Kentucky effect | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky effect

Indeed. But for the two mercenaries, we would have been a disaster this year. We got those two because they saw an opportunity.
I called John and Andrew mercs at the being of the season. But, now consider them Syracuse family, and 2 of my favorite players even without a Tourney bid. These guys played their guts out for SU, and will leave some amazing moments to their Cuse legacy...

In general I don't get upset over losing a player to Kentucky, but I do get upset when I see that they not only got one 4+ star PG we offered, but two in the same class. How are you going to lose out to the same school on TWO point guards when your only good one is a fifth-year senior? It should be so easy to recruit against that.

Who would be our huge boosters? Or do we need to change the curriculum?
They have Ashley Judd in the stands cheering. Who can SU get?

In general I don't get upset over losing a player to Kentucky, but I do get upset when I see that they not only got one 4+ star PG we offered, but two in the same class. How are you going to lose out to the same school on TWO point guards when your only good one is a fifth-year senior? It should be so easy to recruit against that.
We don't have anyone to blame about the PG mess but ourselves. We went all in on one guy and didn't even bother with a backup option. The coaching staff should have been in panic mode the minute KU came into the picture.

They have Ashley Judd in the stands cheering. Who can SU get?

We already have somebody for that position: :cool:

img_3477-png.89626

img_0110-jpg.89630

Not sure what your point is. Mine is that Cal, beyond being a great coach is a master recruiter and marketer of his program. I don't like UK but I can't ignore a good thing when I see it.

You brought up the huge boosters. I was wondering where we would get them.

Wrong guys as in how many busts have we had in the past 4 years. Also Syracuse doesn't appeal to one and done guys. Our system doesn't showcase them the way KU does. KU probably runs more fast breaks in a game then we do all season

Everybody has "busts". Andrew White was one at Kansas because he wasn't an immediate star. I think a bigger issue is keeping the guys who weren't busts. We've lost too many second round types who want the money ASAP instead of staying another year or two to work on their skills and improve their standing. If we'd had Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant, Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson for 2-3-4 years the last few seasons would have been very different.

Also, we had a 7 year NCAA investigation and probation with scholarship limits, which puts our recruiters on eggshells. Injuries ahve not been kind, either.

I called John and Andrew mercs at the being of the season. But, now consider them Syracuse family, and 2 of my favorite players even without a Tourney bid. These guys played their guts out for SU, and will leave some amazing moments to their Cuse legacy...

You are absolutely right. These guys played their hearts out for us. If that last shot of John's had gone in, and it looked good all the way, he would have saved our hides again. Those two guys got us there and deserve all the credit. It took half the season for them to adjust to our system and when they get rolling we were a factor.

In fact, because of the sanctions and JB and staff falling asleep at the wheel and not recognizing the pickle we were in - that we did not have enough quality players available for this season. When that registered, they panicked, went looking and got lucky. These two guys were out there and smart enough to recognize the opportunity. If they had not come with us this season, we would have been a total bust and this site would have eaten the staff alive as we fell to the bottom of the ACC. These guys bailed the staff out big time.

and don't forget the canadien jamaal magloire 96/97. UK Career Statistics for Jamaal Magloire
passed up starting for the cuse to sit the bench in kentucky. right now our biggest selling point should be playing time and big league exposure.rather have a frosh one and done than a 5th year one and done.

(from the magloire effect by chris mckee 2016)
Since Magloire’s impact at Kentucky, there have been two Toronto players selected first overall in the NBA Draft in Andrew Wiggins (2014) and Anthony Bennett (2013), as well as Murray being selected seventh overall in this year’s Draft. The NBA is also littered with several others from the Toronto area including Tristan Thompson (Cleveland), Tyler Ennis(Bucks), Nik Stauskas (76ers) to name a few.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom