Larry Fedora losing his mind? | Syracusefan.com

Larry Fedora losing his mind?

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Larry Fedora: “Our game is under attack ... I fear that the game will be pushed so far from what we know that we won’t recognize it 10 years from now. And if it does, our country will go down, too.”</p>&mdash; Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) <a href="">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I mean... I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he&#39;s suggesting that the teamwork/discipline/physical fitness you learn in football translates well? But after that first quote, I just don&#39;t know, man. <a href="Nicole Auerbach on Twitter">Nicole Auerbach on Twitter</a></p>&mdash; .com (@) <a href="">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fedora has doubled down on the decline of football impacting the state of the United States: “I think it would be the decline of our country, yes.”</p>&mdash; Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) <a href="">July 18, 2018</a></blockquote>

Well apparently Fedora's an idiot.

Ball's in your court, trustees of UNC.

Wait, you're telling me that UNC's got a history of rolling over for the athletic department and ignoring its principles? Never mind, carry on.

They should nevermind ,he is correct on a lot of levels not all but lots of them .the game is under total assault from everywhere from concussions . To national anthem stuff to crazy rul changes to lawmakers changing age limits .to the very fabric of the country changing the more people brought in from countries who think football is a round ball it just changes the trajectory of the game it just does . Football is going to change and since it is the current most popularsport in the country with changes to the game will come changes and shifts to people's dollars and opinions of the game. Will it being the country down ? I think that's and exaggeration will it drastically change the country in things like avertisimg . Money and what we spend our weekends on ? I think there is no question it will

So great. I mean so so great. Tell me you wouldn't be disappointed if a ball coach didn't think like this.

Meh. More kids will play soccer and lacrosse. I love soccer more and more each year. The World Cup was awesome. If football fades, other sports will grow.

While I am an absolute die hard SU football fan - I'm fading big time on the NFL.

We were told. by many on this board no less, that from the 2014 World Cup that in 10 year's time Soccer would overtake football. We are going into year 5 of that prediction and it's not close to true yet.

We were told. by many on this board no less, that from the 2014 World Cup that in 10 year's time Soccer would overtake football. We are going into year 5 of that prediction and it's not close to true yet.
Maybe not in Texas - but there's a big shift in other states. I'll give you a thumbnail from here in Arizona - my son is a 5th grader. There are 20 boys in the 5th grade at his school. Exactly 1 plays football. The rest, if they do play sports, play largely soccer and basketball. (Virtually no baseball either by the way.) Football is big time fading out here - even more so in California. And soccer is becoming very popular - certainly much more than hockey (and likely baseball). It's coming - maybe not in the southeast - but it's coming.

The USL is starting to make a push. They are looking to start start installing “portable” mini pitches up in urban areas. Putting them in unused parks and such. They see an opening with the CTE cases.

Which is ironic because of that E60 piece a few years ago on concussions in soccer
Good point. I wonder about CTE's and soccer as well. Maybe it's worse than football re head injuries?

Good point. I wonder about CTE's and soccer as well. Maybe it's worse than football re head injuries?

Football is "under attack" because it is the most watched sport in america. Repeated blows to the head absolutely cause CTE. You will find blows to the head in soccer, football, hockey, maybe basketball, and probably lastly, baseball.

Football is going to be under the microscope the most because there are more eyes on it than any other sport. No other sport glorifies the violence. I think Fedora wants to emphasize that you will see head injuries in every sport, what he is failing to do is recognize that football will cause the most trauma to a head, on average. Just because you don't have a concussion does not mean your brain isn't getting damaged.

Maybe not in Texas - but there's a big shift in other states. I'll give you a thumbnail from here in Arizona - my son is a 5th grader. There are 20 boys in the 5th grade at his school. Exactly 1 plays football. The rest, if they do play sports, play largely soccer and basketball. (Virtually no baseball either by the way.) Football is big time fading out here - even more so in California. And soccer is becoming very popular - certainly much more than hockey (and likely baseball). It's coming - maybe not in the southeast - but it's coming.

It ain't coming in the next 5 years, nor 10. I'm waiting to see similar levels of recruiting coverage, tv programming and merchandising before jumping on the bandwagon.

BTW, if you do a little digging you will find that the NFL's revenues are larger than any league in the world. Not just the US, but the world. Major League soccer is less than a 10th of the NFL and smaller than some of the Association Leagues in Europe and China. Add the revenues of college football and it's now single digits.

*Shrug* I didn't think a single thing he said was incorrect. The only distinction I would make RE: CTE is that it's never been demonstrated that CTE causes any earlier loss of life or loss of cognitive function during life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom