Laray Smith | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Laray Smith

Very odd, Garica usually has good info. Would be suprised to hear he was wrong about the kid visiting and the post visit rumblings.

Garcia hasn't spoken with him during/post visit, as well as some non-specific facebook posts, none of which mention Syracuse. .Thats why he was speculating on how the visit went...

BUT it doesn't sound like Laray visited this weekend...

LOL - for a team that desperately needs playmakers - they'd better not be trying to recruit this kid as a freakin safety

Straight line track speed doesn't always equal "playmaker". I wouldn't really call Dorian Graham a playmaker, and he was one of the fastest if not the fastest timed player in the BE last year.

We often confuse explosive with speed, when in fact they are two different things. Mike Williams was explosive, but not really the fastest player on the field. Same goes for Delone Carter recently. We have had plenty of kids with track speed who frankly were not up to par.

That's also not to say that a FS cant be a playmaking position as well. Look at what guys like Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nate Allen, etc have done on the collegiate and NFL level. Having a FS that can cover a lot of ground and make plays allows your defense to do a lot of different things. It make your blitz better, allows more looks, allows the cb's to gamble a bit more, etc.

Straight line track speed doesn't always equal "playmaker". I wouldn't really call Dorian Graham a playmaker, and he was one of the fastest if not the fastest timed player in the BE last year.

We often confuse explosive with speed, when in fact they are two different things. Mike Williams was explosive, but not really the fastest player on the field. Same goes for Delone Carter recently. We have had plenty of kids with track speed who frankly were not up to par.

That's also not to say that a FS cant be a playmaking position as well. Look at what guys like Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Nate Allen, etc have done on the collegiate and NFL level. Having a FS that can cover a lot of ground and make plays allows your defense to do a lot of different things. It make your blitz better, allows more looks, allows the cb's to gamble a bit more, etc.

Jim Turner, Johnie Morant, even Q to an extent. Flat out burners, but not a much wiggle. Beat you on a go route, but other than that...

I have no inside info on Laray's situation. However, I have been told that the staff has been very straight forward to recruits about where they stand with recruiting, both rank on the board as well as position requirements.

If the rumor of Laray being upset is true, I would venture to guess that he has been informed that there are others in front of him on the board, and that he is not being recruited as a running back - a position he wants to play but is not best suited for here. He will most likely play S or slot receiver.

why are they being so honest? I'm not trying to be snarky or question their ability to recruit but is it necessary to really tell a guy that he's behind a few others on your board? I can see it in certain situations but I'd think you could fairly easily split the difference -- tell the kid you're very interested, see him at X position, lay out all the positives of the school but mildly insinuate that you have to protect yourself and are involved with other recruits at the same position.

Again, I have no idea what they are doing and don't pretend to be criticizing something II don't have intimate knowledge of but I just wonder slightly on the wisdom of being 100% honest and forthright in terms of rank on the board, etc.

Very odd, Garica usually has good info. Would be suprised to hear he was wrong about the kid visiting and the post visit rumblings.
I spoke with Laray Friday night. He said he was visiting Syracuse the next day, this past Saturday. Sunday morning on his Facebook, he posted "so mad, smh" or something like that. He hasn't returned my calls since. He also posted something during the day Saturday that said he was going to watch some his former team or something.

I spoke with Laray Friday night. He said he was visiting Syracuse the next day, this past Saturday. Sunday morning on his Facebook, he posted "so mad, smh" or something like that. He hasn't returned my calls since. He also posted something during the day Saturday that said he was going to watch some his former team or something.

Hmmmm odd to say the least. Hope everything is OK with the kid.

why are they being so honest? I'm not trying to be snarky or question their ability to recruit but is it necessary to really tell a guy that he's behind a few others on your board? I can see it in certain situations but I'd think you could fairly easily split the difference -- tell the kid you're very interested, see him at X position, lay out all the positives of the school but mildly insinuate that you have to protect yourself and are involved with other recruits at the same position.

Again, I have no idea what they are doing and don't pretend to be criticizing something II don't have intimate knowledge of but I just wonder slightly on the wisdom of being 100% honest and forthright in terms of rank on the board, etc.
For everyone we lose for being honest we gain one who sees we have credibility. Its the long play and I like that.

He was listed in an article to compete at the NYC 7 on 7 Saturday, so I was surprised when you said that he was visiting. So maybe he was either watching those team mates or was watching the Olympic track and field qualifications on tv. Sorry that he isn't responding to you.

Because we are going to have a relatively smaller class this year, probably in the high teens. We are only taking one or two at select positions as well. A lot depends on Edwards and Ogundeko. You will see a chain of events shortly after they make their respective decisions.

I have no inside info on Laray's situation. However, I have been told that the staff has been very straight forward to recruits about where they stand with recruiting, both rank on the board as well as position requirements.

If the rumor of Laray being upset is true, I would venture to guess that he has been informed that there are others in front of him on the board, and that he is not being recruited as a running back - a position he wants to play but is not best suited for here. He will most likely play S or slot receiver.

I have been told that Laray really wants to be a running back. Colleges see him as a safety that can cover half the field with his speed. However, there is no tape of him on defense. I think this is why he has had a bizarre recruitment. I have also been told that some question whether he wants to play football or run track at the next level. It is tough for a football coach to recruit a kid who's real love is track and not football.

At the end of the day, the kid reminds me of Jordan Thomas. The only difference is Thomas' high school tape had him playing defense so schools were able to see how his skill set translated to that side of the ball.

I have been told that Laray really wants to be a running back. Colleges see him as a safety that can cover half the field with his speed. However, there is no tape of him on defense. I think this is why he has had a bizarre recruitment. I have also been told that some question whether he wants to play football or run track at the next level. It is tough for a football coach to recruit a kid who's real love is track and not football.

At the end of the day, the kid reminds me of Jordan Thomas. The only difference is Thomas' high school tape had him playing defense so schools were able to see how his skill set translated to that side of the ball.

If I am Laray Smith this is music to my years. Why wouldn't the coaching staff give him a shot a RB, with the understanding that the best player plays and then if that doesn't pan out, he has a spot at S. Isn't this better than if he were to come in, not be the best player at his position and then have no other position to turn too? i.e Adonis Ameen-Moore.

In terms of track, as long as football is priority #1, why wouldn't the staff encourage this? It will only help continue to build his speed. As long as it doesn't adversely affect his weight or focus on football, I think this is also good news.

To me this is a glass half full situation for him. If true, he has found out that there is a backup plan in case he doesn't turn out to be the RB that he think he can be.

Ouch!
Think that is mainly based on over analyzation of his facebook acct. Too much stock being put into a 17 yr old saying he's mad and struggles are motivating him on facebook on the sunday after he visited on fri and sat maybe. Could mean just about anything so can't really get too caught up in that.

It will be good to hear from him though and see how it went.

:bat:

He didn't say anything about post visit rumblings...just that he couldn't get a hold of him and he had said some negative things on facebook (just in general nothing SU related specifically). Purely speculation. As far as not making trip something could have just come up or had travel issues but it is odd that nobody has been able to reach him lately.

I don't why we have to lock him into a position. He is an excellent, explosive athlete. Have him come as an athlete and compete at RB and may the best man win. Whoever doesn't, can be our next Kevin Johnson.

He didn't say anything about post visit rumblings...just that he couldn't get a hold of him and he had said some negative things on facebook (just in general nothing SU related specifically). Purely speculation. As far as not making trip something could have just come up or had travel issues but it is odd that nobody has been able to reach him lately.
Same issue I had

For everyone we lose for being honest we gain one who sees we have credibility. Its the long play and I like that.

To be fair, I wrote "why are we being so honest?" The point being it's one thing to suggest that only have a couple spots and you really like a kid but are waiting for a domino or two to fall before offering. It's another thing all together to bring a kid in and say, "We think you're the fourth best defensive end we're recruiting!" If it's a matter of conditional offers, as CIL indicated, I absolutely think it's the right thing to do. My point was more that the original post seemed to me to suggest they were telling all the recruits exactly where they stood on the big board and I was simply questioning the wisdom in doing that for everyone.

Smith lists Oregon, West Virginia, Tennessee, Syracuse and UConn as his favorites. He'd like to run track and football in college if poss

1:08 PM - 8 Jul 12via Twitter for iPad · Details
10mDylan Butler@Dylan_Butler
Smith's PRs are 10.43 (100), 21.49 (200) and 48.38 (400).

11mDylan Butler@Dylan_Butler
Despite oppressive heat, Xaverian's Laray Smith wins 200 (22.27) and 400 (48.38) at Region I Jr. Olympics qualifiers

1hDylan Butler@Dylan_Butler
With a time of 48.38 Laray Smith wins the 400m

Will be interesting to know how important track is to him.

Interesting angle that he could pull a track scholarship and then play football at Oregon. May have a hard time seeing the field up there, but it sure sounds like that is the target school. My guess is if he doesn't get that Oregon scholarship our chances are fantastic, if he does they may be non existent.

Interesting angle that he could pull a track scholarship and then play football at Oregon. May have a hard time seeing the field up there, but it sure sounds like that is the target school. My guess is if he doesn't get that Oregon scholarship our chances are fantastic, if he does they may be non existent.

Can't play football on a track scholarship. He would have to get a football scholly and walk on to the track team. NCAA rules.

That could be good news then. I have a hard time seeing them extend an offer unless he is a late addition in a position of need, but that is not likely for a team like Oreon that probably over extends on their commitments.

His running style reminds me so much of CJ Spiller (albeit a little taller). Get him in space and watch out.

Oregon is a huge track school. If he gets a football offer there and really likes track too... will be difficult to compete against such an offer from a recruiting standpoint. SU has a good track team but emphasis is on distance runners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom