Kinda OT: Are BIG 12 defenses underrated? | Syracusefan.com

Kinda OT: Are BIG 12 defenses underrated?

TheCusian

Living Legend
Are Big 12 defenses underrated?

This is interesting stuff. While I think we can all agree that our defense was pretty bad the last two years, this is a strong indicator that the style of offense we're running will be very good for us.

Thoughts?

Rev,

I think by the silence, everyone agrees with you!!

In Dino I Trust!!

if you face these high tempo offenses you have to make less mistakes and be more sound.. you would think these Ds would be seeing more of these plays in practice and make less of those mistakes but they dont.

Is pass rush the only way to stop these teams ?

Having attended a few of these games live, watched several on TV and seeing Syracuse adopt several similar tactics, I still believe that the pendulum is still shifting to the faster offenses with less huddle time and the defenses simply have not adjusted. Texas Blech started the switch and how have they fared against opposing teams...real ones, not NMState and such. The reality is that the top teams like Oklahoma still have decent D's. Let's not forget that Alabama could just as easily have won the NC as they lost it, it isn't like they were steam rolled by Clemson. Clemson and Alabama both played defense very well, Clemson having played at least three outstanding QBs and potent offenses.

Don't get me wrong, I like the faster play, especially in the DOME! (I still wonder why no one since Coach Mac wanted speed on the Dome field until HC Babers) Anyway, I am pleased with the new offense and I believe that the Defense will be solid when all the dust settles. Yes, other teams will score, but I would not be surprised if the Defense has several highlights of their own, not this year, but in the next two or three years, we see the better athletes and smarter kids coming through a system that teaches kids to think and react, we will see a benefit.

Just my take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom