Key Game of the Season | Syracusefan.com

Key Game of the Season

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
FSU, 3rd game of the year. Assuming SU beats Western Michigan (I know, I know, shouldn't get ahead of myself), and Wagner, then we get a not-so-fearsome-and-regrouping-under-a-new-coach FSU at home. If SU wins, the team has a good shot at 6 wins before November when injuries and lack of depth have caused problems the last two seasons.

Win that game and keep the recruits who may be leaning elsewhere, who knows maybe entice some others?

[QUOTE="OrangeinBoston, post: 2646232, member: 478"then we get a not-so-fearsome-and-regrouping-under-a-new-coach FSU at home. [/QUOTE]

Heck of a description for the team picked to finish 2nd in the Atlantic

Louisville.

Late season home game, do’able win. Must win likely scenario. We don’t want to have 5 wins going to Boston. Not loving having to find a 6th vs notre dame in nyc either

Also FSU is reloaded, healthy and competing for a top 10 finish. Lets not kid ourselves. They do not rebuild.

FSU definitely has the makings of a potential showdown. But with our luck we’ll field a defensive backfield with stand ins for Tyrion Lannister and Rex will be forced to play and throw with his left arm.

I'm not getting my hopes up. There's just too much talent on that team. Willie Taggart might be just what they need to refocus. With Francois and their RBs, they can play a fairly basic scheme and thrive in the Dome.

Take Louisville and two NCs in the Dome. Win the 3 OOC we're supposed to win. Boom. Formula.

I'm of course excited about 2018, but more excited about 2019. That's the re-enter the Top 25 season the way everything lines up (including schedule).

I was thinking FSU also; now I believe the first game. Set the tone for the whole season. Go in there, knock the crap out of them. Come home, business trip.

I'm not getting my hopes up. There's just too much talent on that team. Willie Taggart might be just what they need to refocus. With Francois and their RBs, they can play a fairly basic scheme and thrive in the Dome.

Take Louisville and two NCs in the Dome. Win the 3 OOC we're supposed to win. Boom. Formula.

I'm of course excited about 2018, but more excited about 2019. That's the re-enter the Top 25 season the way everything lines up (including schedule).

with a brand new qb? I think this year is the year to make heads turn around. Senior QB is so important. Devito is a complete unknown. I want to see major progress this year and us sniffing top 25 now. It's there for the taking if we can get off to a fast start. All starts with Dungey.

with a brand new qb? I think this year is the year to make heads turn around. Senior QB is so important. Devito is a complete unknown. I want to see major progress this year and us sniffing top 25 now. It's there for the taking if we can get off to a fast start. All starts with Dungey.

Now I might be getting my hopes up to much, but it will be Devito's year 3 in the system when he takes over and from the few times I've seen him throw live he has looked really good.
Would I take a 4 year starter over a brand new face, yes most of the time. In our situtation I don't expect to see much of a drop off at QB in 2019.

Agreed, across the board. The 2018 squad does some heavy lifting and gets to a bowl. That sets the table for the coaches to have something positive to sell on the recruiting trail, and begins to alter the perception about the direction our program is trending. Handoff goes smoothly to an experienced QB who doesn't allow the offense to drop off.

Stage set for big 2019 and beyond, as some of the current skilled talent matures and gains experience.

QB is the one position on this team that doesn’t worry me. Now, or in the immediate future.

I can’t believe I just said that out loud. But I did.

QB is the one position on this team that doesn’t worry me. Now, or in the immediate future.

I can’t believe I just said that out loud. But I did.

I'm banking on Dungey winning us a few games on his own though. but yeah, we're finally bringing in real qb talent.

Agreed, across the board. The 2018 squad does some heavy lifting and gets to a bowl. That sets the table for the coaches to have something positive to sell on the recruiting trail, and begins to alter the perception about the direction our program is trending. Handoff goes smoothly to an experienced QB who doesn't allow the offense to drop off.

Stage set for big 2019 and beyond, as some of the current skilled talent matures and gains experience.
Agree about the positive sentiment for 2018 and the possible impact on recruiting.

There are some puts and takes for 2019, especially in the front 6 on offense. Lose a very good TE, both OTs, a senior OG, our starting RB, our multi-year starter QB. On defense, lose Slayton, Cordy, and the two senior LBs listed as starters. Gain a couple of good transfers (RB and WR), and return a ton of experience at DB and DL. Several of Babers' recruits should step up this season and fill in behind what we lose. Need to make some hay in 2018.

Didn’t think they’d beat VT in the dome two years ago, didn’t think they’d beat Clemson in the dome last year - a very good team is going to get beat in the dome this year - I can see that team being FSU early in the year on the road.

NC State is definitely losing in the dome this year as well. This team is going bowling, and it’ll be locked up pretty early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom