Kirkland commits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kirkland commits

probably right about the week that K State became #1 this season

I like it.
Kstate has ZERO academic standards. Absolutely none...which allows them to get really good athletes...you wont find a student athlete on that team however

While part of me agrees, another part of me then asks "is our current roster and depth that poor that we can't compete in the ACC?"
This team woud have finished no lower than 3rd in the ACC this year.

This team woud have finished no lower than 3rd in the ACC this year.

right, I agree, but do the JUCO's signal to us that we have major issues going into next season? Someone posted that Marrone has stated previously he only brings in JUCOs if he believes they will start. So, that begs the question about our current depth and next years team. Interstingly, though, doesn't look like he has a JUCO QB on the radar, so he must be confident in what we have and who's coming in.

I dont see jucos as being a bad thing ever really. Look at what goggins, marcus pierce brewster..etc have done for us. Marrone knows what he wants and if he sees a kid who can play right away he will do it even if the kid only has 1 year left in him. I like the experience and maturity jucos bring to the table.

right, I agree, but do the JUCO's signal to us that we have major issues going into next season? Someone posted that Marrone has stated previously he only brings in JUCOs if he believes they will start. So, that begs the question about our current depth and next years team. Interstingly, though, doesn't look like he has a JUCO QB on the radar, so he must be confident in what we have and who's coming in.

Bringing in this many means not all will start...he obviously wants to upgrade the '13 and '14 teams.

right, I agree, but do the JUCO's signal to us that we have major issues going into next season? Someone posted that Marrone has stated previously he only brings in JUCOs if he believes they will start. So, that begs the question about our current depth and next years team. ...
Look at some context. We didn't do that well last year, or earlier this year, in landing the HS prospects we wanted at S, OT, LB or DE. Two of our DE commits from last year ended up not qualifying; we were close to LBs (2012 class) but whiffed.
Yes, we have a lot of needs -- and still have needs at MLB, SS, and OT.
So JUCO recruiting (last season and now) is a make-up effort. It isn't ideal -- in the areas where we are recruiting Jucos (Arizona & California), the big guys (Arizona, Arizona St, USC, UCLA) filled their classes with star prospects; in our region, our rivals did much better in landing HS prospects. But it could turn out fine through this late effort.

Do people think Doug shoulda done this from the beginning to get the momentum going faster?

Huh? They have gone and gotten Juco's from day one.

While we are most likely going to miss on our biggest target in Ogundeko, the decision to actively recruit JUCO's has a lot more to do with the increased competition in the ACC. In order to keep up the momentum the program has, we need kids that can step up and contribute immediately.
Doug has been heading down this path from day one. Building connections in the Juco ranks and realizing that a blend of HS and Juco talent is the way for us to be competative. We will never become a Kstate but i do see us always taking between 3-5 Jucos a year going forward.

Doug has been heading down this path from day one. Building connections in the Juco ranks and realizing that a blend of HS and Juco talent is the way for us to be competative. We will never become a Kstate but i do see us always taking between 3-5 Jucos a year going forward.
Yes -- in the first couple of years, it seemed to be necessary to fill the ranks after a flock of departures. By year 5, might have expected to have better success in recruiting Pennsylvania, Ohio and NJ, but it hasn't turned out that way. Our immediate region doesn't produce a lot of prospects; downstate and Florida have helped, but not in big numbers. Who expected that Juco recruiting in Arizona & California would actually fill our recruiting gaps?

As someone else pointed out what Marrone is doing is taking the necessary steps to ensure this is still a good recruiting class and that the team fills the holes it has going into next year and beyond. Its not a state secret that we missed out on some of the top guys on our board and that the slow start really hurt us for the first couple months of the fall. The strong finish and bowl game is allowing us to get some pretty good JUCOs which is the way to go as your playing an up hill game trying to flip guys you lost out on and theres no guarantee you can flip them or that they stay committed even if you do. I suspect some of these JUCOs will be redshirted, a lot of them have 3 to play 2, would be nice to grab a couple secondary guys and redshirt them so we have two years starting in 2014.

While part of me agrees, another part of me then asks "is our current roster and depth that poor that we can't compete in the ACC?"

If you look at the roster and see what JUCO's we're recruiting it's obvious that depth and possibly quality are issues at these positions. Outside of OL it's all defensive kids where there are some BIG needs. Secondary and LB.

We go into spring ball with 4 safeties - 1 of which is a senior and who did not play well this year. Some speculation the 4th safety (freshman) might transfer.

We go into spring ball with 6 cornerbacks and 2 of them are seniors, 1 jr, 2 sophs, 1 rf.

We're recruiting at least 3 JUCO secondary players, landed S Kelly (5-11 200) and putting in big effort for CB Cleshawn Page (5-10 190) . And seemingly making an effort to land HS safety DJ Singleton of NJ.

Linebackers:

We go into spring ball with 6 linebackers. 2 seniors, 2 jrs, a soph and rf. Quality might also be an issue here as well as depth and lacking a true MIKE.

Landed JUCO Kirkland (OLB 6-3 210) enters in spring. Pushing hard for JUCO MLB Luke Arciniega (6-3 230). Lost out on JUCO MLB Joe Walker to Oregon. Might also be recruiting JUCO MLB Devante Bond (6-3 230)

We landed a JUCO DE in Trevon Trejo which is another issue with depth (and quality at the position). We head into spring with 5 kids. Lost Sharpe to graduation and Hillard won't make it. MPB is a senior, Robinson and Welsh will be juniors. Simmons a soph, Manley a RF.

Offensive Line - I think we're ok here but you can never have enough. Landed one JUCO C/G Miller 6-4 300 and looking for a couple of more.

IMHO, the reason for some of this mess is kids who flip flopped and kids who didn't pan out. We had last minute flippers CB Glashen, LB Owens, LB Whitehurst (these 3 hurt because it was too late in the cycle to replace them.) We had S Mungwa quite. LBs EJ Carter and Malcolm Cater bomb. DE Max Bealieu not pan out. OL Curtis injury, OL Pugh leave early etc. If DFord transfers we'll have lost 2 prized safety recruits in 2 years. I'm probably forgetting some others.

If you look at the roster and see what JUCO's we're recruiting it's obvious that depth and possibly quality are issues at these positions. Outside of OL it's all defensive kids where there are some BIG needs. Secondary and LB.

We go into spring ball with 4 safeties - 1 of which is a senior and who did not play well this year. Some speculation the 4th safety (freshman) might transfer.

We go into spring ball with 6 cornerbacks and 2 of them are seniors, 1 jr, 2 sophs, 1 rf.

We're recruiting at least 3 JUCO secondary players, landed S Kelly (5-11 200) and putting in big effort for CB Cleshawn Page (5-10 190) . And seemingly making an effort to land HS safety DJ Singleton of NJ.

Linebackers:

We go into spring ball with 6 linebackers. 2 seniors, 2 jrs, a soph and rf. Quality might also be an issue here as well as depth and lacking a true MIKE.

Landed JUCO Kirkland (OLB 6-3 210) enters in spring. Pushing hard for JUCO MLB Luke Arciniega (6-3 230). Lost out on JUCO MLB Joe Walker to Oregon. Might also be recruiting JUCO MLB Devante Bond (6-3 230)

We landed a JUCO DE in Trevon Trejo which is another issue with depth (and quality at the position). We head into spring with 5 kids. Lost Sharpe to graduation and Hillard won't make it. MPB is a senior, Robinson and Welsh will be juniors. Simmons a soph, Manley a RF.

Offensive Line - I think we're ok here but you can never have enough. Landed one JUCO C/G Miller 6-4 300 and looking for a couple of more.

IMHO, the reason for some of this mess is kids who flip flopped and kids who didn't pan out. We had last minute flippers CB Glashen, LB Owens, LB Whitehurst (these 3 hurt because it was too late in the cycle to replace them.) We had S Mungwa quite. LBs EJ Carter and Malcolm Cater bomb. DE Max Bealieu not pan out. OL Curtis injury, OL Pugh leave early etc. If DFord transfers we'll have lost 2 prized safety recruits in 2 years. I'm probably forgetting some others.
Who might transfer?

Really wish Whitehurst didn't flip. Wonder if he isn't second guessing his decision now. Same for Malcolm Carters stupid decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom