Kenpom loves our Adj Defense | Syracusefan.com

Kenpom loves our Adj Defense

I suspect it will get better as the season goes on. The ACC looks to be a meat grinder pace wise again this season with the exception of Duke, Lville and UNC. The shooting conference wide doesn't look so good either. Add to that all of our young guys learning the defense and its likely to improve. Like JB said we lost the game Tuesday because of turnovers not defense. He alluded to offense as well but the offense was good when we actually got shots.

Rak is (and always has been) a beast in the middle, but I think McCullough will be the best defensive wing we've had since Wes. Grant was nice with th eblocks but his defensive rebounding always seemed underwhelming to me consider his size. McCullough is a monster on the glass.

Rak is (and always has been) a beast in the middle, but I think McCullough will be the best defensive wing we've had since Wes. Grant was nice with th eblocks but his defensive rebounding always seemed underwhelming to me consider his size. McCullough is a monster on the glass.

It's possible but defensive rebounding has to improve. It was unacceptable vs Michigan. Even Belein in his presser was surprised how many off rebounds they snagged. Takes away chances on offense. BIG part of the story aside from the turnovers in the Michigan game. Some of it was bad bounces but some of it was the lack of strength with McCullough and BJ in his limited minutes not being able to secure a board. Corner threes allowed is still a problem. I am optimistic, though!

And SU's adjusted offensive efficiency is far from awful, despite not passing the eye test for long stretches thus far. That bodes well, and tells me reports of this being a bubble team have been greatly exaggerated.

I think #7 is a pretty reasonable prediction for where well end up defensively.

It's possible but defensive rebounding has to improve. It was unacceptable vs Michigan. Even Belein in his presser was surprised how many off rebounds they snagged. Takes away chances on offense. BIG part of the story aside from the turnovers in the Michigan game. Some of it was bad bounces but some of it was the lack of strength with McCullough and BJ in his limited minutes not being able to secure a board. Corner threes allowed is still a problem. I am optimistic, though!

It's actually been ok this year in general (89th in the country, would be by far our best ranking if we finished there) but Michigan killed us. At this point I just expect we're going to be a bad defensive rebounding team because of the system we play. And for whatever its worth, the best defensive rebounding team we've had since 2002 (2008) was the team with the worst rank in defensive efficiency. That doesnt mean I don't want to break the tv when I see us getting killed on the defensive glass though

I suspect it will get better as the season goes on. The ACC looks to be a meat grinder pace wise again this season with the exception of Duke, Lville and UNC. The shooting conference wide doesn't look so good either. Add to that all of our young guys learning the defense and its likely to improve. Like JB said we lost the game Tuesday because of turnovers not defense. He alluded to offense as well but the offense was good when we actually got shots.

I would add Virginia to that group... They have an excellent chance of repeating as ACC Champs... As good as Duke is, they may struggle with Cavs experience.

And SU's adjusted offensive efficiency is far from awful, despite not passing the eye test for long stretches thus far. That bodes well, and tells me reports of this being a bubble team have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm optimistic about SU hoops every year, and look forward to every game, but there's nothing unreasonable about suggesting SU possibly being NIT this year. I'd say the chances of them making the Big Dance are very, very roughly 50/50 this year. Remember, major conference teams don't get those tournament seeds up around 14, 15, 16, so some teams that finish around .500 in conference tend to be near the bubble. 10 or 11 losses for this team by ACC Tourney time isn't impossible. Or 12 or 13. It takes a lot of hard grinding, and a lot of luck, to come away victorious in more than half a season's nail-biters.

To stay off the bubble, SU would have to win out in non-conference play, and maybe lose no more than 2 unexpected ACC games, along with the 5 or 6 or 7 they should lose against stronger ACC teams (although one hopes SU can steal at least one of those).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom