Kinda OT: Highlight of the day for me | Syracusefan.com

Kinda OT: Highlight of the day for me

jekelish

Living Legend
(So far anyway)

So I ran home to check the mail and discovered an unexpected package from my aunt and uncle in Baldwinsville, and upon opening it found a nice note saying they had attended the Hardwood Dinner and sat with Rakeem (who they say is the nicest kid they have sat with, and they have been going to this dinner for years and sat with AO a few years ago, so that's saying something).

Along with that, they sent me a copy of the book Etan Thomas recently wrote on fatherhood (as I'm the dad of a soon to be 2 year old), signed by Etan (or as I like to call him, the artist formerly known as Dedrick) himself.

What a great way to start the week.

(So far anyway)

So I ran home to check the mail and discovered an unexpected package from my aunt and uncle in Baldwinsville, and upon opening it found a nice note saying they had attended the Hardwood Dinner and sat with Rakeem (who they say is the nicest kid they have sat with, and they have been going to this dinner for years and sat with AO a few years ago, so that's saying something).

Along with that, they sent me a copy of the book Etan Thomas recently wrote on fatherhood (as I'm the dad of a soon to be 2 year old), signed by Etan (or as I like to call him, the artist formerly known as Dedrick) himself.

What a great way to start the week.

I would have bought his book on fatherhood as well, but I was afraid he would accuse me of being a racist at some point during the transaction at Barnes and Noble.

I KID>..I KID...I love Etan...especially how he used to have a veritable seizure after every blocked shot during his freshman year

I would have bought his book on fatherhood as well, but I was afraid he would accuse me of being a racist at some point during the transaction at Barnes and Noble.
not good

not good

Its sort of a joke...but not really..but kind of...more hyperbole. sort of like how they used to say that Sharpton would protest if an ump called out Starwberry sliding into home plate.

at any rate, its a solid hijack. but he did get good swag.

Never saw a Hardwo recap on here, but I heard that Etan's speech was the best in recent memory.

not good

Not sure if you follow much of Etan... but its easy to know where STEVEHOLT is coming from.

Its a sensitive situation that Etan sometimes seems to take advatage of.

Etan spoke at an SU function? I don't follow his comings and goings much but I thought one of his recent screeds was that Syracuse had exploited and physically ruined his girlfriend in the pursuit of a few wins. Or something. I can't really remember the details, but it certainly didn't sound like he'd be showing up a SU AD events any time soon.

I was there, and I thought his speech was rambling at best. Sean Kerrins last year gave a wonderful speech. Etan got his award and just went off the cuff trying to pep up the team. He then went into how proud he was of JB to speak his mind on gun control, which I didn't think it was the time or place. Some of us in the crowd actually believe more idiot control would make a lot more sense. Only half the people clapped. Then he proceeded to go into how syracuse should not be placed with Penn State in regards to children's rights, and again it got awkward. Like why is he going there?
The line of the night came from triche, who said in his thanks "Coach Fine for always staying in TOUCH with me during recruiting."
Obviously he was being serious, but it can't be said without your brain taking you down that road!

Etan spoke at an SU function? I don't follow his comings and goings much but I thought one of his recent screeds was that Syracuse had exploited and physically ruined his girlfriend in the pursuit of a few wins. Or something. I can't really remember the details, but it certainly didn't sound like he'd be showing up a SU AD events any time soon.

Never read that piece, but I assume it was more of a Mariana Freeman/big college athletics critique than a criticism of the school or current athletic department administration. He's still a big SU fan.

The best speech by far at this years hardwood club dinner was given by George Alexander. He is the student manager who wears the bow ties and dances in the center of the teams pre-game huddle. He is going to do well in life.

Totally agree. Best line: " I was here for 114 of those 900, so... You're welcome"! By the head manager? Forgot his name. But the student managers did do a great job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom