Last Lefty Guard we have had? | Syracusefan.com

Last Lefty Guard we have had?

Cuse4

Scout Team
Thought came to mind when I saw we were involved with Nunn ... Other than Pace and Burgan who were tweeners, I can't think of any lefty guards we have had recently.

Gene Waldron, old school just before Pearl arrived. Still with the 40 pt high game in the Dome.

Stevie Thompson, who came in as a G but played mostly at F [played guard full time his senior year].

Greg Monroe, though that's not recent. He was a solid contributor to the 87 team.

Thought came to mind when I saw we were involved with Nunn ... Other than Pace and Burgan who were tweeners, I can't think of any lefty guards we have had recently.
eric "the real slim shady" devendorf. great left hand.

That's got to be one of the most famous shots ever that didn't count.

He made a half court shot the next night at the halftime buzzer.

Devendorf. Technically a righty, but I've never seen anyone able to use his off hand as well.

let's go to the videotape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-b6mieNgkQ

loved this kid.
He was a punk, but he was OUR punk. And he gave our team its swagger, along with Jonny & Paul. He used to just stare people down on the court, like "I'm gonna kick your ass when we're through." He intimidated the most people I think I can remember for being a guard and not a shot blocker.

He was a punk, but he was OUR punk. And he gave our team its swagger, along with Jonny & Paul. He used to just stare people down on the court, like "I'm gonna kick your ass when we're through." He intimidated the most people I think I can remember for being a guard and not a shot blocker.
that was my favorite thing about him..the looks he would shoot people were classic..plus i was a big fan of every home pre game intro when he was called..and was on the video boards you could easily read his mouth and there were numerous f bombs..there wont be another like him

People tend to overlook just how good he was offensively. If he would've played his senior year, there's a good chance he would've finished as the #2 all time scorer in SU history. He obviously had his flaws, but people used their dislike for the kid to ignore his talent.

I thought Devo didn't use his mid range pull up jumper enough. It was a shot that he could hit regularly but he was so good with that left going to the bucket that he seemed to forget about being able to hit that easy jumper most of the time. Certainly as a scorer from the guard spot Devo was very very good.

I thought Devo didn't use his mid range pull up jumper enough. It was a shot that he could hit regularly but he was so good with that left going to the bucket that he seemed to forget about being able to hit that easy jumper most of the time. Certainly as a scorer from the guard spot Devo was very very good.

That's a good point. He would settle for the drives and would get packed quite often in there. Still, quite a crafty player with an amazing left hand as everyone has pointed out. Watching those freak shots in person at MSG at the BET is something I'll never forget.

Have we forgotten the great James Thues as a lefty guard?

+1 btw for being an ED fan. It was easy to understand why he was a target to be hated by the opposition but he was not a dirty player. One of the better three point shooters this program has ever had (~38% career) who could also get to the tin. I thought his game suffered as a soph when he was forced to play the point, that was never his game, he caught a lot of from some fans that year for a somewhat unfair situation.

Devo was fun to watch! He was a righty that finished best with his left. What hurt his career was that knee injury. Before that he could jump and he was more fearless driving. After that he became more of a jumpshooter. I guess jflynn had alot to do with thay though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom