Class of 2019 - Ken Evans Jr. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Ken Evans Jr.

I thought this thread was about Ken Evans Jr.

As orange79 would say, take the off topic stuff not related to the subject to the basketball board. This is your last warning.
Everything is connected. This guy could play the three so the Bell discussion is fairly relevant.

There’s not much I’ve seen on tape from Evans that screams “PG”.
Agreed. But I’ve watched two of Evans JSU games and he did function as a secondary ballhandler who occasionally took over as the lead guard at times. On the occasions I saw him running the point, he seemed to go into floor general/pass first-mode - looking to set up teammates over looking for his own shot and he made good passes/decisions. But I only saw it happen in spurts, not long stretches so tbh, it's hard to accurately evaluate his PG game off of what I've seen.

So while I haven't found a lot of evidence of his PG skills on YouTube, Red & his staff can see ALL the Evans tape they need to see and obviously they’ve dissected his game and decided to target him. I agree that little about Evans game screams PG at first glance but I do see some traits that show that if given the opportunity, he may be able to successfully transition to the point guard spot ala Dakota Leffew - who Evans has a very similar profile to. Both are 6’5, both are three-level scorers who shoot a high 3-pt %, both have solid not spectacular handles but dribble well enough to break pressure, lead a fast break, get to their spots and get into the paint to finish or dish. And while neither looks like an elite defender, both players use their length to be disruptive on D and both are active on the boards.

Watched a full Leffew game when he was “the guy” and he looked to be more aggressive offensively than KE, not at all shy about pulling the trigger. Evans appears to be more of silent assassin type who scores his points within the flow of the game on a team that shares the ball well. Didn’t see Evans show any ball hog, Iso-ball or hero-ball tendencies. He appears to be unselfish, vocal when needed but generally looks to lead and play with an understated, quiet confidence - all desirable point guard traits.

This is just pure speculation but it seems to me that Coach Autry’s portal PG strategy this off-season has been this: rather than pay the exorbitant NIL rates that the top ranked portal PGs are demanding, Red has instead decided to target accomplished, mature, lengthy (less expensive?) combo guards like Reynolds, Leffew, Gayle and now Evans, that they believe can be converted into point guards (or continue the conversion in Leffew’s case) and who can co-pilot the position for one season with a true (but slightly undersized) PG in Carlos - while not scaring away the coveted ‘25 HS PG targets.

As I’ve said in other posts, I think the pitch to Evans is - or to any other unknown combo guard target who also fits their profile: come to SU, play in the ACC with a 5-star potential lotto pick and we’ll develop your point guard skills to improve your pro prospects while also winning a lot of games, competing for a conference title and making The Big Dance - which will only enhance your profile/pro prospects. SU may be offering the keys to the bus - even if in the end, Carlos ends up doing most of the driving. It’s a bit of risky strategy by Red but IMHO, a forward-thinking logical one that just may work out if they can land the right player. Evans looks like a great candidate - if that's the strategy.

Again, more speculation but Red may also have to offer Evans an opportunity to start at PG - just to entice him to come to a team that already has a returning starter at SG in Starling. It’s not likely that a reigning conference POY from the deep south is going to transfer all the way up north to Syracuse to come off the bench. And on paper at least, the only “open” starting position at SU is at PG - as Carlos was NOT guaranteed the starting job.

Evans appears to be the lengthy, sweet shooting perimeter weapon that Red & his staff clearly want and desperately need on the ‘24 roster. Potential starter’s minutes at PG in a power conference might be an angle Red has to use to entice Evans (or any other CG target) to come to Syracuse. But whether they are offering him as a PG, CG or simply as another SG/Wing, Evans scoring knack and outside shooting stroke would be a huge addition to this team so I hope Red reels him in. If Evans does transfer to SU, a Top 25 ranking by tourney time is not at all unrealistic.

Last edited:
One person said "build around Bell"...I have that person on ignore but made the mistake of reading it anyway.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes even having a person on ignore, you gotta look anyway.

No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce

People take things a little too literally sometimes. Bell is definitely one of the main pieces for next year. That being said the thing that encourages me the most about next year is competition/options for minutes. Assuming staff gets another guard there are plethora of options. There won’t be a single player as talented as Judah but hopefully competition for minutes leads to better practices and a tougher team.
Let the five guards battle it out in the preseason for a spot on the rotation. If Moore can play some defense there is no reason he can’t carve out a roll. No one gets handed anything.

Last edited:
Build around Bell? Is that quoted somewhere or just speculation because he didn’t portal when so many wanted him to?
Exactly, the fact that people think we’re building the team around Bell is insane. He’s a part of the puzzle. Just like Lampkin is a part of the puzzle and just like Freeman is part of the puzzle. Chris is going to be better with better players around him. He should be more efficient. And he should get better. Looks.

Exactly, the fact that people think we’re building the team around Bell is insane. He’s a part of the puzzle. Just like Lampkin is a part of the puzzle and just like Freeman is part of the puzzle. Chris is going to be better with better players around him. He should be more efficient. And he should get better. Looks.
Are you saying that some posters are insane??

Everything is connected. This guy could play the three so the Bell discussion is fairly relevant.

Most of it’s not relevant unless Evan’s comes here. So it would be more relevant on the regular board and less relevant on the board with info on the recruitment of Evan’s. Which these pages are largely lacking.

I think it boils down to this with Bell:
  • He's a tall, quick-release tier-1 pure shooter (...and those don't grow on trees)
  • He's long and athletic
His issues are largely mental with a serial lack of focus and limitations on playing smart D (not biting on every fake and hacking.)

If he gets his mental and focus issues worked out (a big IF), he's NBA material. Get him a sports psychologist, meditation and visualization techniques, talk to Fran Brown, talk to Ferris Bueller... whatever it takes, LOL!

I also think his engagement on offense should be a lot better this coming year without ISO ball-hog Mintz running the show to get himself his at the expense of everyone else... I.E. Hopefully Bell is a big piece of a MUCH MORE balanced offense.

Last edited:
I think it boils down to this with Bell:
  • He's a tier-1 pure shooter (they don't grow on trees)
  • He's long and athletic
His issues are largely mental with a serial lack of focus and limitations on playing smart D (not biting on every fake and hacking.)

If he gets his mental and focus issues worked out (arguably a big IF), he's NBA material. Get him a sports psychologist, meditation and visualization techniques, talk to Fran Brown, talk to Ferris Bueller... whatever it takes, LOL!

I also think his engagement on offense should be a lot better this coming year with ISO ball-hog Mintz not running the show to get himself his at the expense of everyone else... I.E. HopefullyBell is a big piece of a MUCH MORE balanced offense.
Having a point guard who looks for shooters will help the entire team. Good point guards get you the ball on time in position to score.
Judah too often gave the ball up as a last resort, which leads to rushed shots and lower percentages.

Having a point guard who looks for shooters will help the entire team. Good point guards get you the ball on time in position to score.
Judah too often gave the ball up as a last resort, which leads to rushed shots and lower percentages.

Exactly... balance the offense with better ball movement and distribution and make Bell a lethal sharpshooter.

About us getting him

If so, hopefully, plan C or D can still be a positive contributor... but when you get to C or D, you're often into the law of diminishing returns...

Last edited:
About us getting him

I wonder who’s on the list then moving past him…. Not to mention the fact that with St John’s involved that means absurd money. Very curious just how much they are into their roster for NIL

This thread took a disappointing turn. Haha.

I won't necessarily be disappointed if the staff thinks Evans isn't our guy or isn't worth the $ he wants. I will if they think they can roll with what we have. That would mean counting on big improvements from returning guys, good health from everyone (not just Westry and McCleod) and basically not hedging our bets.

About us getting him
Well, I really hate to hear that. That sucks. Just when I was thinking we might be in better shape after missing on Leffew. I guess we still could be. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom