Kyrie asks for a trade | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kyrie asks for a trade

Think there is a 0.0% chance that Melo is the centerpiece of a deal for Kyrie. The age/ability gap is tremendous at this point and he can be shipped anywhere. Boston could definitely put the best package together but can't see those 2 making a trade with each other as the 2 best teams in the east. Could see him being sent to Phoenix for Bledsoe as he is a Klutch Sports guy. Phoenix can add Chandler and Chriss while taking back salary filler like Shumpert/Frye. Seems like that is about the best the Cavs could do to not lose too much this year and add a young lotto ticket.

The ability gap between Kyrie and Melo is "tremendous"? How? Melo still gets buckets too...which is basically the only thing Kyrie is good at.

Why is this surprising? Kyrie has always had issues with teammates getting more shine than him. Just look at the situation when Dion was drafted. It was only a matter of time before he thought he is bigger than Lebron. Would love to see Melo for Kyrie happen. Irving is perfect for the Knicks.

Kyrie wants to be a big fish in a small pond apparently.

Hardaway and the useless frenchie #1 for Kyrie.

Melo stays.

Kyrie
Lee
Melo
KP
Wily

That's a 3-6 seed in the East and worthy of losing to either clev or beantown in the semis.

I'll take it.

Hardaway and the useless frenchie #1 for Kyrie.

Melo stays.

Kyrie
Lee
Melo
KP
Wily

That's a 3-6 seed in the East and worthy of losing to either clev or beantown in the semis.

I'll take it.

The NBA will deny your deal.

Players signed as free agent can't be traded as December 15th. Also, not sure if the Knicks have signed the first rounder yet... if they have he can't be traded until December either.

Last edited:
The NBA will deny your deal.

Players signed as free agent can't be traded as December 15th. Also, not sure if the Knicks have signed the first rounder yet... if they have he can't be traded until December either.
We are going to use the little known 'Knicks amnesty' clause.

Which allows the new regime to act outside the normal rules based on the complete incompetence of the prior regime...also whom may have actually been a Laker Spy, sent to ruin the franchise forever.

The ability gap between Kyrie and Melo is "tremendous"? How? Melo still gets buckets too...which is basically the only thing Kyrie is good at.

It's funny how much Kyrie is overrated. There's people that think he is better than Steph. It's because of one shot he hit to win the finals and games 3 and 4 of the finals where he hit every ridiculous shot known to man.

It's funny how much Kyrie is overrated. There's people that think he is better than Steph. It's because of one shot he hit to win the finals and games 3 and 4 of the finals where he hit every ridiculous shot known to man.

Yup. He's a great scoring talent that makes highlight reel moves and shots. He's fun to watch and can do things many others can't. Great handles, great crossover and off the dribble moves, quick, good shooter, great and creative finisher around the rim.

Not really a good passer, shot selection gets nuts, weak defender, injury history.

Yeah, he put on a show on the big stage a few times. Melo has been toiling away on a bad team. I guess that creates the difference in perception. Melo is still a 22 ppg, 6-8 boards, 3-4 assist guy with maybe the best mid range game in the league, a good 3 point shooter, and a capable inside scorer. And he'd get the best looks he's gotten in close to a decade, playing with Lebron...something Kyrie currently benefits from.

Yup. He's a great scoring talent that makes highlight reel moves and shots. He's fun to watch and can do things many others can't. Great handles, great crossover and off the dribble moves, quick, good shooter, great and creative finisher around the rim.

Not really a good passer, shot selection gets nuts, weak defender, injury history.

Yeah, he put on a show on the big stage a few times. Melo has been toiling away on a bad team. I guess that creates the difference in perception. Melo is still a 22 ppg, 6-8 boards, 3-4 assist guy with maybe the best mid range game in the league, a good 3 point shooter, and a capable inside scorer. And he'd get the best looks he's gotten in close to a decade, playing with Lebron...something Kyrie currently benefits from.

I made the point before, but I'll say it again, when Kyrie is going good he looks like the best player on the planet, so he's going to get overrated.

That said, he's a better player than Melo now. Kyrie is a legitimate outstanding offensive player. Last year, he played 632 minutes without Lebron on the court. he had a usage rate of 41.8, which is just ridiculous, and a true shooting of 58.3%, and scored nearly a point per minute. (630 points in 632 minutes) Melo has never once had a true shooting % in a season of 58%.

If you take it to the last 3 seasons, Kyrie has played 2,232 minutes without Lebron on the court, has a usage 33.3, and a true shooting of 57%. over the last 3 seasons, 5 players have combined a usage of 30% and a true shooting over 55%; Steph, Harden, Lebron, Anthony Davis, and..Isaiah Thomas.

I don't have much interest in the Knicks getting Kyrie, but he's really good on one end of the floor.

I made the point before, but I'll say it again, when Kyrie is going good he looks like the best player on the planet, so he's going to get overrated.

That said, he's a better player than Melo now. Kyrie is a legitimate outstanding offensive player. Last year, he played 632 minutes without Lebron on the court. he had a usage rate of 41.8, which is just ridiculous, and a true shooting of 58.3%, and scored nearly a point per minute. (630 points in 632 minutes) Melo has never once had a true shooting % in a season of 58%.

If you take it to the last 3 seasons, Kyrie has played 2,232 minutes without Lebron on the court, has a usage 33.3, and a true shooting of 57%. over the last 3 seasons, 5 players have combined a usage of 30% and a true shooting over 55%; Steph, Harden, Lebron, Anthony Davis, and..Isaiah Thomas.

I don't have much interest in the Knicks getting Kyrie, but he's really good on one end of the floor.
so CBS Sportsline and a smorgasbord of sites ares now saying Kyrie wants the Knicks.

the fact that someone, anyone...wants the Knicks is a little confounding, but lets play along here.

why would we not want him??

Kyrie and KP could do some damage...

don't know how they can pull it off though...

Last edited:
so CBS Sportsline and a smorgasbord of sites ares now saying Kyrie wants the Knicks.

the fact that someone, anyone...wants the Knicks is a little confounding, but lets play along here.

I just think it would take a lot to get him, the Knicks aren't close to a title, and they're better off bottoming out and building through the draft.

I was thinking Kyrie was just pullin' peoples' chains and laughing to himself when he presented his "flat earth theory" on Richard Jefferson and Channing Fryes' podcast.

Now, I'm wondering if he has a clue.

Last edited:
I was thinking Kyrie was just pullin' peoples' chains and laughing to himself when he presented his "flat earth theory" on Richard Jefferson and Channing Fryes' podcast.

He's a jersey kid. That's all i can come up with.

That said, I guess I could see it? I dunno, he's got his ring, he wants to have a team for his own, he (probably?) grew up a Knicks fan, he figures him and KP can be a 1-2 punch for the next 5-7 years.

I think it's because New York is relatively close to Cleveland and therefore he is less likely to fall off the edge of the earth on his way there.

An all star in his prime that wants to go there? Sure, I say go for it. He'll sell jerseys and put butts in the seats. He and KP could be the foundation for playoff teams, provided they don't screw everything else up.

I think it's because New York is relatively close to Cleveland and therefore he is less likely to fall off the edge of the earth on his way there.

If he really believes the world is flat then I question his basic ability to read a map as well.

OK - as a Knick fan - how much should or would we give up to get Kyrie and not kill the future.

1. A package centered around Melo - I would give up Melo, Frank N (don't really need him w Kyrie on-board), and another decent non-critical piece - maybe Lee or O'Quinn. Take back some salary from whoever Cleveland wants to dump as long as it isn't long term. No draft picks in this deal. Supposedly Melo won't go cause everybody knows Lebron is gone after this season. Melo & LeBron have wanted to play together for a very long time. If Melo went to Cleveland & things went well, who is to say that LeBron would definitely be outta there ?

2. Without including Melo it is hard to see any package that might be appealing to Cleveland and also that does not totally mortgage the future. You only risk mortgaging the future if you are one piece from a title, not one piece from playoff contention.

I am OK getting Kyrie at the right price, but I am sick & tired of Knicks over-paying & mortgaging the future. If we don't get Kyrie, I am OK with that.