Chris sale at this point. Very, very talented prospect but at this stage, while you take what you can get, you can’t bank on getting anything. Nothing against the kid and I’m rooting for him, but you have to plan your roster under the assumption that at best he’ll be limited and/or unavailable. If it happens that he’s healthy and great, that’s terrific but there’s no way to count on that

we need a backcourt who complements each other. not clones communicating on different wavelengths

We
Need
A
Point
Guard

I dont know many players who missed two seasons and came back and did as well as people think Westry will do here. Why wasn't he going to start even last season?

Carey and Cuffe were both coming off missing essentially two full seasons. So we have examples right in front of us.

Carey and Cuffe were both coming off missing essentially two full seasons. So we have examples right in front of us.
Are those the two examples you really want to use? Cuffe was maybe a hair better than useless and Carey, I'm not even going to say anything.

Are those the two examples you really want to use? Cuffe was maybe a hair better than useless and Carey, I'm not even going to say anything.

Yes, that's my point. We can't count on getting ANYTHING from Westry after 2 years of knee injuries.

Yes, that's my point. We can't count on getting ANYTHING from Westry after 2 years of knee injuries.
My bad, I thought you were disagreeing with me and using their names. Was a little shocked, should've assumed the other way when they were brought up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom