Kentucky and Calipari Are Ruining College Basketball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky and Calipari Are Ruining College Basketball

It doesn't take much to change a game. With an average spread of about 3.5 points, it sure doesn't take a lot to change the outcome.

It's also not just the fouls called, it's the effect that they have on the flow of the game.

So with our game with Ohio State, for a defensive and transition team like SU, it's not just the fouls called, it's their effect on how we can play defense and not being able to run in transition. I have no doubt in my mind that there was a conscious effort to affect the outcome of the game. Statistically, where just the fouls called were three standard deviations from the average of the entire regular season, and that there were 6 more called than the highest total for any game this season, the officiating in that game against us was incredibly mathematically improbable. And there are way too many games in the tournament now that are in that same category than to explain as mere coincidence, especially given their timing in the postseason.
liked for the use of statistics

They should use the baseball rule.

You can go to the draft after you graduate high school, or you have to stay for three years of college.

Go back to the OP that started the discussion. It's not whether a 1 and done led a team to a championship. It's not that we too are recruiting Noel. It's a difference in recruiting philosophy. Calimari has a far different philosophy than any other coach in the country. It's why Knight and WWW were in the lockerroom celebrating.

I argue that the philosophy is not much different. Both JB and the Squid try to get the best players available regardless of how long they expect to stay. That is a fact as evidenced by this link where JB says the main objective is to get "great" players. Calipari's philosophy is not any different. What's different is that Kentucky is just more successful at it. The idea that SU would turn down 3 one and dones for 1 one and done and two role players because the role players will stay longer is flat out absurd.

http://stacktv.stack.com/Recruiting/Coaches-on-Recruiting/Jim-Boeheim-on-OneandDone-Players.html

I argue that the philosophy is not much different. Both JB and the Squid try to get the best players available regardless of how long they expect to stay. That is a fact as evidenced by this link where JB says the main objective is to get "great" players. Calipari's philosophy is not any different. What's different is that Kentucky is just more successful at it. The idea that SU would turn down 3 one and dones for 1 one and done and two role players because the role players will stay longer is flat out absurd.

http://stacktv.stack.com/Recruiting/Coaches-on-Recruiting/Jim-Boeheim-on-OneandDone-Players.html

Calipari goes after a bunch of one and dones because he can then tell the next class the guy in front of them is one and done and leaving. JB while he goes after selected top talent who might be one and done doesn't do that. There are plenty of one and dones that we just don't go after because we have guys in those spots. He won't go after a one and done and push MCW aside. We also don't wave the WWW's in front of them either. If Calapari had his way, he would take 5 of them a class. JB wouldn't even target that many and never has. Just because he says you need great players doesn't mean he would load up on one and dones. Like he said in that video, we've had guys who "thought" they were one and dones. Dion planned to do that. Devo thought he was one and done, or two at most. He even says the key is to have other good players so that when the one and done leaves, you still have a good team. Calapari would roll the dice and take all one and dones if he could and then hand them over to WWW and others. Different philosophies.

He won't go after a one and done and push MCW aside. .

How can you reasonably believe this when this is exactly what happened just two years ago? Paul Harris is another example of a guy who thought he was one and done. Ended up staying 3 years and we can all agree he needed a 4th. Didn't get that chance though since Wes Johnson (a one and done at SU) was clearly the better player and JB made a concise decision to tell Paul it was best for all for him to pack his bags and move on.

It's 4 1 year scholarships not 1 4 year scholarships at all of of the schools not just Kentucky. If there was clearly a better player than MCW that had true interest in SU then JB would absolutely push MCW aside. Very naive to think otherwise.

How can you reasonably believe this when this is exactly what happened just two years ago? Paul Harris is another example of a guy who thought he was one and done. Ended up staying 3 years and we can all agree he needed a 4th. Didn't get that chance though since Wes Johnson (a one and done at SU) was clearly the better player and JB made a concise decision to tell Paul it was best for all for him to pack his bags and move on.

It's 4 1 year scholarships not 1 4 year scholarships at all of of the schools not just Kentucky. If there was clearly a better player than MCW that had true interest in SU then JB would absolutely push MCW aside. Very naive to think otherwise.

JB didn't tell Harris to move on because of Wes. If you really think Calamari and JB have the same recruiting philosophy then I don't know what to say.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Now that Cal has won a title it will force major changes in the near future. The other blue blood programs like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Mich St are not going to allow themselves to be left behind while the squid corners the market on talent. They will either pressure the NCAA to make rule changes to restrict the 1 and done and if not they will adapt to take advantage of it like Cal. Either way UK will not be allowed to corner the market with its rogue strategy.

ONE title since 98 is what Kentucky has. This wasn't Cal's first year there. While I at some point may agree with this attempt to handcuff Cal, it seems a little nonsensical to say the entire league should change major rules after a team wins ONE championship. I'm not sure if I am the only one who think its is a bit too early to tell. Anyone else ever read both sides of that global warming thing? Or after watching Supersize Me, did anyone ever bother to see it debunked in Fathead? http://www.fathead-movie.com/

A good way to convince yourself of something is to do your best to destroy it and see if it still stands, rather than trying to aid it by propping it up. I think the jury is still out on Cal. He and his system aren't John Wooden yet, and are very likely never to be close.

Amongst other things, he has to convince all those stars to play together and not be selfish.