Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone | Syracusefan.com

Kelvin Sampson vs Cuse zone

As we've seen time and time again, it's the players not the coaches. 2018 we flummoxed not Izzo but Winston, Bridges and Jackson Jr. Tonight we fooled not Huggins but McBride and Culver.

Houston is a squad but we can play with anybody right now

2 days. This time he has 6. Big difference.
And I’m certain that game has haunted him for a long time. Not saying he’s been preparing for the zone in his head for 18 years, but I’m sure he will have a better plan this time around.

doesn’t mean he can execute it, or that we won’t adjust and take his options away. It’s virtually impossible to prep for our length and the speed of the way we closed at times today. I want to see this team head to the E8

Everybody knows WHAT to do against it. The trouble is actually DOING it. The players not only have to understand what to do, they have to be able to process what they are seeing and then execute at game speed and against the length and quickness our good defensive teams have. This is a good defensive team.

Special shout out to Kenny and Chuck who always seem to disparage the zone. San Diego State looked like a team that took their advice to just shoot 3s. It’s not just the 2-3 coaches the way we coach it - it’s the pressure everyone puts on the opposing team. “Just flash a guy to the post” “shoot them out of it” “throw the alley-oop” and all that stuff works until it doesnt

I remember the wonderful coaching job Kelvin did against the zone when he was the coach of Oklahoma in 2003. Here’s to hoping he prepares his Houston team in similar fashion.

One thing that seems apparent -- they have a team of slashers, not shooters.

WVU was able to get over their poor start because they had a bunch of guys capable of drilling deep shots. I don't think that Houston has that same capability. When we take away their ability to slash to the hoop, they're really going to struggle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom