Kudos to Gross | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to Gross

44PRIDE

All Conference
For as much hate as this guy has received, I believe he deserves a ton of credit for what he was able to accomplish during his tenure.

TGD brought us the first round of Dome renovations.

TGD brought us upgrades to the Olympic sports that are now sprouting fruit.

TGD drove funding for the Indoor Practice Facility

TGD converted Manley

And while some say the ACC move would've happened with or without TGD, that would be selling his involvement short.

Granted, he was never able to deliver for Football, but TGD deserves much credit for where we are today.

Last edited:
TDG gets a lot of crap for sure but did a ton for Syracuse. He was a used car salesman type but left Cuse in much better shape, other than football, than it was. He spent $'s but you have to spend to get the good coaches.

I think the Manley renovation was a hideous waste of money that doesn't reflect very well on Gross (though it's not all his fault), but good post. He did a ton of good things here that he won't get enough credit for.

Main thing I will give the majority of credit to TGD is for how the sports outside of football, men's bb, and men's lax have developed.

He also gets a major part of the blame for what's happened in football as well.

Men's bb and men's lax just keep rolling along, business as usual.

Cheers,
Neil

And the Mens Soccer Team just booked a ticket to Kansas City for the Final Four (our first) on Friday!
Was at the game, the ref seemed like he was doing everything he could to hand the game to BC. Cuse though played a great game dominated possession, excellent win!

That wasn't his decision if he wanted to be the AD here.
Come on. Do you think he would have been fired a few months in. He tried to give the fans pp head and it backfired with grob. He also greatly overpayed Olympic sport coaches which took always money from football. If you knew about a tenth of his spending I promise people wouldn't be giving him and good will.

Maybe it was just dumb luck but to win national championships in X-C and field hockey and go to the F4 in men's soccer in the same year is fairly impressive. Somebody's gotta get some credit for it as that kind of success is unprecedented at SU.

Come on. Do you think he would have been fired a few months in. He tried to give the fans pp head and it backfired with grob. He also greatly overpayed Olympic sport coaches which took always money from football. If you knew about a tenth of his spending I promise people wouldn't be giving him and good will.

Take it for what it's worth but I was told this by a family member of his. No reason to lie to me about it, but I guess I have no way to verify it wasn't a lie. But I trust them so it's what I'll choose to believe. You may have a inside source that says otherwise and that's fair enough.

Aren't we number one in the directors cup rankings now? Don't think that happens without tgd.

And wrt gerg...I think we were all pretty excited about the hire at the time.
Speak for yourself about the gerg hire. Absolutely horrible hire that set the football program back 10 years.Hate to say it but Shafer was a fail too...Hell Coyle will be spending multiple years cleaning up the mess Gross left behind.

Speak for yourself about the gerg hire. Absolutely horrible hire that set the football program back 10 years.Hate to say it but Shafer was a fail too...Hell Coyle will be spending multiple years cleaning up the mess Gross left behind.

None of what you said I'm disputing...nor is it debatable.

But it's also indisputable that this boardmwasmsolidly behind Gerg when he was hired...and there was a solid team Gerg contingent even in year three.

ArchDuke said:
That wasn't his decision if he wanted to be the AD here.

Not understanding.

Aren't we number one in the directors cup rankings now? Don't think that happens without tgd.
The guy earned the incentives in his contract.If football was a priority to the school,maybe they should have been dependent on football?He did what was asked of him,IMO.

44PRIDE said:
For as much hate as this guy has received, I believe he deserves a ton of credit for what he was able to accomplish during his tenure. TGD brought us the first round of Dome renovations. TGD brought us upgrades to the Olympic sports that are now sprouting fruit. TGD drove funding for the Indoor Practice Facility TGD converted Manley And while some say the ACC move would've happened with or without TGD, that would be selling his involvement short. Granted, he was never able to deliver for Football, but TGD deserves much credit for where we are today.

He was a massive failure at trying to turn the football program around, which was easily his most important task. Every person he wanted to hire was a bad choice and the only good move he made, hiring Doug Marrone, was imposed on him.

He did a horrible job overseeing the basketball program, which opened the door to NCAA violations, and his meetings to try and get around NCAA rules so Fab Melo could play were the biggest reason we ended up on probation.

He was awful at fund raising.

Most Olympic sports improved to some degree but it is pretty easy to win in those sports when you spend a ton of money other schools don't. Those programs were also helped by playing in the ACC, which is much better in these sports than the Big East was.

I think he will go down in history as one of the worst ADs in Syracuse history.

He was a massive failure at trying to turn the football program around, which was easily his most important task. Every person he wanted to hire was a bad choice and the only good move he made, hiring Doug Marrone, was imposed on him.

He did a horrible job overseeing the basketball program, which opened the door to NCAA violations, and his meetings to try and get around NCAA rules so Fab Melo could play were the biggest reason we ended up on probation.

Most Olympic sports improved to some degree but it is pretty easy to win in those sports when you spend a ton of money other schools don't. Those programs were also helped by playing in the ACC, which is much better in these sports than the Big East was.

Tom drops the mic and walks out...

Tomcat drops the...
image.jpeg

Plus, there were also Olympic sports failures--Jensen as tennis coach, the terminating of the swimming and diving program. And the amount paid to Gary Gait certainly raised eyebrows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom