Last play - court level | Syracusefan.com

Last play - court level

I see the Duke player clearly lose control of the ball before he heaves it in the air; therefore, a good no call on a foul being called!

Thoughts?

He loses control after the collision.

I see the Duke player clearly lose control of the ball before he heaves it in the air; therefore, a good no call on a foul being called!

Thoughts?

Cooney was trying to foul him, and gave him a nice hip check. They had fouls to give, Matt Park calls it a foul, then says astounded "No whistle." It was a foul. So they take it out of bounds with .7 or whatever? Still ain't winning, no matter how bad the call, so K has nothing to b!tch about, and he should get over it.

Cooney was trying to foul him, and gave him a nice hip check. They had fouls to give, Matt Park calls it a foul, then says astounded "No whistle." It was a foul. So they take it out of bounds with .7 or whatever? Still ain't winning, no matter how bad the call, so K has nothing to b!tch about, and he should get over it.
yeah, the foul certainly wasn't on a shot attempt

Plus the clock started very late on the rebound off the missed FT. He rebounded it, pivoted, and took a full dribble and step before the clock started.

Plus the clock started very late on the rebound off the missed FT. He rebounded it, pivoted, and took a full dribble and step before the clock started.

Home cooking for sure, you can't discount how big of a win this is, on the road, against the defending champs, as 12 point road dogs! Just awesome. No one talks about Duke being on the bubble, but compare the records. This one counts for 2 and puts us in the thick of the ACC battle!

He loses control after the collision.

Exactly. He wasn't even the Duke player who shot the ball that hit off the backboard. That was Plumlee I believe. Jones was trying to dribble through Cooney and Richardson and lost the ball which was picked up by Plumlee after time had expired and shot it.

Cheers,
Neil

Home cooking for sure, you can't discount how big of a win this is, on the road, against the defending champs, as 12 point road dogs! Just awesome. No one talks about Duke being on the bubble, but compare the records. This one counts for 2 and puts us in the thick of the ACC battle!

Looks like K isn't used to home cooking that tastes like 5 hour old Golden Corral buffet; he's used to the filet they usually serve up.

Looks like K isn't used to home cooking that tastes like 5 hour old Golden Corral buffet; he's used to the filet they usually serve up.
duke-kid-crying.jpg

yeah, the foul certainly wasn't on a shot attempt

Exactly right. He threw his arms up after he loses the ball and felt the contact trying to pretend he was shooting.

It may have been a foul but way before the shot. And we had one foul to give. The refs just let the game end. That's the way it goes. But give the Duke player an Oscar for the performance after the foul.

Yes, that was a beautiful dive. That would have definitely been pointed out as flop city, if it lead to free throws. Good no call by the refs for good acting. Maybe they felt insulted, and said lets just end it at that.

The clock operator's thought process:

"We lost a 3-pointer at the end of the first half by a tenth of a second. No way I don't give our guys an extra second or two to win this game."

Yes, that was a beautiful dive. That would have definitely been pointed out as flop city, if it lead to free throws. Good no call by the refs for good acting. Maybe they felt insulted, and said lets just end it at that.
I would hope any of our players would have had the sense to try the same thing.
Cooney's foul was before the shot...but a dangerous thing to do...especially at Duke (although last night the refs basically let the players play).

I'm only surprised that no one commented on hearing me scream at my TV when it happened.

Duke has a reputation for flopping. I don't think that we do. I'd rather be we. Flopping is kind of like crying wolf.

I wish they would have just called this as it should have been -- a non shooting foul with about 1 second left on the clock. Then there wouldn't be a story at all, and this would be viewed as a clean win by Syracuse. If you ask people many will say that is a foul, but very few non Duke fans would say it is a shooting foul.

My good friend, who hates Syracuse, send me a text this morning saying he could not believe there was not a foul on the last play. He saw the news this morning and it gives no context as to the fact that we had a foul to give. Just that Coach K was angry about a no call.

I just replied back that we had a foul to give anyway and it made no difference. He concurred, then he wondered why Coach K got angry.

I'm not 100% on this college rule. How is this not a foul in the act of shooting?

Trevor obviously bodies him. He then does not take another dribble. He then makes an attempt to still heave the ball toward the basket. It clearly must be a shot attempt because there is no time for him to be trying to do anything else.

Put it this way - I think the 'shot attempt' was ignored because he was so far from the basket and because he didn't take a normal jump and release jumpshot. But had this happened on non-last-second play, and 15' from the rim, wouldn't you expect he'd get two shots?

If this exact play had happened to cooney with us on the short end, Boeheim goes postal and the board goes into apoplexy. We got 'lucky,' and maybe this evens out the CJ/jacket affair.

It's a W. Let's just accept and enjoy it until it gets abdicated 12 years from now.

I'm not 100% on this college rule. How is this not a foul in the act of shooting?

Trevor obviously bodies him. He then does not take another dribble. He then makes an attempt to still heave the ball toward the basket. It clearly must be a shot attempt because there is no time for him to be trying to do anything else.

Put it this way - I think the 'shot attempt' was ignored because he was so far from the basket and because he didn't take a normal jump and release jumpshot. But had this happened on non-last-second play, and 15' from the rim, wouldn't you expect he'd get two shots?

If this exact play had happened to cooney with us on the short end, Boeheim goes postal and the board goes into apoplexy. We got 'lucky,' and maybe this evens out the CJ/jacket affair.

It's a W. Let's just accept and enjoy it until it gets abdicated 12 years from now.

I think you stated well in your own description why it isn't a shooting foul "Trevor obviously bodies him. He then does not take another dribble. He then makes an attempt to still heave the ball toward the basket." He was fouled first then attempts to take a shot - it wasn't a foul committed in the act of shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom