Key to the game Bradford, Petry, Villari, Allen | Syracusefan.com

Key to the game Bradford, Petry, Villari, Allen

GoSU96

Living Legend
The right side of the line is going to be 2nd unit guys. They need to not get Tisdalled. SU is going to have to give help in pass protection, keep the TE and/or Allen in.

Can they get Villari involved to chip and slip out for a dump off. Use Allen on screens to slow down the rush.

Stonehouse needs to be great. Field position is going to be important.

Last edited:
It was mentioned elsewhere here but this is the game we utilize Allen out of the backfield

Feels like a 6-7 catch game for him

I also think your chip / slip with Villari seems probable in this one

I just don't see us trying to establish a traditional run game this week

It was mentioned elsewhere here but this is the game we utilize Allen out of the backfield

Feels like a 6-7 catch game for him

I also think your chip / slip with Villari seems probable in this one

I just don't see us trying to establish a traditional run game this week
Purdue is built to stop the run. Very big across the front 4.
Their secondary is stout but not tall. They will be hard to run on.

More Ellis both officially out? Where was this mentioned?
People are taking Matt Park’s comments from yesterday on the radio and running with it.

Word seems to be More is close but TBD if he's a go Saturday, Ellis not quite there.

The right side of the line is going to 2nd unit guys. They need to not get Tisdalled. SU is going to have to give help in pass protection, keep the TE and/or Allen in.

Can they get Villari involved to chip and slip out for a dump off. Use Allen on screens to slow down the rush.

Stonehouse needs to be great. Field position is going to be important.
Why Villari > Mang?

I don't expect to see More, Ellis, Wohlabaugh, Pena or Gadsden in uniform tomorrow.

Between the five, we are down four starters on one side of the ball.

If the line is still SU -2.5, consider taking Purdue and the points now. If the line moves it will likely drop (SU -1.5 or less) and could create a middle (SU by 2). Start with Purdue +2.5 and later take SU -1.5 (if the movement happens) and if SU wins by 2 you will win both bets. Low risk high reward.

Players are always looking for an opportunity to prove themselves. Tomorrow is an opportunity for guys to prove they belong on the field.

Go Orange.

Just don’t chip and slip with mang cause he’ll miss the chip part.

Wohl got the start but I don’t think Petry was far behind if at all. He was seen so much with the 1s in camp it appeared as if he might be the starter. I feel ok about Petry. I also don’t know how the Purdue DE is on that side. Haven’t looked at it.

I agree this is the LaQuint swing pass coming out party. And if they pull someone out of the box to cover that we can take advantage of that to.

Last edited:
The right side of the line is going to 2nd unit guys. They need to not get Tisdalled. SU is going to have to give help in pass protection, keep the TE and/or Allen in.

Or is this exactly what Purdue is expecting? ;)

Wohl got the start but I don’t think Petry was far behind if at all. He was seen so much with the 1s in camp it appeared as if he might be the starter. I feel ok about Petry. I also don’t know how the Purdue DE is on that side. Haven’t looked at it.

I agree this is the LaQuint swing pass coming out party. And if they pull someone out of the box to cover that we can take advantage of that to.
This.

Mang is a great story but his blocking is subpar.

I've seen too many run plays blown up because he struggled at the point of attack.

Agree 100% about Petry.

What a godsend that he's emerged as a guy the coaching staff trust to play, given what's occurred on the OL. This is a player who -- prior to preseason camp -- most probably did not expect to crack the two-deep, let alone be a guy who might garner significant PT.

Then, we learned that he'd added about 15 pounds of good weight, up from the 277 pounds he'd played at last year. And then we learned that the coaching staff was indicating that over the off-season, a light bulb went off for Petry, and now he not only was producing at a much higher level in practice, but that he was someone who was squarely in the rotation. Given how things have unfolded, this development is akin to pennies from heaven -- and a much needed infusion of depth on what is already a somewhat depleted OL.

Have a feeling he's going to do fine this Saturday.

Last edited:
Villari is an elite athlete that just hasn’t broken out yet. Maybe his time is now.

I think the ceiling for Villari if he puts it all together is much higher than Mang.
I don't disagree, but Mang's got Villari on snap count by a mile, and hopefully that experience counts for something.

Purdue is built to stop the run. Very big across the front 4.
Their secondary is stout but not tall. They will be hard to run on.
The Purdue fan said the secondary was pretty rough, should be a good place to attack

The Purdue fan said the secondary was pretty rough, should be a good place to attack
They are very good up the middle. Middle LB is 250
All four down Lineman 280 to 300.
Safeties in the 200 range.
Typical midwest team built to stop the run. I have to believe we have superior speed.
Play field position and lean on our D. We can win a D battle. Not a game to take chances. I hope coach Lud has had a serious talk with our PR. Kid needs to not take any chances. If its even close fair catch or dont touch it.
Play clean, win field position and we win walking away.

Whether he's available could be a huge boost in the arm, in terms of depth, whether he starts or not.
That would be great. Obviously if he made the trip to Purdue that's an excellent sign.

Brian Higgins just mentioned to us in the CuseSportsTalk chat that he's under the assumption that Joe More will be starting tomorrow. Some potential good news.

And if so -- coming at 'cha, kid. Be ready.

Brian Higgins just mentioned to us in the CuseSportsTalk chat that he's under the assumption that Joe More will be starting tomorrow. Some potential good news.
Cool

Conflicting sources but More was noted as close even before this back and forth so perhaps Higgins has updated news that he now will play. Ellis is definitely out.

More is going to need help pass blocking(if he's actually playing).
Going to see a level of player not found playing against Richmond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom