Krautman Career Over (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Krautman Career Over (PS)

CuseLegacy

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...er_is_over_because_of_chronic_hip_injury.html

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse kicker Ross Krautman has decided to end his career because of a chronic hip injury that he's been battling the last few years.
Head coach Scott Shafer announced the decision on Saturday afternoon. It was one of two roster announcements made. Freshman quarterback Alin Edouard has been temporarily excused from the team so he can travel to Florida for family reasons. No time frame was given for Edouard's return.
Shafer said the decision on Krautman was made "a short while back" and that Krautman was "crushed."
"It breaks my heart," Shafer said. "The kid was beside himself. But he'll do well with that SU degree."
2014 Syracuse Football Media DaySyracuse head coach Scott Shafer and player and assistant coaches met with the media Saturday, Aug 2, 2014, for the first time before they start their practice sessions later that day.
Krautman's return to the field had been anticipated since he received a medical waiver for a fifth season. He underwent hip surgery last year and missed the final 11 games of the 2013 season.
"We were really hopeful he was going to make it back," Shafer said. "It's continued to be a bother to him. He's had a lot of pain with it.
"Ross is a great kid, one of my favorite kids on the team, and I really appreciate the effort he put into his time here at Syracuse and he'll be missed, he really will."
Krautman's absence puts the kicking game in a familiar situation.
Ryan Norton returns after converting 10-of-15 field goals, including 3-for-6 from 40 yards and beyond, last season. But Norton has also run into trouble off the field. He was suspended for one game last season after being charged with resisting arrest and underage possession of alcohol. He also missed the spring game while serving a suspension for a violation of team rules.
Syracuse also has walk-on kickers Alex Hodgkinson and Evan Jakubowski in the program.
"Impact is we lost a good kicker," Shafer said, "so the next guy up better have his (butt) ready."

Feel horrible for Ross. Seems like we only saw what he could healthy for one year. Hopefully Norton is ready to be more mature off the field and more consistent on the field. But if not, going for it on 4th down a little more often in certain situations wouldn't bother me at all.

TexanMark said:
It feels like a kick in the gut to me...I really enjoyed having the Krautman's in the program. Hopefully, Ross can work on his Masters this year and continue to heal. He is a great kid and his future is bright.
Agree with all of that. The Krautman family is wonderful and when healthy, is one of the best kickers in college football.

Best of luck to them in the future...

Feel horrible for Ross. Seems like we only saw what he could healthy for one year. Hopefully Norton is ready to be more mature off the field and more consistent on the field. But if not, going for it on 4th down a little more often in certain situations wouldn't bother me at all.

Terrible for Ross... I met Alex Hodgekinson (sp?) this Spring... GREAT kid, I'd like to see him get a chance. He's developed a love for the game over the past two years that has trumped all the other sports he grew up with. Great attitude towards life, good kid.

Sorry to hear this about Ross I hate to see a career cut short by injury it is always unfair to the heart which is truly still in the game. When I went down to injury for my senior season I found a lot of joy in coaching younger players which our staff gave me latitude to do. Their success helped the hardest part of healing. He seems like a great guy to be a future kicking/specials GA and maybe keep the crew in line. Ross best of luck in your future endeavors wherever they take you, an SU degree will serve you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom