Kudos to Gross | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to Gross

Gross was told he had to hire GRob? I think somebody got their signals mixed. That was Marrone.

Am I wrong here? Gross was hired Dec. '04 and Greg was hired Jan. '05 It was Gross that hire GRob
Guess I'm not sure what you're getting at with Marrone. Gross had no choice in the Marrone hire? I never asked about that and I was never told. Maybe it's just been a long day here, who knows. Feel free to fill me in.

Am I wrong here? Gross was hired Dec. '04 and Greg was hired Jan. '05 It was Gross that hire GRob
Guess I'm not sure what you're getting at with Marrone. Gross had no choice in the Marrone hire? I never asked about that and I was never told. Maybe it's just been a long day here, who knows. Feel free to fill me in.
You are a bit mixed up. Here is the deal. TGD was told to fire P. He hired G-Rob. It was his choice. No one forced him to. He did such a terrible job that when G-Rob was fired, TGD was told to hire Marrone.

For as much hate as this guy has received, I believe he deserves a ton of credit for what he was able to accomplish during his tenure.

TGD brought us the first round of Dome renovations.

TGD brought us upgrades to the Olympic sports that are now sprouting fruit.

TGD drove funding for the Indoor Practice Facility

TGD converted Manley

And while some say the ACC move would've happened with or without TGD, that would be selling his involvement short.

Granted, he was never able to deliver for Football, but TGD deserves much credit for where we are today.

Agree.

Gross did a lot of good and needed to as the University had gotten ultra conservative and behind the times. With any good, comes the bad/questionable. We'll be likely micros coping Coyle in a few years on the good/bad too.

ArchDuke said:
Am I wrong here? Gross was hired Dec. '04 and Greg was hired Jan. '05 It was Gross that hire GRob Guess I'm not sure what you're getting at with Marrone. Gross had no choice in the Marrone hire? I never asked about that and I was never told. Maybe it's just been a long day here, who knows. Feel free to fill me in.

First, nobody told Gross he had to hire GRob. Someone was either confused or lying. Second, I know you didn't mention Marrone but Gross was basically told he had to hire him.

First, nobody told Gross he had to hire GRob.

True.

But he did not go into the job wanting to fire Pasqualoni at the time it was done either.

MadNY3 said:
True. But he did not go into the job wanting to fire Pasqualoni at the time it was done either.

No he didn't.

sutomcat said:
Most Olympic sports improved to some degree but it is pretty easy to win in those sports when you spend a ton of money other schools don't. Those programs were also helped by playing in the ACC, which is much better in these sports than the Big East was.

I think he will go down in history as one of the worst ADs in Syracuse history.

Field hockey, women's lacrosse, cross country and men's soccer starting getting good when we were in the Big East. Field hockey and women's lax were ok but not great before he got to SU, but the other two were a joke. And now volleyball is starting to be good.

He built our Olympic sports when Jake let horrible coaches keep coaching with no expectations.

He was a massive failure at trying to turn the football program around, which was easily his most important task. Every person he wanted to hire was a bad choice and the only good move he made, hiring Doug Marrone, was imposed on him.

He did a horrible job overseeing the basketball program, which opened the door to NCAA violations, and his meetings to try and get around NCAA rules so Fab Melo could play were the biggest reason we ended up on probation.

He was awful at fund raising.

Most Olympic sports improved to some degree but it is pretty easy to win in those sports when you spend a ton of money other schools don't. Those programs were also helped by playing in the ACC, which is much better in these sports than the Big East was.

Great post, Tom--I agree 100%.

TGD did some good things [to the OPs point], but in the main the negative significantly outweighed the positive.

He was a massive failure at trying to turn the football program around, which was easily his most important task. Every person he wanted to hire was a bad choice and the only good move he made, hiring Doug Marrone, was imposed on him.

He did a horrible job overseeing the basketball program, which opened the door to NCAA violations, and his meetings to try and get around NCAA rules so Fab Melo could play were the biggest reason we ended up on probation.

He was awful at fund raising.

Wow. As usual Tom, spot on.

Zero need to praise Gross. Shocked he made it as long as he did.

Coyle is A+ so far in my book.

First, nobody told Gross he had to hire GRob. Someone was either confused or lying. Second, I know you didn't mention Marrone but Gross was basically told he had to hire him.

Could be, all I know is what I was told by someone directly related to TGD. He could have been confused I guess with GRob and Marrone, but he had no reason to lie to me fwiw. I would assume by your absolute portrayal of events that you have first hand knowledge. That backed with the fact that I really don't care or have any kind of vested interest in how it played out, I won't push the subject. Just sharing what I was told by someone who would (or should) have known.

Gross even has said he had grob and bo peline as possible hires. Chose grob and te rest is history.

NKR1978 said:
Field hockey, women's lacrosse, cross country and men's soccer starting getting good when we were in the Big East. Field hockey and women's lax were ok but not great before he got to SU, but the other two were a joke. And now volleyball is starting to be good. He built our Olympic sports when Jake let horrible coaches keep coaching with no expectations.

Agreed. If Gross has any legacy at SU it's in making our non-revenue sports highly competitive. If people want to complain about the salaries that's fine but there's no debating that Olympic sports were largely a joke under Jake and are now a strength.

Doesn't Gait's salary mostly come from endorsements? Kinda like Shafer's salary was mostly paid for by a third party endorser

Agreed. If Gross has any legacy at SU it's in making our non-revenue sports highly competitive. If people want to complain about the salaries that's fine but there's no debating that Olympic sports were largely a joke under Jake and are now a strength.

Also Gross got the job done when the ACC came calling the 2nd time around.

That's akin to going out for seafood and saying "well that restaurant had great coleslaw"

He was a failure. Plus Jake ran an AD office that had superb Olympic sports. Our wrestling and swimming teams were very good. I recall field hockey top 25 too.

That's akin to going out for seafood and saying "well that restaurant had great coleslaw"

He was a failure. Plus Jake ran an AD office that had superb Olympic sports. Our wrestling and swimming teams were very good. I recall field hockey top 25 too.
Jake did well, until he didn't, including letting our facilities go into the crapper. Remember Jake saying we can't replace the turf with something we can't roll up because of the bball court.
TGD said BS, find a way to get it done.

Aren't we number one in the directors cup rankings now? Don't think that happens without tgd.

And wrt gerg...I think we were all pretty excited about the hire at the time.

Certainty not all.

elimunelson said:

Pretty good in swimming, wrestling and maybe top 25 in field hockey isn't quite the same as multiple final fours in sports we were terrible in along with actual national championships thanks to the work he put in to build our other programs.

Jake let Marianna Freeman coach forever in spite of the fact that she was awful. How many other terrible coaches with no support did Jake have for years? Please, name one superb Olympic sport we had under Jake.

There was good and bad with Darryl, but the ton of championship hardware adorning Manley is proof that he was anything but a failure.