Kenny and Barkley: | Syracusefan.com

Kenny and Barkley:

jekelish

Living Legend
"Zone is far and away the easiest defense to play against."

Frank Martin, who is on set today, thought bubble: "F@ck you."

Greg Anthony "How come defenses shoot 38% against them then?"
Kenny's response "Because they score on the other end"

Greg Anthony said something like "How do they have 33 wins and hold teams to 38% shooting on the season?"

i guess we'd be unstoppable as a man to man team then?

"...and Wisconsin milked that all night long"...
HELLLOOOOO Chuck, Wiscy lost!:rolling:

A couple of me first NBAers can't understand the concept of team defense? Shocking.

Its weird because we are what a top 15 defense in the NCAA's?

Clearly Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith are greater basketball minds than Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino Frank Martin, Jamie Dixon, JT3, etc

Kenny does make a good point. The 2-3 zone might be easy to go against if you have talent and can shoot but the reason our 2-3 is so good is because we have ridiculous talent, length, and athleticism. I have no problem with what he said. If we had a bunch of 6'0 unathletic dudes in the zone we would get murdered. Its more the talent within the zone, than the zone.

Greg Anthony is fantastic btw.

The JB soundbite was classic, though.

If CBS can't understand that Greg is the only one with a logical thought in his head, they deserve to have the viewership come down on their heads in every blog or article possible.

Greg Anthony "How come defenses shoot 38% against them then?"
Kenny's response "Because they score on the other end"

He actually said that we had good players and thats why. Not sure it made sense, but it wasn't about the offense.
As soon as I saw the segment on I knew there would be a thread on it. And rightfully so; Anthony made the right point; they are looking at in in NBA terms, in terms of what they could do against it.

Kenny does make a good point. The 2-3 zone might be easy to go against if you have talent and can shoot but the reason our 2-3 is so good is because we have ridiculous talent, length, and athleticism. I have no problem with what he said. If we had a bunch of 6'0 dudes on the zone we would get murdered. Its more the talent within the zone, than the zone.

The zone is probably pretty easy to go against if you are Charles Barkley, but then again, pretty much any defense is easy to go against if you are Charles Barkley, you're one of the 25 or 30 best players in the history of basketball. It's less about the type of defense and more about the players, of course.

Greg Anthony is fantastic btw.

Agreed. It also helps that he has actually watched college hoops before about 2 weeks ago.

I have been switching back and forth between the preview and Golf. Was it basically a Louisville feel good story, an Ohio St feel good story, a Pitino-Donovan lovefast, followed by a crapping on the Syracuse 2-3 Zone.

Can't even comment on this anymore. Bite it Kenny. Remember Kenny in the '87 Final Four? Me neither. Sherm & Monroe stopped you a** in the zone:blah:

I have been switching back and forth between the preview and Golf. Was it basically a Louisville feel good story, an Ohio St feel good story, a Pitino-Donovan lovefast, followed by a crapping on the Syracuse 2-3 Zone.
Haha, yes in fact it was.

Doing and thinking the exact same thing.

Haha, yes in fact it was.

Thanks. I was just wondering if there was any "Feel Good" segment for Syracuse (as I missed much of the show), or they just decided to crap on the 2-3 and try to make Jimmy look like a .

So basically they set us up as the villain with the dumb and arrogant coach, while kissing the ass of every other team and coach.

Thanks. I was just wondering if there was any "Feel Good" segment for Syracuse (as I missed much of the show), or they just decided to crap on the 2-3 and try to make Jimmy look like a .

So basically they set us up as the villain with the dumb and arrogant coach, while kissing the ass of every other team and coach.
They didn't talk about Fab Melo, Bernie Fine, or our drug tests; that's a positive!

They didn't talk about Fab Melo, Bernie Fine, or our drug tests; that's a positive!
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not mention "drug tests" and "positive" in the same thread. That's how rumors start.

Here's why Kenny and Chuck think that... in their mind, they can beat our defense.

...in their prime with their NBA teams... no one is gonna zone them to a loss...

In other words, they can't get out out of the way of their own egos to understand how the JB zone works on the college level...

Anthony is very good - head and shoulders above the other two clowns.

Barkley is clueless. If he's asked for an explanation for an answer, he just says the same thing again or says "talent" when he gets really confused.

Charles: The zone is the easiest defense to score on.

Why? Because it's easy to play against.

Why does it work then? Talent!

Anthony is very good - head and shoulders above the other two clowns.

Barkley is clueless. If he's asked for an explanation for an answer, he just says the same thing again or says "talent" when he gets really confused.

Charles: The zone is the easiest defense to score on.

Why? Because it's easy to play against.

Why does it work then? Talent!
In fairness, that was Kenny who kept saying that.

Kenny and Charles never played against SU's zone.
Charles has said this for two years. Time to get some new material.

In fairness, that was Kenny who kept saying that.
Charles was too busy saying both he and Aaron Craft were valedictorians and he was smart enough to figure out the zone

People forget too that JB used the zone to get an undersized team to the final game in 1996 (that's kinda where the SU zone legend began) and gave a loaded Kentucky team all they wanted.

I think a man-to-man defense where you can only leave your man to double team the ball (NBA) would be easier to beat than a zone. In college you can do whatever you want to take another teams best player out of the game. You can use man-to-man, 1-3-1 zone, 2-3 zone, box and 1, triangle and 2. Their are no rules agains using whatever defense you want to. The NBA's rules are geared towards making sure the stars have every oppurtunity to shine. That's why they have rules limiting what defenses can do. Even the NBA's zone rules ensure that a big shot blocking center can't camp out in the paint. I'm sure the late 80's early 90's piston teams (and dare I say Barkley's 76ers/Suns teams) would've loved to have thrown one at Jordan back in the day. Oh, and maybe our NBA analysts should be reminded that last years NBA champions zoned their way to a championship against the most talented team in the league last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom